GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 hj sterling side by side 12g value
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kcmurphy
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2009 :  8:44:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello, i am interested in getting the value for a shotgun i have. it is an h.j. sterling, belgium, laminated steel, id numbers 81 346, breach load, side by side double barrel, hammer, trigger

Henry0Reilly
Advanced Member

USA
13717 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2009 :  10:55:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the GunBroker forums.

Belgium laminated steel shotguns are, for the most part, good only as decorations. Depending on condition, your gun is likely worth $100 to $200, maybe somewhat more if it has a really beautiful stock.

These vintage guns should never be fired with modern ammunition and most are not safe to shoot with blackpowder, either.

You might take a look on the auction side (www.GunBroker.com) to see what similar guns have been bringing. Auction and Forums are separate registrations and you'll have to be registered there to look at closed auctions.

Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

Check out what I've got on the block here at GunBroker!

Be Active Today!

Go to Top of Page

captkirk3@dslextreme.com
Administrator

5098 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2009 :  1:45:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go To "GOOGLE" and type in <H.J. Sterling> Theres even Photos of the Double Barrel H.J. Sterling Shotgun posted....

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff<P><BR>

GunBroker.com Moderator
The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles
Go to Top of Page

Ned Fall

USA
645 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2009 :  4:38:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shotguns with the name H.J. Sterling were made in Belgium by the F. Dumoulin Company. They were most likely made some time between 1880 and 1914 when World War One, The Great War or The War to End All Wars (choose one) cut off exports from Belgium. The gun has damascus barrels and were designed for the ammunition in use at the time which was black powder or early low pressure smokeless powder. They were not designed for more modern high pressure smokeless powder or 3 inch shell or steel shot. I can only recommend that they be be retired to wall hanger status.

Ned Fall
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page