GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Solid Frame Revolvers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NRA1
Starting Member

22 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  07:22:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently came across a bunch of old solid frame revolvers and parts. I am looking to talk to an expert on them. Is there anyone out there who might be willing to share some knowledge?

I'm looking to identify, date, and discover the calibers on the ones that aren't marked. I know the values are pretty insignificant, so I don't really care about appraising them.

There is a H&A #6, a H&A Safety Police, and an Iver Johnson 1900.

Also 2 US Revolver Co. Top Break pistols (One Hammerless), a JLG Secret Service Special Hammerles Top Break (never heard of it), and an Eastern Arms Co. Hammerless Top Break.

The first order of business would be dating them. Anybody know when these companies were in business or the range of dates when these models were produced?

Batteries are dead in my camera, so I won't have pictures for a few days until I drive into town, sorry!

Thanks in Advance!!

MIKE WISKEY
Advanced Member

8001 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  09:15:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
b. goforth is the man you want, he'll probably be here shortly.

Go to Top of Page

captkirk3@dslextreme.com
Administrator

5098 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  11:52:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heres a couple that I found in My data base...
SECRET SERVICE SPECIAL, Made for Fred Biffer, Chicago, Ill., by Iver-Johnson and Meriden.
EASTERN ARMS CO., Made by Meriden Firearms and sold by Sears-Roebuck...
Hope this helps You out.....Best....

Hopkins & Allen XL.No,6, .41 Short R.F.., Solid Frame, Spur Trigger, Five shot, single Action..

HOPKINS & ALLEN, Safety Police,.22 L.R.R.F., Top Break, Double Action, Various Barrel Lengths..

As for the Model 1900, theres 9 or 10 Model 1900's listed in My data base...Need some specifics listed to be able to identify the 1900..

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff<P><BR>

GunBroker.com Moderator
The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles
Go to Top of Page

NRA1
Starting Member

22 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  12:24:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, thanks! Knowing the info about Meriden answered some of my biggest questions.

Do you know if the U.S. Revolver Co. had a parent company too?

The IJ 1900 is a .22 and has Owl's Head grips.

Thanks Again!!

Go to Top of Page

b.goforth

966 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  12:59:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hopkins & allen
made several model with the #6 in the model name example;
H&A #6 a single action spur trigger revolver
H&A Double action #6 a solid frame double action revolver
H&A XL #6 Double Action a better quality double action revolver
the #6 probable refers to caliber of 38 rimfire or centerfire depending on just what model it is.
the H&A Safety police Model a top break revolver offered in 22, 32 and 38 manufactured between 1909 and 1917.

iver johnson
model 1900 manufactured between 1900 and 1941, three frame sizes four different calibers
u.s. revolver CO made by iver johnson between 1910 and 1935. top break and solid frame models.
look for the main serial number location under the grips on the left side of the grip frame

secret service special made for fred biffar co. chicago. 5 different manufacturer involved in their manufacture. JLG is an anknown (for now) spanish manufacturer and most likely the last company fred biffar used in the early 1930's

eastern arms co. manufactured by meriden arms majority of their firearms were sold by sears but they have also been seen in other company catalogs. usually what sears did not take were sold to other companies like fred biffar and hibberd, spencer, bartlett & co. eastern arms co. markings have been seen on firearms manufactured as early as 1900 and as late as 1942. the top break revolvers seem to date about the time of wwI. meriden firearms are not know for their longevity.

in top break revolvers almost every manufacturer used 3 inch barrel length as standard for the small frame and the caliber of the small frames were 7 shot 22 and 5 shot 32 S&W. large frame top breaks usually have a 3 1/4 inch standard barrel length and the calibers will be either 6 shot 32 S&W or 5 shot 38 S&W. the 6 shot 32 S&W Long large frame top break revolver did not come along until after 1905.
bill
Go to Top of Page

NRA1
Starting Member

22 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  3:01:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You sir, have an impressive amount of knowledge. I am genuinely impressed.

Thank you very much for the information. I will take that all in and run with it.
Go to Top of Page

Spartacus
Advanced Member

12068 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  9:41:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
who was that masked man????

What part of 'shall not be infringed' do you not understand?

forgive your enemies, but NEVER forget their names.....JFK

The average response time for a 911 call is 4 minutes.
the average response time for a .357 magnum is 1400 FPS.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page