GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 1911 .22 conversion kit, Iver Johnson
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

A1BigTuna

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  12:54:24 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone out there any experience with the Iver Johnson .22 conversion kit? It is around $280 with Millet sights and they will take my frame and insure it works with it. Seems that should work out to be a happy ending. What do you think?

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15892 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  1:16:56 PM  Show Profile
My WAG is that it's just a Ciener sold under a different name. GOOGLE Ciener .22 conversions. Although they work, a lot of folks have had problems over the years with this Ciener guy will runs the outfit. Maybe that's the reason their being sold under the Iver Johnson name?

Their are a number of other companies who make .22 conversions nowadays, check them out on the net before buying any of them, specially a Ciener.

Go to Top of Page

A1BigTuna

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  1:27:46 PM  Show Profile
Hi and thanks for the info. I didn't know that they were Ciner, that being said, seems that I would have Iver Johnson to go to for support if something goes wrong. I have read that Ciner does not support a lot of his kits. So was not going to buy one from him. Have looked at Marvel, Top Shooter, and others. All seem to display problems with certain ammo. I am breaking in my Sig P226 with a Sig kit, and it too has some issues that I am hoping to work around re ammo and the right lub/oil.
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15892 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  1:54:59 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by A1BigTuna

Hi and thanks for the info. I didn't know that they were Ciner, that being said, seems that I would have Iver Johnson to go to for support if something goes wrong. I have read that Ciner does not support a lot of his kits. So was not going to buy one from him. Have looked at Marvel, Top Shooter, and others. All seem to display problems with certain ammo. I am breaking in my Sig P226 with a Sig kit, and it too has some issues that I am hoping to work around re ammo and the right lub/oil.

My experience with conversion kits is that the run better with hot ammo. Mini-Mag solids are the go-to ammo as far as conversion kits are concerned. Except my floating chamber Colt. The only ammo I run through it are Stingers, because of the jacketed bullet.

Go to Top of Page

RCrosby
Advanced Member

3507 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  2:01:09 PM  Show Profile
MARVEL has a great web site forum with info on all conversion units.
FWIW, and IMHO, Marvel is the way to go. Great accuracy, steel breech and superior (Bomar, I believe) sights.

Rob
NRA Life Member
Go to Top of Page

byelogvardetza
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  10:02:58 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - byelogvardetza on 04/25/2010 11:58:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

A1BigTuna

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  7:25:48 PM  Show Profile
Well, I have heard enough on Ciner kits. So, I decided to go back to Sig and get one for my P220 (already have one in my P226) and then I will have factory backing. Thanks for all the input. Maybe later on I will get one for the 1911.
Go to Top of Page

perry shooter
Advanced Member

14062 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  9:56:14 PM  Show Profile
Hello Big Tuna If you want a 22 Conversion for a 1911 be aware that there are 2 major types of conversion units #1 is the plinking grade theses are the kimber Ciner ETC and the Colt unit with the floating chamber The colt has a floating chamber and function very well because this floating chamber generates more recoil to work the slide The colt unt was made from before WW II untill at lieass the 1990'd and are fairly easy to find. The Match grade units have a way of locking the barrel to the frame However they need to be tuned to your frame to function 100% there are 4 different makers of Match grade units the#Day 10X #2 the Peter Staule # the Marvel and #4 my favorite The Kart. If you would like to see pictures of all of the different types double Click on my name and send me a email..... "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"
Go to Top of Page

timhill100

USA
772 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2010 :  07:13:19 AM  Show Profile
when i got my series 70 colt, i researched all the conversion kits out there, i got a colt, seemed to be the best and im glad i did it has worked perfect, now you do got to use hi-grade amo, once i used the cheap stuff and it leaded the barrel, easy fix though just lots of scrubbing, my brother wants one for his series 80, i told him search for a colt made one, the others maybe cheaper but you do get what you pay for

tim
Go to Top of Page

timhill100

USA
772 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2010 :  11:04:23 AM  Show Profile
i sugest getting a orginal colt 22 conversion, i see them on the action side from 300 to 400, for a few dollars more get a good one

tim
Go to Top of Page

William81
Advanced Member

USA
21134 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2010 :  3:49:51 PM  Show Profile
I really like my Marvel conversion kit. I have shot several different brands of ammo through it, but it does work best with
CCI Mini-Mags...It worked flawlessly on my Kimber Gold Match frame and a Taurus 1911 frame.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Liberials

Edited by - William81 on 04/26/2010 3:52:14 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page