GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Winchester Model 70 22 250
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

asquires2
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2009 :  7:27:42 PM  Show Profile
I have a chance to get my hands on a Winchester Model 70 22 250 w/ bull barrel. My question is how good /worthy is this gun ? Thx for any advice you can give.

nononsense

9001 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  09:42:36 AM  Show Profile
asquires2,

There are generically 4-versions of the Winchester Model 70 rifle:

Pre-'64
Post-'63
Classic
FNH USA (Columbia, South Carolina)

There can be some contentious support for each of these variations, mostly between the Pre- and Post-'64 designs. In general though, the M70s have been well build, sturdy rifles known for reasonable accuracy and durability. One of the little known but great attributes to this design is that the action is the most rigid of the commercial designs. 'Across-the-Course' shooters have been using the Post-'64 actions for competition rifles for a long time.

"My question is how good /worthy is this gun ?"

The answer to this is dependent on lots of variables. Overall, the condition of the barrel will have the greatest impact on the usable value of the rifle. The .22-250 cartridge can be really hard on barrels, especially if deployed in large fields of prairie dogs and used without restraint. I would have the barrel borescoped by a gunsmith to see how much wear has taken place. If the barrel suffers from significant erosion, the value should be less since you might need to have it re-barreled.

I'm a fan of the Winchester trigger design. It's easy to tune to your tastes, within reason and is reliable and repeatably consistent as a field trigger. The entire rifle is a classic design and worthy of continued use in its original form as long as it hasn't been abused.

Best.

Edited by - Bert H. on 05/12/2009 8:24:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

asquires2
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  10:47:11 PM  Show Profile
Ok I just got the info for the Winchester Model 70,

Model 70 Sporter Varmit in a 22.250
Serial # is G2048403 made in New Haven

The guy says its about 8/10 yrs old and on a scale of 1/10 its a 8.5.

Could someone tell me with the serial number if this rifle is up to par or is it below par?
Go to Top of Page

Hawkshaw

USA
773 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  11:41:57 PM  Show Profile
Hi asquires-----My Blue book says your gun was born in 1992. I have 1% reservation with year because my book stops at 1991 with ending SN. of G2037985. HAWKSHAW
Go to Top of Page

He Dog
Advanced Member

Australia
37558 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  12:17:32 PM  Show Profile
85% after10 years indicates it has been well used. I would indeed have a smith check the bore, there may have been a lot of bullets down it.

Beautiful answer Nononsense!

The average response time for a 911 call is 23 minutes; the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.
Go to Top of Page

GuvamintCheese
Advanced Member

30663 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  1:49:22 PM  Show Profile
What his asking price?
Go to Top of Page

asquires2
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  1:52:48 PM  Show Profile
As far as being well used I was told it only had about 8 boxes put through it but Im gonna have it looked at anyway. I was also told that there were some made in New Haven which were good and some made in South Carolina that were bad , any truth to these?
Go to Top of Page

asquires2
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  06:31:49 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by cartod

What his asking price?

We are working out a trade , my target bow for his gun.
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15901 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  1:26:02 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by asquires2

As far as being well used I was told it only had about 8 boxes put through it but Im gonna have it looked at anyway. I was also told that there were some made in New Haven which were good and some made in South Carolina that were bad , any truth to these?

Only 160 rounds through a 17 year old rifle, doesn't seem like the bore would be trashed. As the previous poster noted though, if they were all shot in 20 minutes, your going to have problems.

Seems like a good deal as a even trade for a bow.

Only way your going to know specifically, is if he lets you test fire it though.

Go to Top of Page

sandwarrior
Advanced Member

USA
5333 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  3:13:06 PM  Show Profile
asquires2,

IMO what you have there is about $450-$500 rifle provided the barrel is in decent shape(95%). Not including any scopes. As nononsense mentioned there is a lot of contention between variations of when the rifle was built. The biggest following, therefore value, is the Pre-'64's Then the Post-96's or the FN's and finally your group, the Post-'64's. The quality of Winchester, I believe, has always been there. At least as far as shooting. The fit and finish did suffer when Winchester initially changed over from the 'controlled round feed' to the 'push round feed' (main difference between pre- and post- '64). However, each time you go up a grade the value increases too. So your Varmint Sporter adds a little value to the rifle. But not a huge amount. It isn't like post-64's aren't plentiful.

FWIW, my most accurate rifle I ever owned was a varmint barrel or HB in a post-'64 in .222 Rem. They are very accurate rifles. If he would let you shoot it, or at least prove to you by shooting it with you there that it is accurate then I would say you have a pretty fair deal on your hands.

Every shot serves a purpose, whether accurate or inaccurate. It will always tell you what you did, and did not do, right. Even if all you have is a fraction of a second to make it, learn from it. So the next one is even better.
Go to Top of Page

asquires2
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  9:04:55 PM  Show Profile
We've made the trade the gun it topped off with a VIII 3.5-10x50 Leupy scope. Im kinda wiery about it seeing as to how its coming through the mail but its too late now to back out.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page