GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 W L Ormsby
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ricker
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  3:11:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/thumbs/DSC003801.JPGCan anyone tell me if a gun has this signature WLOrmsby on the chamber does that make the gun an original or genaric? Also how can I tell how old the gun is? Is there certain marks I should look for?

Edited by - ricker on 05/10/2009 3:49:01 PM

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15834 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  3:17:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

INSTRUCTIONS FOR POSTING PHOTOS IN THIS FORUM

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294
Go to Top of Page

Hawk Carse
Advanced Member

3501 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  3:47:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ormsby designed the cylinder scenes for Colt cap and ball revolvers. They have been copied on all manner of clones. It is going to take good pictures and a full list of all markings not clearly shown in pictures.
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15834 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  3:57:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

As H.C. noted we need more quality close up photos, to help answer your question(s). Most likely with the photos you have posted though, it appears to be a modern made. (probably Italian) replica.
Go to Top of Page

ricker
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  4:42:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all of your help here are some more pics!/img]/img][imgimg]/img]
quote:
Originally posted by rufe-snow

As H.C. noted we need more quality close up photos, to help answer your question(s). Most likely with the photos you have posted though, it appears to be a modern made. (probably Italian) replica.

Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15834 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  5:05:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Your revolver was made in Italy in 1976. The Italian proof marks include a coded date, ( "AB" in a square ).
Go to Top of Page

Hawk Carse
Advanced Member

3501 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  5:11:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Certainly of modern make, certainly Italian.
I think it is a copy of the Colt 3rd model Dragoon with sights for use with shoulder stock.
If I squint my eyes and peer at the small pictures, I think I can make out that it was built by Armi San Marco, who are no longer in business as such, although they may have been absorbed by one of the other replica companies. As rufe says and shows in the enlarged picture, (square) AB shows manufacture in 1976. 33 years old, not 150.
Go to Top of Page

ricker
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  7:58:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you guys so much you have all been a lot of help. I have only one more question If I were to sale the gun what would it be worth ? Thanks agian
quote:
Originally posted by Hawk Carse

Certainly of modern make, certainly Italian.
I think it is a copy of the Colt 3rd model Dragoon with sights for use with shoulder stock.
If I squint my eyes and peer at the small pictures, I think I can make out that it was built by Armi San Marco, who are no longer in business as such, although they may have been absorbed by one of the other replica companies. As rufe says and shows in the enlarged picture, (square) AB shows manufacture in 1976. 33 years old, not 150.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page