GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Selling gun with no serial number
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nwcid
Advanced Member

USA
9219 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2010 :  5:56:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am getting ready to list a Remington 511-P that has no serial number on it. I know it is legal to own and sell.

My concern is the receiving FFL. You all know spread FFL's views are on what the law actually is. Should a dealer have a problem with a gun that has no serial number? Should I post in my ad that is does not have a serial number?

Any other thoughts?

Ok, just thought of a second question. Since these were only made till 1963 (47 years ago) how do I know or decide if it is C&R qualified with not serial number to date it?

Just a thought Why would you ask members of a gun forum if you should buy a gun. Kinda like an alcoholic going into a bar to hoping to have someone tell him not to drink.

Anyone who would sacrifice freedom for security deserves neither!!!

Gun control defined: The theory that people who are willing to ignore laws against rape, torture, kidnapping, theft, and murder will obey a law which prohibits them from owning a firearm.

What are MG's for?
Because if you are going to cry out, "Say Hello To My Little Fren" and you are holding a bolt action .22, you have no style.

John

Edited by - Nwcid on 01/03/2010 5:59:27 PM

nunn
Administrator

USA
35819 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2010 :  6:11:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The gun came with no serial number, so the FFL should enter "NONE" in the blank in his book for the serial number. It is not a problem, at least it would not be a problem for me. However, there are some weirdos out there with FFLs, so I can't answer for them.

With no number, it is unlikely that an actual manufacture date for that gun can be determined, and since the gun was made up until only 47 years ago, I would say "NO" to a Type 03 license transfer.

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Retired Texas Peace Officer/FFL Dealer

Email gpd035@sbcglobal.net

My GunBroker auctions: http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.aspx?User=3012
Go to Top of Page

mark christian
Administrator

Panama
19070 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2010 :  6:16:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just use the word NONE for any gun that never had a serial number and there has never been a problem.
Go to Top of Page

Nwcid
Advanced Member

USA
9219 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2010 :  6:29:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, that is what I thought.

I just found out on further research that they started putting serial numbers on in 1954 so it is good to go for C&R.

Just a thought Why would you ask members of a gun forum if you should buy a gun. Kinda like an alcoholic going into a bar to hoping to have someone tell him not to drink.

Gun control defined: The theory that people who are willing to ignore laws against rape, torture, kidnapping, theft, and murder will obey a law which prohibits them from owning a firearm.

What are MG's for?
Because if you are going to cry out, "Say Hello To My Little Fren" and you are holding a bolt action .22, you have no style.

John
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15751 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2010 :  7:47:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nwcid

Thanks guys, that is what I thought.

I just found out on further research that they started putting serial numbers on in 1954 so it is good to go for C&R.

You can tell the specific date of the older Remington Rifles and Shotguns, by a two letter code they stamped on the left rear portion of the barrel just forward of the receiver. As far as Remington serializing .22 Rifles, I've owned two Nylon 66's and one 513 that weren't serialized, they dated from the late 50's mid 60's time frame. I don't know the specifics of when they serialized the 511's, but they sure didn't serialize the other models till the feds made them do it in 68.

Go to Top of Page

zink
Advanced Member

USA
5035 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2010 :  9:49:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When they do not have a ser # we can only put NSN in the book.We have an older model of Remington at work (don't remember the #) but the action/barrel is made of one piece. The ser # is in front of the stock on the botton of the barrel. My understanding from the ATF is it was placed there according to Rem as to not deface the ser # if it were to be drilled/tapped for receiver sights or scope. This gun is Very old and pre 1968 for sure.

Lance
Go to Top of Page

11b6r
Advanced Member

USA
13057 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2010 :  10:22:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I collect Mossberg and Remington 22s. MOST of my stuff never had a SN. Goes into my bound book as NSN. REMOVING a SN very bad ju-ju. Having a gun that never had one is another matter. And yes, the barrel code is the key to dating Remingtons.

"Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine."
Go to Top of Page

Nwcid
Advanced Member

USA
9219 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2010 :  10:39:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys.

Like I said I know it is legal and how to put it in the books, I have several. I was more worried about issues with dumb receiving FFL's.

What are MG's for?

John
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page