GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Ruger mark II pistol sights
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

79mustang

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  09:33:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking for a better pair of sights for my ruger mkII. I want something more precise. Anyone got some suggestions or know where to get some?

"Don't hit at all if you can help it; don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." Theodore Roosevelt

moonshine
Advanced Member

Canary Islands
6538 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  09:57:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
might try here

http://www.novaksights.com/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

beantownshootah
Advanced Member

USA
13157 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  3:34:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First decide how much money you're willing to spend on this. Then see the following in increasing order of cost. The last two are pricier, but include installation.

http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/pistol.htm

http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RSC&Product_Code=VC2TL

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/22srmn.htm#sight

https://www.volquartsen.com/products/288-llv-w-sights-for-ruger-mkiimkiii-silver

Go to Top of Page

perry shooter
Advanced Member

13982 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  6:05:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you look at target pistols even those used in the olympic games you will see large square top front sight normally 1/8 inch wide the KEY is good clear focus on the front sight and the rear sightly fuzzy and the target even more OUT OF FOCUS this is a hard concept to accept but it does work the other type of sights that have found favor is the RED DOT not lazer and not a Scope but a one power red dot you now have a dot and a target that appear to the shooter on the same distance plane. The older you are the harder it is to clearly see IRON SIGHTS.
Go to Top of Page

USA
963 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  6:55:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
look at the MILLET sights
Go to Top of Page

alexdolhyj
Starting Member

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  11:27:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a ruger employee and being quite proficient with the MKII and the MKIII you may be able to interchange the fiber optic sights from the newer hunter line to your MKII. im 80% sure of it or you can go the Millet route or get the crimson trace grips which i have to say are way fun on the test fire range., best of luck
Go to Top of Page

beantownshootah
Advanced Member

USA
13157 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  11:07:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alexdolhyj

As a ruger employee and being quite proficient with the MKII and the MKIII you may be able to interchange the fiber optic sights from the newer hunter line to your MKII. im 80% sure of it or you can go the Millet route or get the crimson trace grips which i have to say are way fun on the test fire range., best of luck

The original question was about increasing precision.

In my experience, the fiber optic type sights are really nice to see, and particularly good in low-light conditions, but they are not quite as precise as a good set of target sights. Its just that they weren't designed with maximum precision in mind.

If you want maximum precision with open/iron sights, you want to use target sights that use crisp angles designed specifically for maximum precision.

As Perry Shooter suggested, another way to get more precision is to use an optical sighting system on your gun. So you could use a red-dot scope (which is what most Bullseye shooters use), a reflex-type sight (which is basically like a red-dot, but with an open tube design) or a conventional magnified pistol scope, etc. Optical sights are especially good for older shooters whose eyes can't necessarily focus as well as they used to.

Projected laser sights have their own issues. The dot works well indoors, or in low light, but outside (particularly in bright sunlight), the laser can be hard to see. Some models won't hold a zero well, making it hard to get pinpoint accuracy. Lastly, many people find the constant "dancing" of the laser dot on the target to be disconcerting.

If you like the idea of a laser sight, but want maximum precision, you're probably better off with a dot or reflex type sight, which will give you the same sort of sight picture as a laser (ie with a red dot in the same plane of focus as the target), BUT will be adjustable for brightness and maybe for dot diameter as well.

A magnified type pistol scope is really good for accurate shooting at distance, but its best used off a rest as the magnification REALLY increases the "wobble" perceived from an ordinary pistol grip.

Go to Top of Page

RCrosby
Advanced Member

3497 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  1:57:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any Milletts I've had have rather shallow rear notches which I find difficult for precision (non-optical work) Bomars are one of the better offerings for reasonably priced, quality open sight.
IMHO

Rob
NRA Life Member
Go to Top of Page

txski
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2009 :  11:47:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm installing the Williams Fire Sights on a Ruger MKII bull barrel. Front sight is no prob
and removed the stock rear sight but am stumped on how to attach the new one. Excuse me
as i'm not mechanically inclined but the new rear sight consists of the sight, a screw and plate that slides onto the barrel. The plate obviously screw into the sight but how?
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page