GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Standard Arms Co.- DBL Barrel Shotgun ???
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bfitz122
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2009 :  11:02:19 AM  Show Profile
I have a 10 ga dbl barrel shotgun made by Standard Arms Co.serial number 4712. Im looking for any information and history that i can get.Ive seen that they made rifles but cant find anything on this shotgun.Thank You.

Update: I found a shotgun that looks just like the one i have.Mine may have damascus barrels and on both side plates mine says standard arms co within the scroll work as well as on the top between the barrels it says standard arms co.Laminated Steel.If you go to collectorsfirearms.com and click on shotguns then click on antiques then go down to item S3500......please let me know what you think. Thanks
Also on mine there is a brass plate in the shape of a police shield on the bottom of the stock.Also is there a list somewhere that I can use to reference the serial number or the proof marks

Edited by - bfitz122 on 12/22/2009 9:20:11 PM

captkirk3@dslextreme.com
Administrator

5098 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2009 :  1:09:37 PM  Show Profile
STANDARD ARMS COMPANY, Wilmington, Delaware, Circa 1909-1911...
The only thing I can find in My Data Base and Personal Libruary is that Standard Arms made Gas operated automatic Rifles, and Slide-Action repeating rifles...No Mention as to making shotguns...Can You post Photos and give us a Clear and Precise discription of your Shotgun...?..Have You attempted to find out if anything is listed in a Google search....?

BINGO! I just pulled up Standard Arms Co., on GOOGLE.....Its listed....

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff<P><BR>

GunBroker.com Moderator
The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles
Go to Top of Page

bfitz122
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2009 :  1:57:51 PM  Show Profile
Ill put some pics up.Thanks for the site but no info on shot guns.Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

Ned Fall

USA
644 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2009 :  8:04:23 PM  Show Profile
The good Captain and I disagree only slightly and that's over dates. My reference says that The Standard Arms Company was located in Philadelphia, PA from 1906 to 1907, they were located in Wilmington,DL from 1907 to 1911 as just Standard Arms Company and again in Wilmington,Dl from 1911 to 1912 as the Standard Arms Company of Wilmington. They made semi-automatic and slide action rifles. The book says it has been rumored that they made a slide action shot but to date no example has ever been seen. The only reference to this gun was an illustration that appeared in an undated catalog that showed a gun called the Standard Camp Repeating Rifle and Shotgun that could fire both ball cartridges and shot shells. The gun was supposed to be .50 caliber (more likely a .50-70). There is absolutely no mention of a double barrel shotgun

Ned Fall
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15851 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2009 :  11:51:23 AM  Show Profile
Carder's Shotgun Book, lists Standard Arms Co's shotguns as being made in England by the firm of J.P. Clabough & Sons of Birmingham. "Standard Arms Co", was a Trade Name used on guns exported to the U.S.. As the owners of a Trade Name could have any manufacturer make guns using that name, its possible there are other shotguns using that name not made in England.

If Clabough is the same firm that made your shotgun, yours will have English proof marks either on the under sides of the barrel or on the water table.

As these old shotguns are unsafe to shoot with modern high pressure smokeless loads, their only value would be as wall hangers or conversation pieces. This means their cosmetic condition is the main determinater of their value.

Go to Top of Page

bfitz122
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2009 :  12:04:15 PM  Show Profile
Where can I find a list of the proof marks for this shotgun so I can decipher the marks that are on it ?
Go to Top of Page

captkirk3@dslextreme.com
Administrator

5098 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2009 :  7:18:04 PM  Show Profile
Ned Fall..Afternoon Ned...My InFo came from Robrt H. Baldersons Antique and Modern Firearms,Page 547 Seventh Edition, House of Collectables, New York.
Best......Captain Kirk

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff<P><BR>

GunBroker.com Moderator
The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles
Go to Top of Page

hrf

825 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2009 :  9:56:49 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by bfitz122

Where can I find a list of the proof marks for this shotgun so I can decipher the marks that are on it ?

When you post pics, try to include the marks under breech end of barrels. It may turn out to be a Belgian import, as they used just about every American sounding name. If so, there will be an ELG mark in an oval.
Go to Top of Page

Ned Fall

USA
644 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2009 :  3:57:22 PM  Show Profile
Capt Kirk and rufe-snow, Good afternoon to both of you. My information came from Joseph T. Vorisek's (damn I miss him) book "The Breech Loading Shotgun In America, 1865 to 1940".
Captain, I have two copies of Robert H. Balderson's book. I automatically go to Joe's book on these old shotguns. Only that book makes any mention of shotguns made by Standard and none mention a double barrel. It is quite possible that some other maker used the name Standard. There were hundreds if not thousands of "Trade Brand Name" shotguns made between 1880 and 1940 and all sorts of names were used. The only way to determine any information about the gun is to look for proof marks on the bottom of the barrels under the forearm. That way we can determine the country of origin if nothing else.

Ned Fall
Go to Top of Page

fire15vp
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2009 :  12:27:47 PM  Show Profile
Standard Arms was both in Philadelphia and Wilmnigton, It is the same company. I do not have any knowledge of them ever making a double barrel shotgun. They did make the Model G, Model M and the camp gun on a production basis. It is rumor that they made a 22 and some experimrntal guns in semi and full auto. The Camp gun does exsist. I have examined 2 and have one in my families collection. 50-70 is probably the correct casing, some day I hope to make a casting of the chamber to find out for sure. Total production is around 3700 guns which includes 25 camp guns.
Go to Top of Page

grabitfast
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  8:21:00 PM  Show Profile
I also have a double hammer W/ standard arms co laminated steel on rib and side plates. ser # 3158 Its a 13 bore with birmingham marks. 30 inch barrels, # 11 stamped on trigger guard . I did quite a bit web browsing and your post is the only clue of another one. Sadly mine has a broken and missing stock at the wrist.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page