GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 FI BRONCO 22 RIFLE
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gearheaddad
Advanced Member

8705 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2009 :  11:26:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A brand new Bronco 22 single shot just landed in my lap! It is a simple looking enough rifle to say the least. Anyone know about what years these things were made or any other interesting tidbits about them?
Thanks in advance,
Ed

My Grandpa always said "sounds like too much thinking, why don't you try aiming!"

Edited by - gearheaddad on 09/16/2009 2:47:37 PM

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15732 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2009 :  12:35:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the rifle in the photo is the one your talking about? It's probably Firearms International rather then FIE. They were real cheep back in the late 60's when FI first started selling them. The various Broncho's are mostly made out of zinc diecast potmetal, don't be to harsh with it.
They have become collectors items for some reason and folks are buying them for 5 to 10 times original cost.

Go to Top of Page

gearheaddad
Advanced Member

8705 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2009 :  2:40:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are right!! FI from Washington, DC. I assumed FIE when I quickly looked at the box. Yes, still in the original box with paperwork!
Thanks,
ED

My Grandpa always said "sounds like too much thinking, why don't you try aiming!"
Go to Top of Page

BigLoop22

USA
570 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2009 :  3:39:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gearheaddad,

You can add Garcia as one of the importers, as well as Bauer. Garcia & Fierarms International were the same company. They both sold your rifle as a Bronco. Later, Bauer sold the same rifle as a Rabbit.

Among the various importers & names, you will find solid-frame & takedown models. You will also find calibers of .22LR & .22 Magnum, plus .410 gauge. There was also an over & under model, with the .22 barrel over the .410 barrel. Rufe's picture shows a takedown model.

While the boxes say that these guns were made in the U.S.A., there has been talk of them actually being made in europe.

From an old auction, a solid-frame .22LR model:

A local dealer has one on his rack. He complains that he paid too much for, but he will not sell it!

BigLoop22

EDIT:

quote:
I believe that your mistaken about Firearms International and Garcia being the same company. FI was in business from the late 40's, until the early 70's. They were located in Washington D.C.. Many folks have speculated over the years that they were one of the CIA's front companies. Garcia was primarily a company dealing in fishing equipment. They took over from FI when FI ceased operations in the early 70's.

Rufe,

What you are saying sounds correct, as far as the two being separate companies, however, I have seen FI/ Garcia- marked boxes & papers. Both names have appeared together, on the same boxes & papers, for a time. Perhaps, Garcia wanted to maintain an identity with an established company, once they "took over".

BigLoop22
---------------------------------

Hunt101 Photo Complete "img" Links:

Edited by - BigLoop22 on 09/16/2009 4:21:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

jeffb1911

USA
1948 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2009 :  3:39:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IIRC these were also marketed under the name garcia bronco both in 22lr and 410.

In GOD we trust-all others get run through NCIC

Please see my auctions:

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.aspx?User=62079
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15732 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2009 :  4:03:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigLoop22

gearheaddad,

You can add Garcia as one of the importers, as well as Bauer. Garcia & Fierarms International were the same company. They both sold your rifle as a Bronco. Later, Bauer sold the same rifle as a Rabbit.

I believe that your mistaken about Firearms International and Garcia being the same company. FI was in business from the late 40's, until the early 70's. They were located in Washington D.C.. Many folks have speculated over the years that they were one of the CIA's front companies. Garcia was primarily a company dealing in fishing equipment. They took over from FI when FI ceased operations in the early 70's.

Go to Top of Page

gearheaddad
Advanced Member

8705 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2009 :  4:36:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it worth a couple hundred bucks in as new condition in the box? However the serial number on the box is 2 digits off the gun!! I guess the dealer crossed up the boxes way back when it was sold........
Thanks again,
Ed

Go to Top of Page

mark christian
Administrator

Panama
19006 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2009 :  5:35:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Garcia started selling these Broncos back in 1971 (or at least that is the earliest listing from Garcia that I have which shows that model) with a retail price of $15.95 for the rifle and $24.50 for the shotgun. Within just a couple of years the price of the rifle was raised to the same level as the shotgun.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page