GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 SHIPPING: BB GUNS/AIR RIFLES
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MOONED

USA
788 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  12:40:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I currently have a Daisy air rifle up for auction and wanted to confirm the correct method of shipment. The auction is: http://GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=139085147 in the event you have questions.

Having never sold or shipped an air rifle, I just want to ensure that I am following any & all guidelines & laws. I think I can just ship with UPS or USPS with no questions asked....is that correct?

Aaron

11b6r
Advanced Member

USA
13040 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  1:34:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Under the BATFE standards, an air rifle is NOT a firearm, and there are no restrictions on shipping (one state, I THINK NJ, treats air guns as firearms)

An air RIFLE is mailable. An air PISTOL may NOT be mailable, IF it is a high powered "capable of being used as a weapon" type. The POST OFFICE uses a different definition that the ATF does. C&P from US Postal Service Domestic Mail Manual- check sections in red:

.0 Other Restricted and Nonmailable Matter
11.1 Pistols, Revolvers, and Other Concealable Firearms
11.1.1 Definitions
The terms used in this standard are defined as follows:

a. Handgun means any pistol, revolver, or other firearm or device the mailing of which is regulated by this standard.

b. Pistol or revolver means a handgun styled to be fired by the use of a single hand and to fire or otherwise expel a projectile by the action of an explosion, spring, or other mechanical action, or air or gas pressure with enough force to be used as a weapon.

c. Firearm means any device, including a starter gun, designed to, or that may readily be converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosion, spring, or other mechanical action, or air or gas pressure with enough force to be used as a weapon.

d. Other firearms capable of being concealed on the person include, but are not limited to, short-barreled shotguns and short-barreled rifles.

e. Short-barreled shotgun means a shotgun that has one or more barrels less than 18 inches long. The term short-barreled rifle means a rifle that has one or more barrels less than 16 inches long. These definitions include any weapon made from a shotgun or rifle, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise, if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches. A short-barreled shotgun or rifle of greater dimension may be regarded as nonmailable when it has characteristics to allow concealment on the person.

f. Licensed manufacturer and licensed dealer mean, respectively, a manufacturer of firearms or a bona fide dealer of firearms, duly licensed by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury, under the Gun Control Act of 1968 (Public Law 90-618), 18 USC 921, et seq.

g. Antique firearm means any firearm (including those with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898, or any replica thereof, if such replica:

1. Is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition.

2. Uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition that is no longer manufactured in the United States and that is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

11.1.2 Handguns
Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person (referred to as handguns) are nonmailable unless mailed between the parties listed in 11.1.3 and 11.1.5 after the filing of an affidavit or statement required by 11.1.4 and 11.1.6.

"Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine."
Go to Top of Page

allen griggs
Advanced Member

USA
26788 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  1:48:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New Jersey does consider a bb gun to be a firearm, the thinking that went into that law is beyond me.
I believe that they do regulate the mailing of these guns.
Also might be problems with DC and New York City.
Go to Top of Page

gruntled
Advanced Member

8904 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  1:52:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried to buy an air rifle that was on sale from Sportmart. They refused to ship it because they claimed they could not ship one to Kalifornia. I went to their local store & the manager tried to get them to ship it to his store & they refused.
They claimed they could not guarentee that it was not being recieved by a minor as required by Kalifornia law.
Go to Top of Page

shilowar
Advanced Member

USA
22705 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  2:20:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bass pro shops shipped a Ruger Air Hawk to my door...Fed Ex
Go to Top of Page

MOONED

USA
788 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  4:43:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the replies.
Go to Top of Page

beantownshootah
Advanced Member

USA
13059 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  5:15:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by allen griggs

New Jersey does consider a bb gun to be a firearm, the thinking that went into that law is beyond me.
I believe that they do regulate the mailing of these guns.
Also might be problems with DC and New York City.

Thinking?

NJ is the most heavily populated state in the union, and suffers from the "too many rats in the cage" type problems.

So the rule with guns in NJ is simple "ban them. . .as many as possible regardless of type, and make it as hard as possible for anyone to get one". CCW permits in NJ are virtually impossible to obtain (for anyone) and EACH gun you want to buy requires a SEPARATE license (itself requiring fees, paperwork, CLEO signoff, etc).

There is actually a State law on the books requiring all handguns sold in the state to be biometrically linked to their shooters so that non-owners can't fire the gun. . .as soon as that technology exists. Bizarre?

Imagine a law requiring requiring people to drive only cold-fusion powered automobiles. . .as soon as they exist.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
-Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page