GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Can nonFFL holder ship gun to FFL holder in Penn
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KX500

421 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2002 :  12:29:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've sold a gun to a guy in Pennsylvania. He tells me that the guy with the FFL, who he plans to use to make the transfer, tells him that an FFL in PA can't accept a gun from anybody but another FFL holder. Is Pennsylvania unique or is the FFL holder misinformed?

Any Pennsylvania FFL holders out there?

aglore
Advanced Member

USA
5290 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2002 :  2:12:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't know what PA state law says but no such federal law requires a rifle or shotgun to go from a FFL to an FFL by USPS or any other method of transport. A non-licensee cannot ship a handgun by USPS but may use UPS or Fed-Ex type service.

AlleninAlaska

http://www.outdoor-o-rama.com

He who dares not offend cannot be honest.
-- Thomas Paine

Go to Top of Page

martzkj@msn.com

568 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2002 :  2:55:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I do it all the time. His dealer is just trying to make it hard for the two of you. If he is in central Pa let me know and I will give you a dealers name who will help him out.
Go to Top of Page

ammunition098765
Starting Member

42 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2003 :  11:16:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi
people have any gun law questions
please e mail
wolfs sporting center
hes be in the gun business 50 years
he will know pa gun laws

cwolfgun@ptd.net

timmy
Go to Top of Page

boeboe
Advanced Member

4009 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2003 :  11:49:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are many dealers who believe they can only receive from an FFL. I have an old friend who is a large dealer in Wichita, KS. I was in his shop one day and he commented that only an FFL can ship a gun to another FFL. He didn't like doing internet sales because he had non-FFLs sending him stuff. Being an old friend, we didn't get into an arguement about it, but certainly had a discussion about it. He said he had an ATF agent tell him that specifically. I tend to believe there are ATF agents who don't know the law, and spread this sort of stuff around just because it sounds good to them.

I made him check his regulations, and he couldn't find any requirement that it takes an FFL to ship to an FFL. He thought he'd found it once, but I made him read it carefully, and he say that's not what it said. Being a bit stuborn, he said he still wouldn't do it because Wichita PD required all guns be screened against their hot list. I told him, of course, he could conduct his business any way he wanted, but there was no Federal law requiring shipment from FFL to FFL.

Of course, we are old friends, no hurt feelings, but the main thing it led me to believe was there are ATF agents out spreading this crap around.

To err is human, to moo is bovine.
Go to Top of Page

LABWILD

USA
524 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2003 :  08:07:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had this same situation happen with a dealer in Ohio and he was listed on GunBroker. There needs to be an understanding by dealers who post their services on the site, that they will help and not hinder the process.

I realize FFLs have a difficult time interpreting laws and dealing with ATF agents (who may have their own interpretation). We need to stick together (buyers, sellers and dealers) and try to resolve these problems.
Go to Top of Page

GreginAlaska

58 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2003 :  06:37:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the ATF's website. an individual can send guns to a person in his own state or to a dealer in another state. It doesn't need to be from dealer to dealer, but an individual can't send it to another individual in a different state. What a croc.

May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her
own State or to a licensee in any State. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another State. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any packageindicating that it contains a firearm.

May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-State source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser#8217;s own State?
A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring
firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser's State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page