GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Columbia Shotgun
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hokie17
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  8:47:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a very old 12 guage shotgun with "Columbia" stamped on the left side of the reciever. It is a single shot, break open with exposed and centered hammer. It has a "12" stamped on the bottom side of the barrel just in front of the forend. The serial number is "50071". If anyone can give me any information as to it's origins and who made it and when I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

mark christian
Administrator

Panama
18918 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  9:13:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most likely one of the hundreds of thousands of Belgium "Trade" shotguns imported into the United States at the turn of teh century and sold through large catalog companies or hardware stores for a few dollars. Many of these have what is known as twist barrels and are not safe to shoot with modern loads, or in many cases safe to shoot at all. These are wall hangers and look great over the fireplace, but have no real value beyond use as a curio or display piece.
Go to Top of Page

hrf

812 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  11:08:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While many of the old brand name doubles were Belgian as Mark states, the old singles were mostly made in U.S. Here's one list for "Columbia":

Variations of this name were used on single shot shotguns by several makers.

Columbia - W. H. Davenport Arms Co. 1891-1910

Columbia Arms Co - Trademark owned by Henry Keidel & Co. Baltimore, Md. 1866-1978

Columbia Ejector - W. H. Davenport Arms Co.

Columbia Single - Harrington & Richardson Arms Co 1872-1985

Columbia Single - W. H. Davenport Arms Co. (will have company name marked on upper and lower tangs)

Columbia Single - Hopkins & Allen Arms Co. 1868-1898

So, it will be tough and maybe impossible to identify your gun's maker and specific time period.
Go to Top of Page

mark christian
Administrator

Panama
18918 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  12:20:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hrf

While many of the old brand name doubles were Belgian as Mark states, the old singles were mostly made in U.S. Here's one list for "Columbia":

Variations of this name were used on single shot shotguns by several makers.

Columbia - W. H. Davenport Arms Co. 1891-1910

Columbia Arms Co - Trademark owned by Henry Keidel & Co. Baltimore, Md. 1866-1978

Columbia Ejector - W. H. Davenport Arms Co.

Columbia Single - Harrington & Richardson Arms Co 1872-1985

Columbia Single - W. H. Davenport Arms Co. (will have company name marked on upper and lower tangs)

Columbia Single - Hopkins & Allen Arms Co. 1868-1898

So, it will be tough and maybe impossible to identify your gun's maker and specific time period.

Researching that list should give him a hobby for the next several weeks! Thanks hrf.
Go to Top of Page

Ned Fall

USA
637 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  01:20:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There were many,many "Trade Brand Names" used on shotguns made between 1880 and 1940. I have documented over 600 different names that were used and that's not all of them.
I find at least one (new ?) unknown name a month. From this posting I have found Columbian Arms Co that was most likely made by the Crescent Fire Arms Co. of Norwich,CT and sold by the Henry Keidel & Co. To that list I can add Columbia Fire Arms also made by Crescent and sold by the Van Camp Hardware & Iron Company of Indianoplis.IN.

Ned Fall
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page