GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 SW Mod. 53 .22 Jet
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dsphd

81 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2002 :  4:41:25 PM  Show Profile
How would I obtain an extra .22 mag cyl for a .22 Mag. SW Remington Jet. I have the .22 Jet cyl w/inserts but need the mag cyl. Will another SW model .22 mag cyl fit this model 53?

Thanks

JudgeColt

2381 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2002 :  01:22:49 AM  Show Profile
dsphd is asking for a ".22 mag cyl." If that request is taken literally, I assume he or she does NOT mean the .22LR cylinder discussed in the previous post.

Apparently dsphd does not understand that, if he or she has a Jet cylinder with inserts, he or she already has the ".22 Magnum" cylinder. The .22 Remington Jet is the "real" .22 Magnum. The rimfire round commonly called ".22 mag" is really the .22WMR. If dsphd is looking for a Model 53 cylinder in .22WMR, no such cylinder exists. The bore of a Model 53 is undersized for the .22WMR and that chambering should not be fired through the smaller bore of the Model 53, although in the last thread, some claimed to be firing .22WMR cartridges through barrels sized for .22LR with no problems. (What is .002" among friends?)

Perhaps dsphd is actually looking for a .22LR cylinder, and, as stated in the previous thread, such cylinders are extremely scarce. If one were so inclined, one could make one by sleeving a Model 19 cylinder and using a K-22 extractor.

dsphd, just what are you seeking, a .22LR cylinder or a .22WMR cylinder?
Go to Top of Page

dsphd

81 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2003 :  12:16:29 AM  Show Profile
Hi,
Now that I have acquired the Mod. 53 and received your informative reply to my inquiry, I now understand that what I need/am looking for is actually the .22 LR cylinder to fit this SW Model 53 .22 Remington Jet pistol. This gun is in great shape, complete with the original box and inserts for the .22 Jet, however, there is no .22 LR cylinder, even though there is a "slot" in the box for it.

One more time please, for this novice (me). I believe that I understand that the .22 LR cyl. for the the Model 53 is extremely rare, correct? Once again, what kind of cyl. with just what modificaiton(s) will work in order to use standard .22 LR bullets in this Model 53 pistol, or should I even bother?

Thanks,
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Alpine
Advanced Member

9663 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2003 :  09:24:10 AM  Show Profile
Also a well equiped gunsmith could fit a 22 caliber sleeved cylinder of the appropriate frame size to the 53. I had mine fitted at the factory a long time ago, and it is great for plunking.

"If you ain't got pictures, I wasn't there."

Edited by - Alpine on 01/02/2003 6:58:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

JudgeColt

2381 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2003 :  11:15:12 AM  Show Profile
Again, Alpine is missing the point. There are no appropriate-frame-size .22LR cylinders available for the Model 53. The Model 53 uses a Magnum-length cylinder the same length as the .357 Model 19 cylinder. (The .22 Remington Jet Magnum is based on a necked-down .357 Magnum case.) The shorter non-Magnum cylinder for a K-frame .22Lr (K-22/Model 17, etc.) therefore will not work. The only solution I would have, and it would not be that hard to do, would be to sleeve a Model 19 cylinder and rechamber it for .22LR. A K-22 extractor could be used to solve that problem.
Go to Top of Page

Alpine
Advanced Member

9663 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2003 :  6:56:07 PM  Show Profile
My point was that I recently sleeved a cylinder for a 53 to fire 22 lr. I did not obtain the parts, I just did the machining. It can be done, and I was speaking from experince, not missing the point.

Go to Top of Page

JudgeColt

2381 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2003 :  01:04:58 AM  Show Profile
Alpine, I am very embarassed to say I missed the word "sleeved" when I read your first post. Please accept my sincere apologies. I further apologize for jumping to the conclusion that you did not know that the M53 cylinders are Magnum-length, as so many do not. My inadequate excuse is that I try to hurry through the posts (I am often feeling guilty about the time spent here) and apparently cannot read fast enough, or accurately enough.

Did you use a K-22/M17 extractor? How did you secure the sleeves in the cylinder? How much do you estimate the conversion cost?
Go to Top of Page

Alpine
Advanced Member

9663 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2003 :  09:56:24 AM  Show Profile
And I apologize for leaving out the word sleeved. I looked over my other post and saw that I have left out the word sleeved. The error was mine.

Go to Top of Page

JudgeColt

2381 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2003 :  10:49:36 AM  Show Profile
Alpine:

I now see that when one is in the "Reply to topic" mode, the "edited" notation does not show up. As I began my response, I looked to see if I had missed the word "sleeve" in your post, and there it was. I then looked for an "edited" notation and found none, so I assumed I had missed that all-important word "sleeved." We both goofed! At least I do not feel quite so stupid now. No harm done.

Still, I would be interested to have my questions about your conversion answered, if you care to.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page