GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 H. Dumoulin .243 Win
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mspencer2
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2009 :  12:36:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Sirs:
I was wondering if someone could provide some information on a gun that I have in my possession. I will preface this note with the knowledge that I’m more of a shooter than a collector, so if this gun would be better served in someone’s collection rather than out in the weather of Nebraska I would like to make that happen. The bluing is probably 90%. Here are the particulars of the gun:

Marking’s on the top of the barrel:
H. Dumoulin Milmort-Liege Made in Belgium
Marking’s on side of barrel:
.243 B.Blindee 4 proof marks 4digit serial #
Action:
It is a Mauser style action with a trigger safety. There are 3 proof marks on the action and one on the bolt handle. The bolt body is jeweled.
Scope:
The scope is and old Bausch-Lomb Balfor 8 variable scope. It has an adjustable 1 piece mount.
Stock:
The stock is a nice piece of wood but not exhibition grade. It has cut checkering and a black fore end cap.

Any thoughts on the value or collectability would be greatly appreciated.

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15726 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2009 :  1:15:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dumoulin is/was? a well known Belgian gunsmith/firearms manufacturer.

Generally when you see the marking "B. Blindee", along with the other more common Belgian proofs. It signifies that the rifle has been built with a military surplus Mauser action.

Being it's in .243 caliber, it was built later then the mid 50's.

Value on your rifle would depend on cosmetics and bore condition. Take some quality photos and put it on the auction.

Things are in the toilet now economy wise though, with a lot of folks out of work and hurting. Not likely your going to get a heck of a lot out of it, now. Might be best to hold on to it for a couple of years, till hopefully things turn around.

Go to Top of Page

MP

270 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2009 :  1:19:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
B. Blindee" is short for Balles Blindée in French, the standard Belgian proof meaning "for jacketed bullets", has nothing to do with military arms.
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15726 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2009 :  1:32:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MP

B. Blindee" is short for Balles Blindée in French, the standard Belgian proof meaning "for jacketed bullets", has nothing to do with military arms.

If that is the case why aren't the commercial Belgian Mauser sporter rifles imported and sold by Firearms International and many other importers/distributors over the years marked B. Blindee?

Go to Top of Page

cussedemgun

USA
1004 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2009 :  3:34:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mspencer2,

I have 2 of the H. Dumoulin made guns. They are both built on a commercial F.N. mauser action. Both have the marking "B. Blindee".

At the top right corner of this page, click on "search" & enter "dumoulin". There are several past threads dealing with this subject.

Jim

NOTE: if you find a mistake in my post, it was put there for a purpose! I try to serve all equally & because some will always try to find fault, I don't want them to feel left out.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page