GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Very old 10 Ga.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hrbie

USA
483 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  01:01:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have what looks to be a supre old 10 Ga. Only markings i can find on the gun are on the sides of the trigger assembly and the top of the barrel. On the side it says "W. Moore & Co." and on the barrel it says "London Fine Twist". Just looking to get some info. Ill try to get pics up tomorrow. Thanks

Spider7115

USA
24769 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  07:01:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You didn't say but is this is a breechloading, double-barrel hammer gun? Take off the forearm and look for proofmarks underneath the barrel near the receiver. If you see "ELG", it's Belgian. Crossed halberds (scepters), it's British. Post any markings you find (crowns, etc.). Pictures will also help.

-"SPIDER"

ALLAH KA-BAR!

GunBroker.com Moderator
The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Edited by - Spider7115 on 05/06/2009 07:04:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

hrbie

USA
483 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  10:13:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah it is a double barrel hammer gun. Sorry the late night post made me forget to tell all the info. Pics up late tonight.
Go to Top of Page

He Dog
Advanced Member

Australia
37404 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  10:23:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"London Fine Twist" indicates damascus steel barrels. Don't shoot it without haveing it thoughly checked by a smith with fiber optics, and then black powder only.

The average response time for a 911 call is 23 minutes; the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.
Go to Top of Page

cbyerly

695 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  12:57:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wm Moore was a rather prolific maker of medium and low grade English double guns. They usually have skelp barrels which are the lowest grade and unless they are mint (NO PITTING), I would not shoot it. These have been in the "wall hanger" category for years.
Go to Top of Page

He Dog
Advanced Member

Australia
37404 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  1:05:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cbyerly, I have never seen the word skelp before to denote twisted wire barrels, thanks for the lesson!

The average response time for a 911 call is 23 minutes; the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.
Go to Top of Page

hrbie

USA
483 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  6:19:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No plans on shooting it. Just trying to find out the history of the gun. The forearm looks rather complicated to get off. Ill try to get to the water markings later tonight if i get some time. Kinda busy, you guys know how stuff just pops up. Ill get pics posted soon. Thanks for input.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page