GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Mauser Patrone 22
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TBow
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2009 :  12:27:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Mauser-Werke A.G. Oberndorf Patrone 22 Long Rifle, bolt action clip fed. It was a gun left to me by my dad and he had bought it off my uncle (his brother) who was a gun dealer. I recall once that my uncle had told my dad that the only way he'd sell it to him, was if my dad was ever going to get rid of it, that he'd have to seel it back to him. Both have since passed away.

I've searched some of the gun sites to check if similar units are being sold and I've found a few Patrones for sale and have also searched Google to see what info I could find. Problem is, I can't seem to find any guns identical to the one I have. Those that I have found on the internet or info about, are Mauser Patrones that look very plain, some with finger Grooves on the front of the stock and a lot are referred to as "trainers".

This Mauser that I have, has many of the Mauser characteristics such as the "MAUSER GERMANY" stamp on the stock, the "MAUSER butt plate" and all of the Mauser markings on the barrel and receiver.

The issue I have in finding info on it is that it is somewhat more refined in craftmanship than other Patrones that I've read about. This gun has a schnabel forened (something I haven't seen on other Patrones), the stock has a finer grade of wood with lovely grain patterns, there is a barrel mounted front sling mount (I don't believe it's after-market) with a matching rear sling mount, a 30 to 200 yard rear ramp site and the blueing is 95+% (it doesn't appear to be reblued).

The serial number is 49462 (serial numbers match) and has alpha markings alongside the rear ramp sight of "D.R.P.D.R.G.M.".

I guess what I'd like to know is:

1. What is the vintage of this firearm?

2. Were there finer grades of the Patrone made by Mauser? (I was wondering if this one may have been customized after-market or in-house)

3. I have read that early vintage Mauser Patrones in good condition can retail for $600 to $700. I was curious as to what kind of an insurance value I would have to place on this Mauser?

I have been able to put a reasonably close estimate on all my other firearms for insurance purposes, but this one has got me stumped.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

TBow

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15836 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2009 :  12:51:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be best if you could post quality photos, of the rifle.

From your description it could be the deluxe version of the Model 410. This model was a magazine fed repeater, with a schnabel forend and a rear tangent sight that was adjustable between 30 & 200 meters.

These rifles date to the depression years of the early 30's. When few folks had money to buy rifles like this. This would make them quite uncommon and valuable to a collector, if Factory Original, Very Good condition or better.

Go to Top of Page

williwm
CarpetBagger

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2009 :  07:55:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your serial number falls in the very late range of the New Mn 410. This series of rifles were replaced with a "B" action around 1934, so yours would probably havr been made 1933 or so. The earlier actioned Mauser 22's don't usually command the prices of the later "B" actioned rifles, but a rifle with exceptional wood would be of interest. As rufe-snow wrote, quality photos would help.

BTW ,Patrone means cartrige in German,not a Mauser model designation.
Go to Top of Page

RCrosby
Advanced Member

3494 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2009 :  08:15:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TBow,
Happy Thanksgiving, and welcome to the forum!
It sounds like your Mauser is very similar to my own, except with the benefit of being all original. Mine has the finer polish/blue not seen on the typical "trainers" but the barrel has been shortened, butt plate replaced and a (I believe Lyman) receiver sight added. Still, it's the nicest .22 I have and would gladly let go of either of my Kimbers before parting this one. If you ever want to swap photos, or just compare notes, feel free to stop in.
Rob

Rob
NRA Life Member
Go to Top of Page

rhmc24

1849 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2009 :  6:49:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The word Patrone is German for cartridge - Patrone 22 = 22 cartridge.
Go to Top of Page

foxbat3

214 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2009 :  9:17:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PAY EXTREMELY CLOSE ATTENTION TO WHAT THE TWO GENTLEMEN TOLD YOU ABOUT THE MEANING OF THE WORD PATRONE. YOU HAVE BEEN MISLEADING YOURSELF.
NEXT BUY, BEG, BORROW BUT DON'T STEAL JON SPEED'S BOOK ON MAUSER SMALL
BORES. MOST OF YOUR ANSWERS ARE IN THAT BOOK.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page