GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 10 ga.sxs "Pride of Spain"?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kgtidball
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  7:17:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just come into possesion of a 10 ga. sxs shotgun, chambered 3.5 " Mag. The barrels say "Pride of Spain", but elsewhere, on the bottom of the action box it says "Sloan's SG Co., New York, NY." The engraving and checkering are amatuerish, and I am sure this is not a collectible gun, but I would like to know its history...Who are/were Sloan's? When were they in business? Is this truly a spanish gun, and by whom in Spain? Finally, a more technical question. Under the forend, the barrels say Choke 18.5,196. What does this mean? I am assuming it is choked "full". Should I avoid steel,or more precisely, is tungsten-iron ok or do I risk bulged barrels?

Thanks

captkirk3@dslextreme.com
Administrator

5098 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  7:39:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Evening, and welcome to the FORUMS.. AS for your questions, my database says SLOANS is an Importer, New York City and is or was involved with Charles Daly as an importer. 'Sloans' Model POS 410, is a .410 Double Barrel, Hammerless, Double Trigger Gun with a Checkered Stock..as is Worth $175.00 in Very Good Condition.
The SLOANS Model POS,10 Gauge shoots the 3 1/2", comes with a Checkered Stock and is Hammerless, and come with Double Triggers....Value is $200.00 to $250.00 for a Good Shooter..
The POS,12 and 20 is the same as the above in Value and in discription. The POS Coach Gun has outside Hammers and comes in 12 and 20 Gauges...and is valued the same as the above two listed Models..
Its unknown by this Author as to whom is the Makers...? If it was commonly known who the MAKERS were, People would make an endplay and go directly to ther Maker for any parts or Pieces needed and bypass Sloans...barring them from making any profits on those parts..Thats why they don't put that information on the Gun...If you can locate a Proof Mark or Makers Mark under the Breechend of the Barrels I should be able to ascertain who the Makers are or were...I'm sure its an Import from Spain or Italy and possibly Japan...? Feel Free to drop me a line Direct email and I'll do my Best to be of some small service....Best... I might add...Just because it says Pride of Spain...don't make it a Spanish made Gun..!

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff

Edited by - captkirk3@earthlink.net on 12/06/2002 19:41:32

Go to Top of Page

kgtidball
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  7:54:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much for the fast and useful reply. Regarding proof marks, there are five. From left to right: oval on end with crown,letters HZ; crossed guns with disc in center;Shield with letters BP and oval under letters on side; shield over crossed swords with letters CH. Do these help?

If related to Daly co., approximately what dates are we talking, roughly?

And what about steel through the full choked barrels?

Thanks again.

Go to Top of Page

kgtidball
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  7:57:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much for the fast and useful reply. Regarding proof marks, there are five. From left to right: oval on end with crown,letters HZ; crossed guns with disc in center;Shield with letters BP and oval under letters on side; shield over crossed swords with letters CH. Do these help?

If related to Daly co., approximately what dates are we talking, roughly?

And what about steel through the full choked barrels?

Thanks again.

Go to Top of Page

captkirk3@dslextreme.com
Administrator

5098 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  9:24:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
B.P. Means Optional, smokeless powder proof for shotgun of 12,090 PSI...

C.H. MEANS RE-INFORCED SMOKELESS PROOFED TO 12,801 PSI.

HZ in the Zulaica Family of Zulaica y Cia of Eibar, Spain.. No Idea if they are still in Business or not..? SLOANS imported Daly's...I think they were just one of a 1/2 dozen importers who handled Daly's....Best...

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff

Go to Top of Page

kgtidball
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  9:25:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...from Charles Carder's exceptionally helpful and well researched "Side By Sides of the World." DALY, CHARLES: Schoverling and Daly were importers and distributors located in New York City 1865 to 1939. About 1873, they reorganized and became Schoverling, Daly and Gales. They imported high grade side by sides in 1875 under the trade name of CHARLES DALY. That trade name was chosen because it had an appealing sound that they thought would influence the public to buy their guns. In 1919, Henry Modell bought out the company and maintained control until he sold out to the Walzers' family in the late 1920's. Eventually Sloan's Sporting Goods bought the company and established a branch known as the CHARLES DALY & CO., DIV. The primary source of early CHARLES DALY shotguns were from European gun makers. Some of the many different manufacturers of the DALY shotguns were Lefever Arms Co. of New York, U.S.A., Tolley of England, Newmann of Belgium, and Prussian gun makers, Schiller and Charles Lindner. Later guns came from Heym and Sauer of Germany, Beretta and Bernardelli of Italy, Garbi of Spain, and Miroku of Japan. The Japanese shotguns were imported from 1963 to 1973. Most collectors desire the Prussian DALY shotguns, which were exceptionally fine quality. Early CHARLES DALY shotguns are considered classic among shooters and collectors. CHARLES DALY shotguns include all traditional options. The trade name, CHARLES DALY, was purchased in 1976 by Outdoor Sports of Dayton, Ohio and that same year, Sloan's Sporting Goods Co., Inc. of Ridgefield, CT. advertised CHARLES DALY shotguns manufactured by Vincenzo Bernardelli.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page