GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Info on the Colt 1909 U.S.M.C
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fredh46
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  1:28:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aside from the little bit of information found in Clawson's book, is there any other source of difinitive information about the 1909, especially the USMC marked pistols? I have just acquired one, serial number 26060 on the crane, cylinder, and frame with a Marine Corps butt number of 1060. It has considerable blue remaining and has the original checkered grips (although there is a small piece missing form the left grip). My main question is, were the Marine Corps purchased pistols inspected and so stamped? This pistol has no inspectors marks anywhere that I can see and the barrel is not marked United States Property like the Army 1909 I have. I was told by the folks at Jackson Armory in Dallas that the Marine pistols were not marked with the inspectors stamp or US Property barrel marks. Any comments, opinions are appreciated. This is my first post on this forum....hope I did it correctly.

JudgeColt

2386 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2009 :  11:52:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The best source of information on the New Service is "Colt New Service Revolvers" by Bob Murphy, but there is only about a three-page section on the USMC Model 1909. Your description basically covers what the author says about the USMC M1909. The rest of the section is devoted to contract information and replacement frame issues.

Your revolver sounds absolutely correct for a USMC M1909.

The Model 1909 is the lowest production military issue arm of which I am aware, with only about 13,000 to 18,303 being made, depending on the source quoted. Therefore, all Models 1909 are uncommon, with the USMC at about 1,300 and the USN at about 1,100 being the least common.

The Murphy book can be purchased from most gun book dealers. Do a book price search for the lowest price.

You have a good one.
Go to Top of Page

fredh46
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2009 :  10:01:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much Judge, I really appreciate your comments and information. I'll start looking for the Murphy book. I would estimate that there is approximately 40% original blue, the rest having turned brown, with no pitting on the exterior and an excellent bright bore. The cylinder locks up tight and the pistol appears to function flawlessly. Aside from the aforementioned missing piece from the left grip stock, the pistol is very pleasing to look at. Any estimate on value??
Go to Top of Page

JudgeColt

2386 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2009 :  01:14:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hate to speculate on value, since it depends on timing and the "fever" of a potential buyer, preferably two competing buyers. There are so few USMC Models of 1909 sold that there is no "regular" trade price for such guns.

With that qualification, I would GUESS that a USMC M1909 would be worth at least twice what a US Army one in equal condition would be worth, but I really do not know.
Go to Top of Page

fredh46
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2009 :  08:02:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Judge, I greatly appreciate your insight. BTW, I did find Murphy's book on-line at IDSA Books (www.idsabooks.com). It is a pretty amazing site with hundreds, if not thousands, of military and gun related books. Hope you have a great Father's Day.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page