GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Springfield Model 87A
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lordbobthegreat
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2009 :  4:02:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, Thank you for looking,

My Father Inherited a Springfield Model 87A from his Grandfather, And I was looking to Restore It for him for Christmas. I will post Pictures of it on here soon. If any one Has Any Information/History on This gun Please Let me know. I haven't Been Able To find much of Anything on it.

Aaron Donald

Fatstrat
Advanced Member

8318 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2009 :  4:43:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your Springfield Model 87 is the same as the Stevens Model 87. Both Stevens and Springfield (during production years of this model) where subsidiaries of the Savage Arms Co. And the Model 87 was basically the same rifle as the Savage Model 6.
The Model 87 began production in 1938 as The Springfield 87. The Springfield model 87 was dropped in 1948. But production of the rifle under the Stevens logo continued ito the 1960's. *('65 I believe)
The basic model w/several brand names/store brand names and variations, was probably the most popular and mass produced vintage .22 autoloader of it's day.
Still a fairy common rifle w/little collector interest unless in VG+ condition. An average well used shooter runs generally in the $75. to $100. value range.
They were very good shooters.
Hope this helps.

I walk away from auto-flush toilets like movie stars walk away from explosions.....
Go to Top of Page

lordbobthegreat
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2009 :  4:48:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yea That Does Help! Thank you. So being that this gun says Springfield on it does that make it a pre-1948 gun?

Aaron Donald
Go to Top of Page

Fatstrat
Advanced Member

8318 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2009 :  5:48:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to the Gun Traders Guide, yes.

I walk away from auto-flush toilets like movie stars walk away from explosions.....
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page