GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Does buyer need FFL for a Nonworking pistol
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jodago
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  1:52:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was wondering if I had a nonworking pistol and sold it on GunBroker,would the buyer need a FFL tranfer and go through all the steps as if it were a working pistol?

Nwcid
Advanced Member

USA
9219 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  1:54:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You do not need a FFL for selling parts. You do for selling a gun working or not.

IF you have the receiver ie the serial numbered part you HAVE to send it to an FFL is shipping. The serial numbed part IS the gun, everything else is just parts.

In the pic below the middle part is a bare piece of metal with noting attached to it, it IS a firearm. It is the receiver, serial numbed part of an AR-10. All the parts attached to one in the bottom pic is just parts and can be sold without going though an FFL. The main receiver part still has to be shipped to an FFL. The piece in the top of the pic is and upper receiver. In this gun the upper receiver is not considered the serial numbered part so is just parts.

Just a thought Why would you ask members of a gun forum if you should buy a gun. Kinda like an alcoholic going into a bar to hoping to have someone tell him not to drink.

Anyone who would sacrifice freedom for security deserves neither!!!

Gun control defined: The theory that people who are willing to ignore laws against rape, torture, kidnapping, theft, and murder will obey a law which prohibits them from owning a firearm.

What are MG's for?
Because if you are going to cry out, "Say Hello To My Little Fren" and you are holding a bolt action .22, you have no style.

John

Edited by - Nwcid on 05/04/2009 1:58:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Wehrmacht_45
Advanced Member

3231 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  3:29:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the gun is made after 1898, they will need an FFL if you sell the whole gun.

Now if you take it apart, you can sell everything but the frame and not require a FFL.

The frame of the handgun is considered the gun by the ATF.

America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

11b6r
Advanced Member

USA
13128 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  4:12:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just shipped a receiver for a 22 rifle to a friend. No barrel, no bolt, no sear, trigger, etc. About us "unworking" as can be. But unless it had been torch cut into 3 pieces, it is STILL a firearm, and I needed to list it out in my bound volume to HIS FFL.

"Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine."
Go to Top of Page

jodago
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  6:09:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about a pistol being sold in the same city like st.louis ,Missouri?
Go to Top of Page

11b6r
Advanced Member

USA
13128 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  6:19:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are selling, giving, or otherwise thransferring a firearm FACE TO FACE to a resident of your state, and do not have cause to believe that person is ineligible to possess, then as I understand the law in Missouri, it does not have to go thru a FFL. Across a state line, yes. To a resident of another state, yes. face to face, same state, no.

Read here: http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbystate/a/gunlaws_mo.htm

"Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine."
Go to Top of Page

jodago
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  6:21:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Very Much, You've big a Huge Help.
Go to Top of Page

MNDoug
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  08:17:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, if you sell a firearm in pieces with the intent that it will be reassembled into a firearm (working or not), the ATF looks askance at that as well. But that transaction would also be covered until the rule that an FFL must be used to transfer any piece carrying a registration number, i.e., receiver.

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." - H.L. Mencken
Go to Top of Page

givette
Advanced Member

11186 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  3:49:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MNDoug

Also, if you sell a firearm in pieces with the intent that it will be reassembled into a firearm (working or not), the ATF looks askance at that as well. But that transaction would also be covered until the rule that an FFL must be used to transfer any piece carrying a registration number, i.e., receiver.

Then you are not selling a firearm. (item in blue). ATF will not "look askance" at anything. Either a law has been violated, and they'll move on it, or not, and they can't. Again (item in green) receivers are the firearms. Nothing else. When you buy a gun at the gunshop, paperwork involved is for the receiver, the parts attached to the receiver are just along for the ride. Best, Joe

Edited by - givette on 05/10/2009 3:52:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Herschel

2023 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  4:15:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
givette is right on target.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page