GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 .300 Rook anyone?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

1fisher

USA
880 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  2:08:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just purchased an original Alex Henry rifle built on a small Martini action. The seller thought it was in .310 Cadet caliber, which I reload.
Now that I have the gun in hand, it is not a Cadet round - I believe it is a .300 Rook. I haven't done a chamber cast yet to be positive, but that is what it looks like.

Looking on the web, I can find brass for this cartridge, but I am not finding any bullets. The load calls for a 80 - 90 grain bullet in a true .300" diameter (not .308). Buffalo arms sells a mold for it, but I do not have any casting equipment.

If nothing else, I'll have to buy the mold and find someone local who casts. There are a quite a few Cowboy Action shooters around here, and somebody has to have the equip.

Does anybody here have any experience with this cartridge? I'd love to hear anything you can tell me about it.
Thanks!

There ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty-aught six -- Lindy Wisdom (daughter of Jeff Cooper)

dan kelly
Advanced Member

Australia
9360 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  4:38:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
iv`e never even heard of it. i assume that it is close to the cadet round? if that`s the case maybe it would be easier/cheaper to re-barrel to the cadet?

"ah well...such is life!"!
Go to Top of Page

DaveF

87 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  5:08:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check on the "British Militaria Forums" website, under "Miniature and Sporting rifles".
There are guys on there who load for the various rook calibers.
Regards, DaveF.
Go to Top of Page

v35
Advanced Member

USA
12570 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  8:16:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Without taking a chamber cast you can determine whether it's a Rook or a Sherwood.
The Sherwood and the Rook case length differ only by case length. The difference is roughly 1/2" so there's no chance you will make a mistake.
Cut a piece of calling card 5/16" wide by two inches long. It should stop at the end of the chamber.
If it goes in 1 1/2"+ it's the Sherwood and if it stops at a little less than 1 3/16", it's the Rook.
You can try a cheapo Lee sizing die in .300 and resize .308 or .311 lead pistol bullets. If they aren't accurate enough then buy the mould.
There is also an Australian mouldmaker that makes any kind of mould.
He may already have the proper style for your gun.
Val Forgett of Navy Arms imported a bunch of odd sized Cadet and large Martinis years back. I strongly suspect yours' may be one of them.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page