GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 .25-06 vs .257 Weatherby Magnum
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kallie

51 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  11:50:44 PM  Show Profile
HELP!! I can not deceide. I handload and I do not shoot high volume. Looking for words of wisdom. Thanks.

Boomerang
PurpleStars

USA
4487 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  12:03:05 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by kallie

I handload and I do not shoot high volume.
What does that mean?

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed"

and the antithesis to this philosophy was uttered by Bill Clinton I smoked it, but I didn't inhale.

NRA Life Member
Go to Top of Page

duckhunter
Advanced Member

8373 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  12:10:04 AM  Show Profile
Lots of shells or lots of powder???
Go to Top of Page

stevecrea

USA
1497 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  12:11:03 AM  Show Profile
kallie:

If you have a 26 inch barrel on the Weatherby, and want to load it hot, you can probably outrun the 25-06 by around 200 fps or so, perhaps a bit more, with most bullets. Depending on what you plan to use it for, that may, or may not be significant, useful, or important.

I would suggest that a more important issue is which rifles you like the best, including the accuracy, triggers, workmanship, and other factors. The Weatherby cartridge is not as widely available in rifles, and will generally be found in the Weatherby rifles.

I have had many Weatherbys over the years, and I am a fan. The rifles have high quality and very strong receivers, good triggers, good stocks, good barrels, good warranties, and Weatherby offers very good service. The .257 Weatherby is the top hotrod in that caliber, and was known to be Roy Weatherby's favorite. Having said all that, the 25-06 does not give up a lot to the .257 in ballistics, but it does give up some. In my mind, much of it boils down to the rifle and what you like.

Steve Crea
Go to Top of Page

dfletcher
Advanced Member

USA
6405 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  01:04:52 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by kallie

HELP!! I can not deceide. I handload and I do not shoot high volume. Looking for words of wisdom. Thanks.

I'd say buy whatever rifle you prefer. If you're hunting I don't think anything that's made dead by the 257 will not be made dead by the 25.06. Just a guess and very general statement on my part, but I think a Remington rifle in 25.06 may have an accuracy edge over a Weatherby rifle in 257.

dsf
Go to Top of Page

Michibay

USA
615 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  02:26:55 AM  Show Profile
Hello...The 257 is currently being chambered in the lower-cost Weatherby Vangard and in some Remington 700's. If you are looking for a FUN rifle and not too heavy I picked-up a used Remington Mountain Rifle in .260 The gun will "out-shoot" a 25-06 with lighter recoil in a light 22" barrel. You need at least a 24" in 25-06 to get any performance out of it. No question however...the 257 is a PERFORMER and it's gaining popularity with additional lower-cost rifles being chambered for it. I see that Ruger is now chambering the 264 Win Mag...another caliber to look at. Best to you! As I get older, I am enjoying shooting my light 260 Rem...it's accurate and DOES the job!
Go to Top of Page

tsr1965
Advanced Member

USA
7014 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  06:34:48 AM  Show Profile
kallie,

Hello, and welcome to the forums here on GunBroker.

For myself, that is a simple choice. The 25-06 is available in many more offerings of rifles, than the 257 Weatherby. Not saying that the Weatherby is not a decent round, but there is not much that it can do, the 25-06 can't, if anything.

The brass for the 25-06 will be less expensive, and you will get better efficiency. I have a friend who has a Tikka T-3 SS, in 25-06, that I load for. It loves the 100 grain Barnes TSX...what a bonus! I shoot a 25 WSSM a lot, and it is advertised as the equivelant of the 25-06. I love it.

Best
Go to Top of Page

2xbyu

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  08:19:17 AM  Show Profile
Remington 26" 700 SPS .257WM, Nosler 110AB or Barnes 100TSX, 3400-3600fps. Will put a on your face.

Edited by - 2xbyu on 01/08/2010 08:21:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

jptatum

USA
1468 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  10:52:42 AM  Show Profile
I have no experience with the Weatherby, but the 25-06 is hard to beat, my opinion.

J. Patrick Tatum
Go to Top of Page

kallie

51 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  12:09:56 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the input. I am getting a Weatherby. I already own a Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker in .25-06. I am looking to replace it. I wanted to hear from those who have had experience with the .257. Thanks again for your input. Jim.
Go to Top of Page

sandwarrior
Advanced Member

USA
5323 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  12:33:41 PM  Show Profile
Kallie,

I've loaded for both and have gotten tremendous performance out of both. The .257 Wby will outperform the 25-06 as noted above by around 200 fps.

In some of the lower cost rifles you will spend about the same on either rifle. Wby Vanguard vs. Rem 700. However, even though you will pay more initially for WBy brass, you can load a LOT cheaper than you can buy shells for it. That to me leans toward buying the Wby because you can have the hot-rod and not have to buy the expensive gas to put in it.

If it was a case of not reloading the clear choice would be the 25-06 because shells are much less expensive.

I've loaded for both and liked them both. I see this as a chance for you to step up in power and not have it cost an arm and a leg. But the 25-06 is no slouch whatsoever. So if you do this deal you won't really go wrong.

Every shot serves a purpose, whether accurate or inaccurate. It will always tell you what you did, and did not do, right. Even if all you have is a fraction of a second to make it, learn from it. So the next one is even better.

Edited by - sandwarrior on 01/08/2010 12:34:54 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page