GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 MAUSER MODEL 1914 SEMIAUTO PISTOL VALUE/AGE???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mrmike08075
Advanced Member

USA
2891 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2002 :  7:49:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1. mauser model 1914 semiautomatic pistol
2. 7.65mm (.32 ACP)
3. 8 round single column magazine
4. straight blowback, unlocked, hammerless action
5. adjustable(windage only) notch rear, blade front sights
6. OAL 6.1 " / WIEGHT 22 oz / BBL LENGTH 3.43 "
7. semi wrap around one piece checkered walnut grip
8. LEFT OF RECIEVER: "329880" "WAFFENFABRIK MAUSER A.-G. OBERNDORF A.N." "MAUSER`S PATENT" the "MAUSER" banner
9. RIGHT OF RECIEVER: "MAUSER - 7,65" "MADE IN GERMANY"
10. INSIDE TRIGGER GAURD: "9880"
11. ON REAR OF FRAME(below cocking indicator): "329880"
12. ON LEFT OF BBL LUG(near muzzle): "329880"
13. ON RIGHT OF BBL(near muzzle): "U" (below a CROWN)
14. TOP OF SLIDE(behind rear sight): "U" (below a CROWN)
15. bright blue finish

the gun is in NRA FINE condition. it appears to be completly intact, and a parts matching all original gun. it took a little research and experimentation to discover how the safty and slide release operated. my referance materials give some general information, but stop short of describing the various models and variations.

when was it made??? how many were made??? what do the hallmarks/proofmarks indicate??? what is it worth??? is it of value to collectors???

i understand that this is one of the best made, finely finished handguns evermade, but i no little of its history. does anybody have one??? has anybody fired one??? any history, help, or anecdotes would be appreciated. best regards, mike.

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15746 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2002 :  9:07:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to the reference material I have seen your 1914 Mauser is considered a post WW 1 commercial variation. It also has the standard German proofs of that era. These pistols were made in great quanity between 1914 & 1934. The problem is that the serial numbers of both the Model 1910 .25 and the Model 1914 .32 were interspersed in the same serial number range. Apparently they were made in great quanity as I have seen reports of serial number ranges over 525,000. I had one once years ago with WW 2 Navy markings although it was a Model 1934 which was slightly different then the M 14. I was very happy with the money I got for it.
Go to Top of Page

mark christian
Administrator

Panama
19051 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2002 :  9:27:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike these are fine little pistols. The 1914 Model (.32) is nearly identical to the 1910 Model (.25 or .32) except for the change in caliber. These were made up until around 1934 when an altered "streamlined" grip appeared. About 640,000 of both models were made and they sold for about $14 back before WWI. That seems cheap, but you could buy a Colt SAA for the same money at that time.

I have no serial number range but Mauser typcially ran their number from #1 right up through the end of production so your's seems to land comfortably in the middle. I have fired these Mausers many times (I've fired nearly every pocket handgun type there is- who's owner would allow me the pleasure) and they are quite pleasant to fire, but the sights are terrible, the trigger is bad, and the safety is over complicated. The HSc or PP/PPk series are vastly superior. These are my opinions about shooting the pistol and they have no effect on collectability and it is a collectable pistol.

Many years ago there was a 4mm subcaliber conversion offered for these pistols, although I have not seen one for sale in perhaps 20 years. The pistols themselves were finished to typical Mauser high standards and the fit and quality leaves little to be desired. This pistol and the Ortgies (my favorite) were doomed in 1929 when the Walther PP arrived on the scene and pushed aside most of the other popular makes of pocket pistols. I suppose a new example would sell in the $400 to $500 range, but since your pistol does not apear to have any military or police markings so it will not earn any sort of premium. Used values on these types drop off very rapidly as there were many thousands made but most were carried and used regularly so they are common in very good or slightly better condition. I hope this information helps you.

Mark T. Christian

Edited by - mark christian on 12/28/2002 9:31:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

webley

145 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2002 :  12:40:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have all three (1910,1914 and 1934 in collectable plus condition. Then I found a 1934 with matching clips so I wanted to sell my other 1934. I had it at to five or more gun shows before it sold last month for $300. At least two dozen or more looked at it, but only one made an offer. I thought it would bring $400+.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page