GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Savage Model 4C .22 cal
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

406west
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  6:42:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Savage Model 4C .22 cal made in Chicopee Falls, Mass and would like more production date and value information.
I know the Model 4 was made between the 30's & 60's which means that either my father or grandfather could have purchased it. The 'C' indicates a minor model change and would think that it would narrow down the timeline somewhat.
The gun is in good shape for it's age, shoots beautifully and I have two 5 shot clips and a 7 shot clip with it.
I am helping my mother liquidate some of my father's belongings/guns due to his recent passing so any information I can get will help her.
Ken

Emmett Dunham

USA
1331 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  11:45:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does your rifle have a peep sight and a front globe with inserts, long heavy barrel. Savage lost a lot of records and there is not a lot of information on the rifles made in the era your rifle was manufactured. I have a 3C with British ? proof marks all over the barrel in front of the receiver. These are very nice shooting rifles, the 3C I have shoots as well as some of the 800.00 surplus training rifles.

Emmett

Edited by - Emmett Dunham on 12/12/2009 11:50:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

406west
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2009 :  5:31:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have open sights, not sure what a globe is I'm not too savvy on the terms, but it looks like a T bar front sight and the usual adjustable notch in the back. I also just realized that the barrel and firing mechanism comes out of the stock with a thumbscrew just to the front of the magazine opening if that tells you anything. And yes it does shoot very sweetly.
quote:
Originally posted by Emmett Dunham

Does your rifle have a peep sight and a front globe with inserts, long heavy barrel. Savage lost a lot of records and there is not a lot of information on the rifles made in the era your rifle was manufactured. I have a 3C with British ? proof marks all over the barrel in front of the receiver. These are very nice shooting rifles, the 3C I have shoots as well as some of the 800.00 surplus training rifles.

Emmett

Go to Top of Page

Emmett Dunham

USA
1331 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2009 :  10:45:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of the C marked Savage rifle I have seen have peep sight rear and globe front. I would think that your rifle with out seeing pictures is worth form 100-200 dollars. If it had peep sight according to who made the sight would go for 200-350 dollars. The Savage rifle actually was priced higher than Winchesters when new and the wood and metal finish was much better who knows why these rifles don't have a better resale value.

Emmett
Go to Top of Page

406west
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2009 :  10:13:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't know how to attach a photo yet, I'm still new to this site. If I figure it out I'll post a pic.
quote:
Originally posted by Emmett Dunham

Most of the C marked Savage rifle I have seen have peep sight rear and globe front. I would think that your rifle with out seeing pictures is worth form 100-200 dollars. If it had peep sight according to who made the sight would go for 200-350 dollars. The Savage rifle actually was priced higher than Winchesters when new and the wood and metal finish was much better who knows why these rifles don't have a better resale value.

Emmett

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page