GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 help solve an argument (lightning link)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wlfmn323
Advanced Member

USA
3035 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  10:37:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
talking to a buddy today and he is under the impression that lightening links are legal, and can be installed with no paperwork/tax, transfer stamp. i told him i didnt know but was unsure if this was true. anyone out there have any insight into this?

DEO GRATIAS!

fear the government that fears its people
fear the government with greater firepower (unknown)

"looks like a mauser to me" (dallas police officer)

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. (Unknown)

Mercury
Advanced Member

6185 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  10:53:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He is WRONG!

Period.

Merc

I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

“In spite of the wildly speculative and false stories of arms for hostages and alleged ransom payments, we did not, repeat, did not, trade weapons or anything else for hostages. Nor will we.”

–President Ronald Reagan, November 13, 1986

Need Gun Cleaning Brushes? FREE SHIPPING FOR FORUM MEMBERS!

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.aspx?User=227371
Go to Top of Page

KEVD18
Advanced Member

USA
15410 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  10:55:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
your buddy is wrong and will go to jail for a very very long time.
Go to Top of Page

SCOUT5
Advanced Member

8821 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  10:56:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's a lightning link?
Go to Top of Page

Nwcid
Advanced Member

USA
9219 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  11:03:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A lighting link is a piece of metal that goes in the lower of an AR and give you the option of Safe and Full Auto. http://www.quarterbore.com/nfa/lightninglink.html

A lighting link IS the machine gun in this case. IF it is registered with the NFA then it is a legal LL. A registered LL can be LEGALLY placed in ANY AR since the LL IS the machine gun.

I believe the current price of registered LL is about $8-10,000.

Just a thought Why would you ask members of a gun forum if you should buy a gun. Kinda like an alcoholic going into a bar to hoping to have someone tell him not to drink.

Anyone who would sacrifice freedom for security deserves neither!!!

Gun control defined: The theory that people who are willing to ignore laws against rape, torture, kidnapping, theft, and murder will obey a law which prohibits them from owning a firearm.

What are MG's for?
Because if you are going to cry out, "Say Hello To My Little Fren" and you are holding a bolt action .22, you have no style.

John

Edited by - Nwcid on 06/22/2009 11:05:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

SCOUT5
Advanced Member

8821 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  11:09:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nwcid

A lighting link is a piece of metal that goes in the lower of an AR and give you the option of Safe and Full Auto. http://www.quarterbore.com/nfa/lightninglink.html

A lighting link IS the machine gun in this case. IF it is registered with the NFA then it is a legal LL. A registered LL can be LEGALLY placed in ANY AR since the LL IS the machine gun.

I believe the current price of registered LL is about $8-10,000.

Thanks, I figured it was something r/t full auto.
Go to Top of Page

D1
Advanced Member

USA
8390 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  11:16:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did not need to see that.
Go to Top of Page

mark christian
Administrator

Panama
19070 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  11:19:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is my own "Link" installed in a lower receiver. The neat thing about the "link" is that you can switch it around to any lower that you wish, giving you the option of having any number of full auto AR-15 rifles.

With the "Link" in the lower the machine gun takes precedence over the short barreled rifle and you can match any upper to a "Linked Lower" with no concerns for barrel length.

Edited by - mark christian on 06/22/2009 11:52:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

wlfmn323
Advanced Member

USA
3035 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  11:20:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, thats what i thought. he was talking about getting one from a guy he works with for a couple hundred. "its all up and up" he says. i hope he listens to reason and has no part of it. on the off chance(very OFF CHANCE) that the thing is registered( sometimes you run across someone who dont know what things are worth) it would have to be transferred through a class III, right?

DEO GRATIAS!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. (Unknown)
Go to Top of Page

wlfmn323
Advanced Member

USA
3035 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  11:22:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark christian

Here is my own "Link" installed in a lower receiver. The neat thing about the "link" is that you can switch it around to any lower that you wish, giving you the option of having any number of full auto AR-15 rifles.

With the "Link" in the lower the machine gun takes precedence over the short barreled rifle and you can match any upper to a "Linked Lower" with no concerns for barrel length.

dam it, now ya got me drooling on my keyboard.

