GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Remington/Spartan/Baikal
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sgtbrown
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2009 :  11:03:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two questions: First off, Remington/Spartan Arms guns arrive with totally cheesy painted logos on the receivers and, worse yet, painted "lawyer speak" proof data on the barrels. Any suggestions on how to remove these w/o damaging the gun's finish?

Second, I'm presently awaiting the arrival of a Remington/Spartan/Baikal double rifle, my first Baikal rifle. However, I have much more experience with Baikal shotguns. None are known for having the best triggers in the business. Any tricks learned on how to clean them up?

Thanks,
Tom

tsr1965
Advanced Member

USA
7101 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2009 :  06:01:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing to keep in mind...especially in today's world, but also in the world before.

That is, you get what you pay for. I would not expect that a Bakail shotgun that used to be imported by EAA, and cost half as much (as Remington has done nothing with them except stamp their name on them...or as you say paint, and jack up the price), would compete with some of the nice features and finishing as the Huglu line imported by CZ, or the Beretta's. I would expect that the same with the double rifles. Most good doubles cost in the 10's of thousands of dollars. I am sure the Bakail will be servicable to some degree, but will not be a quarterhorse.

That said, I have an early IZH-43 SxS in 410 gauge. It was built on a 20 gauge reciever, and it has single selective trigger, auto ejectors, and a Splinter forend. The wood is european walnut, and the fit and finish is not the greatest, but is very acceptable for the $270.00 I paid for this NIB. It does center both barrels to the point of aim at 30 yards. It is built like a tank, and I suspect it should last a long time.

Best

Edited by - tsr1965 on 08/19/2009 09:29:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

22hipower

USA
576 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2009 :  08:52:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You may be pleasantly surprised by your Baikal double. I don't have one but do have their combo rifle shotgun (6.5X55 and 12 gauge). The rifle barrel is accurate and the shotgun barrel is fine too. Yes, trigger isn't anything to write home about but the gun is solid and the action is tight. Finish isn't bad. Makes a good solution for coyotes (or anything else at longer ranges) with #4 buckshot in close. For the money, the Baikal combo is hard to beat. Good luck with the double rifle.
Go to Top of Page

sgtbrown
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2009 :  6:53:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the responses Guys, but no one is answering my questions.

Anyone have experience with getting those painted logos off the gun without harming the finish? What did you use?

Anyone have any experience with cleaning up the triggers? What did you do?

Thanks,
Tom

Go to Top of Page

tsr1965
Advanced Member

USA
7101 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2009 :  05:57:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sgtbrown

Thanks for the responses Guys, but no one is answering my questions.

Anyone have experience with getting those painted logos off the gun without harming the finish? What did you use?

Anyone have any experience with cleaning up the triggers? What did you do?

Thanks,
Tom

I would try fingernail polish remover...acetone. However, knowing that cleaning solvents will be used on these, Bakail, and Big Green might have something that is a little on the stubborn side. I am sure it is not just a "paint".

As for the triggers, you are not going to be able to make a Porche or Corvette out of a Yugo. The geometry will need to be changed as well as the springs, and safety is also a concern. If you are able to find someone to do a trigger job, expect it to run into the hundreds of dollars.

Best
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page