GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 AR-15 IN MASSACHUSETTS?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

YIMMYTHEFITZ
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2010 :  9:12:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I LIVE IN THE PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF MASSACHUSETTS, I'M LOOKING TO BUY A NICE, INEXPENSIVE AR-15. ANY SUGGESTIONS? ADDITONALLY, I WAS WONDERING OF IT IS LEGAL TO PURCHASE A "HI-CAP" .223?

beantownshootah
Advanced Member

USA
13084 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2010 :  10:04:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AR-15s are legal in MA if they

a. Were in the State prior to the ban, or
b. Are in "post ban" configuration (ie no bayonet lug, flash hider, etc).

Category a. guns are scarce and expensive. Category b. . .not so much. Any good gun dealer should have a selection (see Four Seasons in Woburn).

High cap mags are legal to possess *IF* they were in the state prior to the ban, or (I think) brought in by law enforcement. Of course, that's very difficult to prove.

Go to Top of Page

dfletcher
Advanced Member

USA
6483 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2010 :  10:21:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beantownshootah

Category a. guns are scarce and expensive. Category b. . .not so much. Any good gun dealer should have a selection (see Four Seasons in Woburn).

High cap mags are legal to possess *IF* they were in the state prior to the ban, or (I think) brought in by law enforcement. Of course, that's very difficult to prove.

CA has a similar law, however we're allowed to bring in mag repair kits. Mag repair kits consist of all parts of the magazine, so it is nearly impossible to "date" magazines. In CA, burden of proof is on the state of course. In CA the complicated gun laws have spawned quite a few creative ways to legally purchase and own guns the legislature would prefer we not own. ARs with pistol grips and FHs using "fixed" magazines are a good example. Don't know if gun owners in MA try to use a similar approach.

dsf

Edited by - dfletcher on 01/24/2010 10:24:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

mark christian
Administrator

Panama
19080 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2010 :  11:00:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beantownshootah

Beantown, you continue to be a wealth of solid information on the firearms laws in Mass., a state who's gun laws are like quicksand. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page