GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 IS FFL needed to transfer Blackpowder pistol
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

user426
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2002 :  9:51:30 PM  Show Profile
I want to sell my Ruger old army blackpowder pistol.....do I have to transfer it thru a FFL....

supv26

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2002 :  10:38:05 PM  Show Profile
No.......an FFL is not needed when selling any black powder weapon that loads through the muzzle or the barrel end of the cylinder of a revolver.

D G Guns

Edited by - supv26 on 12/07/2002 22:39:22

Go to Top of Page

SG&A , INC.

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2002 :  10:47:51 PM  Show Profile
DITTO!

STAY SAFE
Go to Top of Page

Ronald J. Snow

USA
1351 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2002 :  08:57:04 AM  Show Profile
If I were you I would refer to the Federal Firearms Regulation 921(a)(16)(C); page 6. Pay particular attention to the last paragraph regarding firearms that can be altered to fire fixed ammo. (Firearms such as the TC Contender and Encore, the NEF Huntsman and the Mossberg 500 are considered firearms and not muzzleloaders even though they load from the front end. I have seen conversion kits for the Ruger Old Army replacing the cylinder so fixed ammo can be fired; these kits are also available for other BP revolvers.) I have talked with the people at the Firearms Technology Branch (202)927-7910 and have found them to be very knowledgeable and helpful with this subject. Personally I would run the Ruger Old Army through the system like any other fixed ammo firearm due to the regulation stated above.

Edited by - Ronald J. Snow on 12/08/2002 16:58:26
Go to Top of Page

mrmike08075
Advanced Member

USA
2891 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2002 :  09:18:49 AM  Show Profile
unless you live in NEW JERSEY or HAWAII.

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.
Go to Top of Page

nmyers
Advanced Member

12668 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2002 :  09:57:07 AM  Show Profile
You must know the law within your own state for in-state transfer.

Other states have restrictions, too. You must check State Laws and Published Ordinances - Firearms (ATF P5300.5). Federal law requires that you comply with state laws if shipping to other states.

If you are not comfortable with this, then insist on transfer through an FFL.

Neal

Go to Top of Page

rick_reno

268 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2002 :  11:01:58 AM  Show Profile
An FFL is not required to purchase either the Ruger Old Army or the cylinder conversion allowing it to fire cased ammo. Why someone would suggest going thru the expense of transferring one of these via an FFL is beyond me. It's not required.
Go to Top of Page

mrmike08075
Advanced Member

USA
2891 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2002 :  12:08:21 PM  Show Profile
are you a lawyer??? do you have a law degree???
some states(NEW JERSEY,HAWAII) and some cities(new york for one)have different laws. in NJ you must go through an FFL. if i send a gun out of state from NJ it must go to an FFL. even air guns, bb guns, matchlocks, or black powder muzzle loaders. NJ and other municipalities cosider these to be modern firearms. they do not recognize curio and relic status. to get such a gun in these locales, especialy a hand gun you must go through an ffl, and have a firearms id card, and an individual pistol permit.

i am glad that you think you know your local or state laws, but you are simply wrong. if you are not required to work with an ffl to make such a sale or purchase in your area, thats great. but some of us are requried by law to do so.

i can go to PENN. and purchase or sell a single action black powder revolver with no hassles and a drvers liscense. that is not the case in NJ, HI, NEW YORK CITY, etc...

when you do not know, do not answer. check with your local gunshop, or police dept. to be certain about the requirements in your area. do not take legal advice from the uninformed. its your ass, not his.

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.

ps. why do you think large catalog dealers such as sportsmans guide and cabelas will not sell or ship such guns to a non ffl individual in these areas??? they know the law, and will not break it.

Edited by - mrmike08075 on 12/08/2002 12:10:42
Go to Top of Page

rick_reno

268 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2002 :  10:24:05 PM  Show Profile
If I read your post correctly, you've singled out three states (Hawaii, N.J. and NY - maybe New York City, I can't determine if you've narrowed it down to the city in your rant) where the purchase of black powder guns might be restricted. So, that clearly leaves the majority where the purchase is not restricted. And since you mention Cabella's and that other pinacle of sporting good sales Sportsman Guide (you don't seriously buy things from them - do you?) I'll mention Brownells - who sells the Old Army conversion cylinders to anyone - anywhere.
Granted, there are state laws that restrict these sales - but in the majority of this country these sales are not restricted. It clearly depends on where the original poster lives on what he/she has to do to transfer that Old Army pistol and going thru an FFL is NOT required in most of the country.
Suggesting someone go to their local gun store or the police to query them on law is bad advice. Do that only if you have a source that knows to check their information against (lawyer, state DOJ is often good, reading the statues is best).
Go to Top of Page

Ronald J. Snow

USA
1351 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2002 :  09:36:24 AM  Show Profile
rick_reno: as per my earlier post I would suggest you go to the ATF web-site and read the section mentioned. This is a federal requirement and applies in addition to the local/state statutes mentioned by mrmike. If you still have questions, please drop a dime and talk with the people at the number I gave to user 426. I have been in the firearms business since 1981 and have learned that I take my advice from the people who enforce the statute. Since you do not agree with two people in the business I suggest you contact ATF directly. At least, please take the time to read the law mentioned.

Go to Top of Page

aby80

316 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2002 :  6:21:05 PM  Show Profile
Not needed in Arizona.

If you don't care where you are going, you can't get lost.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page