GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 CURIO AND RELICS IN MASSACHUSETTS
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

YIMMYTHEFITZ
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2010 :  10:16:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I LIVE IN MASSACHUSETTS AND AM INTERESTED IN ACQUIRING A CURIO AND RELICS F.F.L. BUT I'M NOT REALLY SURE WHAT THE BENEFITS WOULD BE, BESIDES OF COURSE, BEING ABLE TO PURCHASE FIREARMS THAT ARE 50 YEARS OR OLDER. I HAVE HEARD THAT WHEN YOU OBTAIN SUCH A LICENSE IN M.A. ALL THE "NON-MASSACHUSETTS COMPLAINT" FIREARMS ARE NOW FAIR GAME... IS THIS TRUE?

dfletcher
Advanced Member

USA
6574 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2010 :  10:55:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A C & R license is used to purchase C & R eligible firearms, a firearm does not have to be 50 years old to be C & R eligible. There are many fewer than 50 year old firearms that are C & R eligible.

In general, one of the benefits of a C & R license in a restrictive state is that you can travel out of state and purchase C & R eligible firearms "cash & carry". My state (CA) restricts the C & R in state but I travel to NV & OR (and last year went to NH visiting home) and buy direct in these other states. For example, you could drive to Rileys in NH or the elsewhere in ME and buy C & R eligible long guns and handguns. Last year I bought an Officers Model Match @ Riley's for $499.00 - with tax it was .... $499.00 and I left with it immediately.

When you return home you may have to do some registration or paperwork, not sure about that - may need to do nothing at all.

I don't believe the C & R will help you aquire any modern (non C & R) guns in state nor import if they are MA restricted, certainly not buy them out of state. There could be some "side effect" benefits, in CA having the C & R with a COE allows me to skip the 10 day wait on C & R guns and exempts me from the "1 per 30" handgun restriction. I suppose MA may have some minor benefit attached, no idea if or what it could be.

I'm sure someone from MA will be along to be more specific, my info is based on general C & R and CA info.

dsf

Edited by - dfletcher on 01/26/2010 10:57:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

mark christian
Administrator

Panama
19399 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2010 :  11:21:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where is member beantown? We've been getting so many Mass. threads popping up over the past few days that we need a separate forum just to handle them and beantown has been working overtime.
Go to Top of Page

beantownshootah
Advanced Member

USA
13217 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  01:31:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Again, if you want to know about MA gun law, PLEASE join GOAL.

Here is their website:

http://www.goal.org/

And if you want to get some idea of what you're up against, see here for the relevant MA State gun law:

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/seslaw98/sl980180.htm

quote:
I LIVE IN MASSACHUSETTS AND AM INTERESTED IN ACQUIRING A CURIO AND RELICS F.F.L. BUT I'M NOT REALLY SURE WHAT THE BENEFITS WOULD BE, BESIDES OF COURSE, BEING ABLE TO PURCHASE FIREARMS THAT ARE 50 YEARS OR OLDER. I HAVE HEARD THAT WHEN YOU OBTAIN SUCH A LICENSE IN M.A. ALL THE "NON-MASSACHUSETTS COMPLAINT" FIREARMS ARE NOW FAIR GAME... IS THIS TRUE?

That last part is definitely NOT true. Want to bring a new Glock pistol or Kimber 1911 in MA? A C&R won't let you do that legally.

Having a C&R FFL turns you into a limited Federal Firearms licensee. It will let you have CERTAIN guns shipped directly to your door (that is, without having to go through a Firearms dealer). You can also legally buy C&R approved guns out of state and bring them into the state yourself, IF you have the C&R FFL.

The guns have to either be more than 50 years old, or on the BATFE's specific C&R list (which in practice mostly includes old military surplus guns that aren't quite 50 years old).

My understanding is that the C&R FFL is still valid in MA, just like anywhere else. If you have one, you can legally bring in guns that would otherwise NOT be MA-compliant (since they weren't in the State prior to '98) *IF* they are more than 50 years old, or on the BATFE's list.

So a WWII era "Victory" revolver would be OK here. A Colt 1911 pistol from the 1950s would be OK, but the identical gun from the 1960s would NOT be OK. The CZ-82 pistols are OK, etc. You can look these up. . .

Note that you are NOT allowed to sell or transfer these guns to an ordinary MA LTC holder once imported into MA. You can't even give them to an ordinary dealer to sell. If you want to get rid of them, you may sell them OUT of state. I believe you may transfer them to a DIFFERENT C&R holder in MA (if you can find one!).

Also note that the State of MA has been very aggressive in persecuting anyone involved in gun or ammo sales in MA. Without getting into a long story here about who, how, and why, suffice it to say that (like in CA) you may run into sellers who are reluctant to ship C&R guns into MA, even though doing so isn't prohibited.

There are other benefits to having a C&R. Having the guns shipped right to your door (no transfer fee, waiting period, etc) is a nice one. Being able to buy the gun anywhere in the USA face to face and bring it legally into the state is a benefit. Some companies offer discounts on their merchandise to FFL holders, or will ONLY sell to FFL holders, and a C&R counts. I'm sure there are other benefits, but I'll leave that to others to fill in.

Go to Top of Page

ra5451

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  10:06:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great summary Beantown...One more thing...If you want to get a Green card in Ma (Machine Gun License) you have to be either a certified Police instructor or Be a collector of firearms. The C&R (in most towns in MA) qualifies you as a "Bon-If-IDE Collector"...You Get the C&R and attach it to the MG app. and your good to go.....Good Luck...

PS...What town r u in?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page