GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Remington ACR
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NOTPARS

2000 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2009 :  4:32:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since Remington is advertising their Adaptive Combat Rifle (gas piston AR15-like rifle) in civilian mags, I assumed it was for sale on the civilian market. After visiting their website, it is kind of confusing as to whether it is for military/police/ and or for civilians (semi-auto). Does anyone know anything about this rifle and the price range? Thanks for the help.

frankgon4
Starting Member

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2009 :  05:18:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see the remington for sale on Gun Broker for about $1000.
So I would say they are open to civilian market.
Go to Top of Page

NOTPARS

2000 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2009 :  08:20:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
frankgon4: Thanks. It is the ACR? I emailed them and they responded by saying they are developing the rifle to replace the M16 and that it will be available for select people in 2009. I had asked if it was being marketed to civilians considering it was advertised in Soldier of Fortune but their website states "select fire." They didn't answer my question. I will check out your lead. Thanks for the help.
Go to Top of Page

NOTPARS

2000 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2009 :  08:29:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I checked the for sales on Gun Broker and could not find the ACR. The R-15s, VTR's and SR-25's are AR-15 derivatives. The ACR is completely different. It is modular, accepts different barrel configurations, and utilizes a piston system. Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait and see.
Go to Top of Page

1988z01

USA
537 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  9:49:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NOTPARS

Since Remington is advertising their Adaptive Combat Rifle (gas piston AR15-like rifle) in civilian mags, I assumed it was for sale on the civilian market. After visiting their website, it is kind of confusing as to whether it is for military/police/ and or for civilians (semi-auto). Does anyone know anything about this rifle and the price range? Thanks for the help.

I just saw one of these at the range today. VERY neat little gun. Very Very neat. I only gave it a quick glance as I was taking a break. I am sure it is a civilian version. As far as the Remington website, I still see no existence of my 700P in 338 Lapua.

Thanks Y'all,
Go to Top of Page

nononsense

8881 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  09:23:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NOTPARS,

When you try to search for the ACR on the Auction side, use the term 'Bushmaster ACR', there are several offered for sale.

AIM Surplus had 6 of these for sale a while back and they sold out immediately at $2,400/each.

I am a big fan of modularity, especially when there are significant advantages to the ability to change the configuration of the chassis for combat effectiveness. The military stands to benefit greatly from the flexibility as well as cost-wise with systems such as this. However, my needs are much more simple when it comes to this niche. My .308 AR-type rifle is not nearly as modular but it is far more repeatably accurate considering that it's still a semi-auto.

We have an ACR at the office which we have shot with all of the barrels lengths, suppressed and unsuppressed, which was fun but not what I have a long term use for considering the cost.

Good luck with your search!

Best.

Go to Top of Page

beantownshootah
Advanced Member

USA
12946 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  1:59:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I remember right, the "Remington" ACR was formerly the Bushmaster ACR, which is what it was called after the project was bought out by Magpul.

Magpul originally called the gun the "Masada" rifle, (after the famous siege sight where Jewish defenders held off Roman attackers by, amongst other things, pouring boiling oil on their heads). They caught some flack for this because its not an Israeli design, and possibly from the Jew-hating black helicopter crowd.

Anyway, the gun was basically put together as a sort of "best of" design, putting together what the designers thought were the best available features from various other guns. I've never even seen one in person, but by all accounts its a robust gun, and by design highly modular (hence the new name "adaptive combat rifle").

The gun is now available for sale to civilians, obviously in semi-auto only form. I don't know if Remington (who now owns it) has actually landed any military contracts or not, but they were shopping the gun to US military, and probably others.

The gun *IS* now available for civilian sale (or at least a semi-auto version is), but its REALLY expensive. As mentioned, AIM surplus had a bunch of these for sale a few months ago, and there are at LEAST a dozen for sale in different configurations on the auction site here at GunBroker if you want to buy one.

The price probably annoys the original designers, as part of the reason for the design was to make it price competitive with other similar purpose piston-type guns.

For $1500 (which was the original target price), I'd say this merits a good look. I'd be willing to pay a bit more for one of these than say an "ordinary" piston-driven AR gun.

For $2400. . .eh. . .I don't need it that badly!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
-Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

MrOrange
Advanced Member

2984 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  5:55:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ACR was a joint development between Remington and Bushmaster, both of which are owned by the same parent company. American Rifleman article sez that Remington is handling military and police sales, while Bushmaster is handing the civilian market.

I meant, it is my opinion that...

Go to Top of Page

ruger41
Advanced Member

USA
9481 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2010 :  03:11:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.bushmaster.com/acr/#/intro

Nice guns but man are they pricey-especially the Enhanced version. MSRP of $2685 for the Basic and $3061 for Enhanced. Granted you probably won't pay full MSRP but I bet it will be close.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page