GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Ruger M77 MK2 .270 Win recoil...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tinman

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2009 :  01:40:11 AM  Show Profile
I have recently come upon a deal and got me a .270 Win as described above. I shot it 5 times with factory ammo and had a bruised shoulder, yet i took my 30-06 out and with factory ammo it didnt kick nearly as hard. the .270 had a synthetic stock with i changed to Walnut stock.
Still kicks with out mercy..... any suggestions as to control it or any modifications i can do to make it better??

Tinman

ruger41
Advanced Member

USA
9613 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2009 :  02:09:20 AM  Show Profile
what load are you shooting in it? 150? 140? 130?--there is also a light Managed Recoil load from Remington with 115 grain bullet you can try. Could be the .270 you have is just lighter than your '06 so that will transfer into more recoil. You might try a PAST shooters recoil pad that attaches to your shoulder and a Pachmayer Decelerator recoil pad for the rifle.
Cabelas has both items.

Go to Top of Page

Nwcid
Advanced Member

USA
9219 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2009 :  02:34:38 AM  Show Profile
I have never been a fan of the .270 for that reason. I have shot several and all of them have seemed to kick excessively for what they are.

Just a thought Why would you ask members of a gun forum if you should buy a gun. Kinda like an alcoholic going into a bar to hoping to have someone tell him not to drink.

Anyone who would sacrifice freedom for security deserves neither!!!

Gun control defined: The theory that people who are willing to ignore laws against rape, torture, kidnapping, theft, and murder will obey a law which prohibits them from owning a firearm.

What are MG's for?
Because if you are going to cry out, "Say Hello To My Little Fren" and you are holding a bolt action .22, you have no style.

John
Go to Top of Page

tsr1965
Advanced Member

USA
7085 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2009 :  03:43:56 AM  Show Profile
Usually as a general rule, even though they are lighter, the synthetic stocked rifles kick/felt recoil less, because the stock has some flex.

If you insist on keeping this rifle, my suggestion would first be, to have a Simms Vibration Labratory "Limb Saver recoil pad installed. I swear by these, as they have tamed the heaviest recoiling beasts I have. I prefer not to use a muzzle break, as the noise level to the shooter increases dramatically.

Best
Go to Top of Page

RCrosby
Advanced Member

3475 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2009 :  06:00:26 AM  Show Profile
Stock fit and design makes the biggest difference for me. I can shoot my 77 /270 all day long with factory ammo. 10 rounds from a 700 '06 and I'm ready to call it a day. The difference for me is how the stocks fit. How do your '06 and .270 compare?

Rob
NRA Life Member
Go to Top of Page

11b6r
Advanced Member

USA
13013 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2009 :  07:13:54 AM  Show Profile
As Rob said- fit, shape, and angle of the stock can make a large difference on perceived recoil. I shoot heavy 30+cal rifles on a regular basis- but have one very light .308 Sporter with a splinter for a stock- and it brings tears to my eyes every time. +100 on the Limb Saver pad.

"Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine."
Go to Top of Page

Geri

1001 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2009 :  09:26:13 AM  Show Profile
I have in the shop a 270 made by husqvarna, small ring 98. very light rifle with a limbsaver pad. This rifle, for some reason has less felt recoil than any 30-06, 35 whelen etc. that I have shot. I do think it is the stock configuration. JMHO
Go to Top of Page

22hipower

USA
576 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2009 :  11:00:37 AM  Show Profile
Agree with the "stock fit" posts. Also, and part of that "fit" issue, how you hold it (shoulder placement and cheek weld) matters but presumably you're using the same technique with all rifles. Anyway, I have a Ruger 77 mountain rifle in 270 (the old style wood stock with thin red butt plate, small contour barrel, and tang safety). It can't weigh more than six pounds and felt recoil is not bad at all, even off a bench. That's with factory 130 grain bullets.
Go to Top of Page

JustC

14875 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2009 :  12:08:36 PM  Show Profile
try a Boyds laminated JRS stock for it,..I put one on a MKII 06 and the thing is very comfortable to shoot.

applying physics over great expanses,...gotta love the long shots

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Go to Top of Page

He Dog
Advanced Member

Australia
36934 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2009 :  1:12:08 PM  Show Profile
My .308 is beded on a JRS Classic stock from Boyd's as well. The only 77 MK II I have still in original wood is a .243. My .270 is a Steyer and I would equate the recoil to that of a .30-06.

The average response time for a 911 call is 23 minutes; the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.
Go to Top of Page

stevecrea

USA
1497 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2009 :  5:18:10 PM  Show Profile
I agree with most of the information posted above.

I would also add this: It is my impression that faster burning powders give a sharper recoil than slower burning powders. I do not know if this factor actually shows up in the formulas to determine recoil, and it is merely based on my impressions, and experience.

Accordingly, faster burning powders in a 270 shooting 130 grain bullets may result in a sharper recoil than a 30-06 shooting 180 grain bullets with slower burning powders.

I have shot a number of Weatherby magnums for many years, up to the 300 Weatherby. I have never considered them to be particularly punishing. Part of it is due to good stock design. But I theorize that part of it is due to the very slow burning powders that are used in the big Weatherby cases.

Has anyone else had similar impressions?

Steve Crea
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page