GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 H&R model 1904 .38 caliber
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

scottminnier
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2009 :  12:27:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I have a H&R model 1904 .38 double action revolver. I used the forum several monthes ago to help me figure out which cartriges to use. What was decided was that they should be .38 s&w. Ihad it out to shoot for the first time yesterday. The shells were getting hung up between the hammer and primer end of the shell. What would cause this? It would not allow the double action to work. I fired three shots which went fine, however the cylinder wouldnt rotate and everything jammed. I took the cylinder out and their was bullet fragments around the barrel at the front of the cylinder. Are the catridges wrong? Is it a problem with the gun? What should I do? Without bullets in the cylinder it functions as it should. Please advise. ????????

Thank you in advance for any input you can give.

scott minnier

MIKE WISKEY
Advanced Member

7956 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2009 :  4:37:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
from your discription it sounds like the cylinder is out of time with the barrel, are the firing pin dents in the fired shells on center, or off to one side?

Go to Top of Page

nmyers
Advanced Member

12674 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2009 :  4:53:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you check the timing?

To do this, remove all cartridges from the gun. Cock the hammer. While holding the hammer back with your thumb, pull the trigger & keep the trigger in the "fired" position. Ease the hammer all the way forward while continuing to hold the trigger back. Once the hammer is all the way forward, check the cylinder for looseness & rotation.

Repeat for all charge holes in the cylinder.

Neal
Go to Top of Page

32 Magnum

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2009 :  5:33:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
+1 on what Nmyers and Mike Whiskey posted. I have about a dozen of this model in my collection, about half are .38 S&W - unless the piece you have is in EXCELLENT condition - I would be reluctant to fire it. These were "blue collar" utilitarian firearms at the time of their production and God only knows what happened to them during their years of life. Err on the safe side and have a qualified gunsmith take a close look at it before you take it out and shoot it again. Although this model was designed and designated to replace the earlier American Double Action revolver, for some reason it never caught on and from the serial numbers, it apparently never sold very well, at least not as well as the ADA which continued in production even during the production period (1905-circa 1941) of the Model 1904. There had to be a reason for this????????????

Jim Hauff H&R Collector/Researcher
~ thanks to Bill Goforth, RIP my friend.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page