DEO GRATIAS!

Edited by - wlfmn323 on 06/22/2009 11:23:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Nwcid
Advanced Member

USA
9219 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  11:24:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wlfmn323

yeah, thats what i thought. he was talking about getting one from a guy he works with for a couple hundred. "its all up and up" he says. i hope he listens to reason and has no part of it. on the off chance(very OFF CHANCE) that the thing is registered( sometimes you run across someone who dont know what things are worth) it would have to be transferred through a class III, right?

IF it was registered and both parties are in the same state you can do a Form 4 by yourself and dont need to go thought a dealer.

If it is not registered it is worth $250,000 and 20 years in club fed.

Just a thought Why would you ask members of a gun forum if you should buy a gun. Kinda like an alcoholic going into a bar to hoping to have someone tell him not to drink.

Gun control defined: The theory that people who are willing to ignore laws against rape, torture, kidnapping, theft, and murder will obey a law which prohibits them from owning a firearm.

What are MG's for?
Because if you are going to cry out, "Say Hello To My Little Fren" and you are holding a bolt action .22, you have no style.

John
Go to Top of Page

wlfmn323
Advanced Member

USA
3035 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  11:25:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thermonuclear

It's always up and up til the cell door slams shut... I would avoid going shooting with him at all cost!

Is this an NFA item? I would like to have one...

yeah, i think maybe a "not if your gonna take that" or a "how about we get my a.r. out, havent shot it for a day or two" would be in order. like i said i hope he listens to reason, heck for all i know he might be fixen to by a very expensive hellfire!

DEO GRATIAS!

Edited by - wlfmn323 on 06/22/2009 11:27:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Nwcid
Advanced Member

USA
9219 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  11:26:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark I borrowed the LL pic off line on a pic search. Had no idea it was yours. Looks like I picked well

What are MG's for?

John
Go to Top of Page

KEVD18
Advanced Member

USA
15410 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  11:29:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if he can buy registered lightning links for a few hundred, i'll take as many as i can get and pay him a 10% finders fee.

they normally sell for thousands. oh, and if he paychs for it and walks out the door with it, it likely isnt legal as the proper(legal) process takes motnhs and a crap ton of paperwork
Go to Top of Page

wlfmn323
Advanced Member

USA
3035 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  11:30:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so long as it doesnt get poofed, i plan on showing him this thread tommorrow. thanks y'all

DEO GRATIAS!

Go to Top of Page

mark christian
Administrator

Panama
19070 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  11:36:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Mark I borrowed the LL pic off line on a pic search. Had no idea it was yours. Looks like I picked well

Different serial numbers. The M15 A.C. is not the serial number, it was SWD's desgination for their "Link". The actual serial number was electro-penciled ahead of that number and mine is obscured (in grey) for security reasons. They all look the same, only the numbers are different. The good folks at Colt took an extra step to be sure that no Link could be installed in their later AR-15 rifles by filling in the space needed to mount the "Link" at the rear of the lower:

This also prevents the use of a Drop In Auto Sear.

Edited by - mark christian on 06/22/2009 11:44:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Survivalist86
Advanced Member

USA
2682 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  11:41:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just curious, but couldn't you make one with a Dremmel and a hack saw? I am not sure what it is, but it looks pretty simple

http://www.survivalismforums.com

My auctions http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.aspx?User=707691 <--reloading brass

Go to Top of Page

mark christian
Administrator

Panama
19070 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  11:46:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Survivalist86

Just curious, but couldn't you make one with a Dremmel and a hack saw? I am not sure what it is, but it looks pretty simple

Prior to 1986 you could and many people did. Plans for building your own LL were sold at gun shows as well as through mail order for a few bucks. Those days are done and they are not coming back .
Go to Top of Page

cnsay

1274 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  01:28:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just want to say I'm in awe of Mark's firearms collection and knowledge.

Too many projects to spend time on the computer.

The free market guarantees each man an equal chance, not an equal outcome.

Go to Top of Page

Nwcid
Advanced Member

USA
9219 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  02:15:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Different serial numbers. The M15 A.C. is not the serial number, it was SWD's desgination for their "Link". The actual serial number was electro-penciled ahead of that number and mine is obscured (in grey) for security reasons.

