GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Cobra .380
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

buckeyedave
Starting Member

26 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  10:52:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello

Has anyone had any experience/thoughts about the Cobra Freedom P-380 regarding reliability, quality, performance?

Thanks, Dave

ruger41
Advanced Member

USA
9675 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  11:05:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you mean the Cobra .380's that used to be Davis .380's then yes I have shot them-and yes they are garbage. Guns like the Cobra & Raven & Davis are barely ok if thats all that you can afford but most will only feed fmj ammo and many of them jam up which is not what you want to happen when you really need it. You would be better to save up a little more and get maybe a Bersa .380 or Kel Tec or ruger LCP if you want a .380 for defense. The Cobra style of pistol is also not one that I would carry with a round in the chamber because those are single action striker fired guns with not what I would consider the best safety features.

Go to Top of Page

buckeyedave
Starting Member

26 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  11:28:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks I kinda thought so for the price. Happened to see it online. I have been looking and probably going to get a Bersa Thunder Concealed Carry .380. Nice little gun.

Thanks again, Dave
Go to Top of Page

beantownshootah
Advanced Member

USA
13089 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  11:31:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cobra Freedom is the model that used to be the Davis.

These are widely considered to be "junk" guns, as they are made from zinc alloy (eg "pot metal") parts and aren't particularly durable, accurate, or reliable.

I also question their drop-safety. Any gun that might go off if dropped is a HUGE liability.

I don't see any good reason to buy one of these when there are relatively high quality milsurp Makarovs and CZ-82s available in the range of $200.

If you must go with one of the Cobra guns, their "Patriot" line is a modern striker-fired polymer design by Nehemiah Sirtis, a well known Israeli gun designer, and is probably reasonably good.

Go to Top of Page

ruger41
Advanced Member

USA
9675 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  12:01:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyedave

Thanks I kinda thought so for the price. Happened to see it online. I have been looking and probably going to get a Bersa Thunder Concealed Carry .380. Nice little gun.

Thanks again, Dave

much better choice--my friend had an older Davis .380 that would never run through a full magazine without a jam. I also would consider a used Walther PP--I had one in .32 that was an excellent handgun and they made them in .380 as well.

Go to Top of Page

partisan
Advanced Member

6234 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  2:52:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is junk! Also, in my opinion, DON'T consider the AMT .380!! More junk!
Go to Top of Page

gregoryhart1

408 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  6:07:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyedave

Thanks again, Dave

As the proud owner of a Bersa Thunder .380, I can wholeheartedly assure they are solid, accurate weapons. In fact, the only thing better than the Thunder .380 would be the Thunder 9 or 45!
I promise you won't be disappointed with the Bersa.
GH1

I owe my life to an organ donor
Go to Top of Page

buckeyedave
Starting Member

26 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  7:41:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to all for your input.
Dave
Go to Top of Page

GONESHOOTING

USA
2498 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  8:35:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had a Davis 380 did alright,but not for self-defense. Poor quality.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page