GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Sako A7 review
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Travis Hallam

USA
1017 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2009 :  09:36:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just thought I would give my personal review of my Sako A7 expierience. It received rave reviews when I read up on it but my review is more honest. First off let me say my favorite rifle is a Sako 75 Finnlight but I have had many Tikka T3's, Sako 995's and Standard Sako 75 in stainless as well as a Sako 85 Finnlight.

The Sako A7 is definately between the the Tikka and the Sako 75/85 line. I like the feel of the stock much better then the Sako 85 Finnlight which feels hollow and like plastic, I prefer it over the Tikka as well. The Sako 75 Finnlight has a good feel and this is very close with the exception of weight and minus the thermal grips of the 75 synthetic. The balance is very good as well but not as nice as either model of the Finnlight. The stock seemed shorter and worked great for a youth rifle which my five foot 14 year old 100 pound daughter used for one perfect shot at 115 yards to bag her first 5x5 whitetail. Our A7 had a muzzle brake in a 270 cal and I would recommend this to anybody for a Ladies rifle or a youth gun.

The trigger is as good as any Sako. Buttery smooth and easy to adjust. The Finnlight trigger night actually be softer but possably to the point of being too soft. I had to increase my Finnlight to 3 pounds but the A7 felt great at 2 pounds. The gun is extremely accurate off of a bench as my dughter and I both shot 1/2 inch groups with a 3x9-40 scope. We shot 2" off of the bullseye when shooting off of our knees. I am certain if we had a target scope we would have shot even tighter groups. The bolt is fair but stiff and not up to the Sako standard and maybe not even up to the standard of a Tikka.

The clip flat out sucks. It would eject all the catridges when laying out in the glove compartment and even did it when I placed it in with the bolt open. We did not have any real problems chambering cartridges but it was difficult for my daughter due to the stiffness of the bolt but I do believe there may be potential for an occasional problem. The safety is excellent and the simpleness of removing the bolt for cleaning is very good as well.

I would suggest for a man that a Limbsaver recoil pad be added simply to make the stock slightly longer.

For the money I would recommend it to a hunter on a budget. There are several new ones in a blued barrel for under $700. I myself would prefer paying the extra for a Sako 75 or 85 any model and would rate it on par with the Sako M995 with a better stock but not as good of a clip and bolt but a better trigger. I prefer it over the Tikka T3 which is still a very good rifle.

Mad Dog

rovernut

257 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2009 :  10:10:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good report travis. thanks. I have 3 tikkas, no make that 4 and always liked the sako, but a little to rich for my poor rancher taste!!

SEMPER FI MAC, SEMPER FI!!!
Go to Top of Page

ElMuertoMonkey
Advanced Member

25406 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2009 :  11:52:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good review! If I may make a suggestion, post this over in GD so it gets more play.
Go to Top of Page

Travis Hallam

USA
1017 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2009 :  08:14:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I posted it on GD but wanted to post it here as this is where I look for info on guns. There has been very little discussion on the Sako A7 and I thought this would help if someone was looking at this rifle.

Mad Dog
Go to Top of Page

nononsense

8959 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2009 :  11:59:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Travis Hallam,

Thank you for taking the time and making the effort to get this information set down for us to use. These personal observations are important to those of us looking for a new rifle.

Best.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page