Well the pic I posted looks like the exact same pic as the one you posted stating "Here is my own...." so that is why I assumed it was yours.

What are MG's for?

John
Go to Top of Page

givette
Advanced Member

11185 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  03:18:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have to own the host firearm? Thanks, Joe

Go to Top of Page

drobs
Advanced Member

USA
20245 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  03:39:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
The good folks at Colt took an extra step to be sure that no Link could be installed in their later AR-15 rifles by filling in the space needed to mount the "Link" at the rear of the lower:

This also prevents the use of a Drop In Auto Sear.

Are there any current new manufacturers that have receivers that allow for the legal install of a LL?

My Auctions: http://www.GunBroker.com/All/BI.aspx?IncludeSellers=818233

Go to Top of Page

Nwcid
Advanced Member

USA
9219 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  04:49:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by drobs

Are there any current new manufacturers that have receivers that allow for the legal install of a LL?

I believe that Colt was the ONLY one to ever put in a block. Unless you have a block like either of the 2 posted in those pics you are good to go.

What are MG's for?

John
Go to Top of Page

wittynbear
Advanced Member

4919 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  04:54:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can still get a hand crank and bolt it on to your rifle. Technically then its not a full auto, the crank is just helping you to fire very fast. Either way it wastes too much ammo. Istick to semi auto 1 shot 1 kill.

Go to Top of Page

mark christian
Administrator

Panama
19070 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  08:25:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What happened to some of my photos? The photobucket link is disabled and I don't understand why. This computer stuff drives me nuts!

Edited by - mark christian on 06/23/2009 08:26:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

wlfmn323
Advanced Member

USA
3035 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  7:07:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks again folks, i have showed this thread to him and he has changed his mind. also after he seen it and described it to me as" kinda like a c with a spring and paddle that goes on the trigger"

i was right! someone was trying to sell him a hellfire, or like item for " a couple hundred dollars"! i took him out and we practiced bumpfiring today. had fun and he is happy. good day i would say.

DEO GRATIAS!

Go to Top of Page

aloha
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2010 :  6:15:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not understand why on earth anybody would pay THOUSANDS for a tiny piece of metal when it seems much more easy to simply build one your self. What is the big deal with finding a template and building your own? However I do not know very much about the LL so perhaps I am mistaken but it looks like it would be pretty simple to make anyway..
Go to Top of Page

35 Whelen
Advanced Member

USA
10822 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2010 :  7:27:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aloha

I do not understand why on earth anybody would pay THOUSANDS for a tiny piece of metal when it seems much more easy to simply build one your self. What is the big deal with finding a template and building your own? However I do not know very much about the LL so perhaps I am mistaken but it looks like it would be pretty simple to make anyway..

Wow, way to sneak in a loaded question in your first post here. That's never happened before.

I stand my ground for the very last time
Gun is ready as I stand in line
Nervous wait for the whistle to blow
Rush of blood and over we go

Blood is falling like the rain
Its crimson cloak unveils again
The sound of guns can't hide their shame
And so we die on Paschendale

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7av6mgdeCkY&feature=share

Vertroue in God en die Mauser.
Go to Top of Page

proapp

2063 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2010 :  7:31:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
9 month old thread, spammer?
Go to Top of Page

Flying Clay Disk
Advanced Member

USA
25683 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2010 :  7:37:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aloha

You go right on ahead with your bad self!

Just a few words of wisdom though...

...don't pick up the soap!

FCD

"Fortes et liber"

In the immortal words of another GB member - "...it's not much of an overstatement to say they were inhuman bloodsucking soulless vultures."

Get In...Sit Down...Shut Up...Hang On!!

Come in...Turn around...Gimme' your wallet...Bend over!!! <edited due to obamanomics>

Edited by - Flying Clay Disk on 03/20/2010 7:37:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

Txs
Advanced Member

15919 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2010 :  7:46:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by proapp

9 month old thread, spammer?
Must be a slow week.

Looks like someone has time to pore through the archives and go fishing.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page