GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 HERSTAL-BELGIQUE ABL 1951
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rnodno
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  8:12:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a rifle that I am having trouble finding info on. Any help would be appriciated. On the left side it says FAB, NAT. D'ARMES de GUERRE Herstal Belgique. On the top of chamber there is a crown, under is a Large L and under that is 1951. On the right side are the matching numbers 1366. In my experience the rifle is in really good shape for that era of rifles. The usual nicks and dings, but, pretty tight action. I could use info on the caliber, history and value. Thank you. Deano

perry shooter
Advanced Member

13674 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  8:27:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please look above this post at the ones called STICKY it will tell you how to post pictures We will need pictures with out them every thing else would just be a WAG on our part
Go to Top of Page

nononsense

8929 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  11:17:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
rnodno,

Welcome to the GunBroker Forums!

Belgian Navy contract Mauser short rifle made by FN, Herstal, Belgium in 1951. The rifle has characteristic baked gray enamel finish used by the Belgian Navy (as opposed to the baked black enamel finish found on the Belgian Army contract rifles). Some collectors believe that M.1950 rifles with gray finish were also used in Belgian Congo. There are following maker's markings on the left side of the receiver, "FAB. NAT. D'ARMES de GUERRE, HERSTAL - BELGIQUE". "Crown over L" (royal letter of king Leopold of Belgium) and "ABL 1951" markings on the receiver.

The ones I've handled have been chambered for the .30-06 Springfield.

Best.

Go to Top of Page

rnodno
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  11:17:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thank you

Edited by - nononsense on 11/04/2009 11:19:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

rnodno
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  01:16:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

ADDED:

rnodno,

You need to select the 'medium' picture URL for posting not the 'thumbnail' version. I've changed all of them by replacing the term 'thumbnail' in the URL with the term 'medium' which gives us a nice size picture to look for details.

Best.

Edited by - nononsense on 11/05/2009 06:48:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

rnodno
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  2:41:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the info and photo help. I am assuming that my rifle is the black army issue? It lacks the * markes on the reciever ring and the sl# on the bolt is stamped, not etched. All SL# on the rifle match. Could you please give me some more specific info on the army issue? How rare, how old,and value? Also, where they grey under the black? Mine is. I would be more than happy to give any other info that will help.
Go to Top of Page

turtles11756

1177 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2009 :  10:13:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
these were sold here in the mid 60's. Lot's of them as surplus you could buy all you want from the adds in old guns magazines for about $29.00. well made contract Mauser for army Belgium by FN.all matching with a fine bore value around $375.00.unissued condition $1000.00 it will sell quick it looks to be a nice one
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15666 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2009 :  11:49:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The way that the black "paint" finish has been worn off will have a negative affect on value. Most folks will just consider it a "shooter" and bid accordingly. To maximize it's value I would at the very least have it bead blasted to remove all the chipped black "paint". I have done this in the past with some of the French 35 A military pistols, which also have a similar "paint" finish. You also might consider applying one of the black spray finishes that Brownells sells. By carefully following the directions when applying this finish, it would increase the value of the rifle substantially IMHO.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page