GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 What does the dash number mean on a S&W pistol
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sigarmsp226

USA
2445 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  8:38:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can someone tell me what the number means after the - on S&W revolvers. I am looking at 686 revolvers and I see ads for 686-3, 686-5. What does that last number represent.

Thanks guys - Mark

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15441 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  8:59:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Engineering Change", this is common in all industries that manufacturer equipment. When a physical change is made to a product a new Engineering Order/Engineering Change is issued, the product is marked accordingly.

Go to Top of Page

Grasshopper
Advanced Member

7013 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  9:20:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also remember, most usually, the lower the dash the more they bring. A no dash is the best,,,,generally believed to be of beter quality....nambu
Go to Top of Page

cussedemgun

USA
1000 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  10:53:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr. p226,

For the S&W 686;

686 (1980) begin prod.
686-1 (1986) radius stud package; floating hand
686-M (1987) recall by S&W & overstamp to indicate mod. (applies to 686 & 686-1 only)
686-2(1987) change hammer nose
686-3 (1988) new yoke retention system
686-4 (1993) change rear sight leaf, drill & tap frame, change extractor, introduce Hogue grips
686-5 (1997) change frame design to eliminate cylinder stop stud, eliminate serrated tangs, change to MIM hammer & floating firing pin, change to MIM trigger, change internal lockwork
686-6 (2001) internal hammer & trigger key lock
686-7 (2002) performance center variation in 38 Super introduced

Hope this helps, Jim

Edit; The above info. is quoted from 'The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, 3rd edition' by Jim Supica & Richard Nahas.

Go to GB home page (the auction side) & use the search function, one book is listed now.

the SCSW, 3rd is the best source of all things Smith' & only exceeded by S&W's own records as accesed thru their history dept. & Roy Jinks.

NOTE: if you find a mistake in my post, it was put there for a purpose! I try to serve all equally & because some will always try to find fault, I don't want them to feel left out.

Edited by - cussedemgun on 10/11/2009 09:20:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

sigarmsp226

USA
2445 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  08:21:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys for this information and Thank you Jim for the great detail. I will use this as I look at varios auctions to find my next buy. This is great information. Thanks again - Mark
Go to Top of Page

USN_Airdale
Advanced Member

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  08:48:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
YES !! thanks from me too.., where did you find this valuable info ?

COME AND GET IT !
Go to Top of Page

Boomerang
PurpleStars

USA
4487 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  08:52:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226

Thanks guys for this information and Thank you Jim for the great detail. I will use this as I look at varios auctions to find my next buy. This is great information. Thanks again - Mark

It has been my experience that any dash number model before 686-5 is more desirable. Some purists only want the early no dash or dash 1 models. For me, I prefer the dash 2, 3, and 4 models. Everyone has there own likes and dislikes when it comes to S&W revolvers, and I am sure you will find yours too. I really like the 586 models but S&W in there infinite wisdom (read this to mean cheaping of the industry) stopped making them.

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed"

and the antithesis to this philosophy was uttered by Bill Clinton I smoked it, but I didn't inhale.

NRA Life Member
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15441 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  12:01:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by USN_Airdale

"Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson" by Supica & Nahas. It's in the 3rd Edition now.

Go to Top of Page

beantownshootah
Advanced Member

USA
12957 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  5:29:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rufe-snow

quote:
Originally posted by USN_Airdale

"Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson" by Supica & Nahas. It's in the 3rd Edition now.

Yes, and they're not particularly hard to find.
I was just leafing through a copy at the local Barnes and Nobles not 20 minutes ago.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page