GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Beretta Md. 84 BB.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

commissioner

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2003 :  10:44:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Beretta Model 84 BB in 380 cal or 9mm short 13 rounds double stacked that entered the US in March of 1974. It is Stainless with Walnut grips. not checkered. I can't find any record of Beretta making this model in Stainless. Can anyone tell me about this weapon? Thanks, Dwyer1 @cmc.net

Bill Dwyer

lrarmsx

1733 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2003 :  11:02:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suspect the gun is nickel rather than stainless. Beretta didn't start making any of their handguns in stainless until the 1990's.

Go to Top of Page

mark christian
Administrator

Panama
19006 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2003 :  12:04:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I totally agree with Irarmsx; it must be a nickel finish as there were never any stainless 84's made- at least not that I have ever heard of in 25 years of Berreta collecting. The markings on the factory box would clear up any questions...do you have it? I am also curious that you say the pistol was imported in March of 1974- that is much earlier than that model should have been available. The BB marking indictates the pistol has the updated safety system with the automatically operating internal firing pin block. This was feature was not introduced until around 1982. Did you purchase this pistol YOURSELF in 1974 or has this information been passed onto you second hand (father, uncle, gun show seller)? 1984 would be a much more likely date for your pistol to have been sold since 1975 was the date of introduction of the Model 84 in Europe and I don't think any were imported into the US until 1977.

As to the pistol itself; the Model 84 was built on the Berreta medium frame and was a part of the popular 80-seies of handguns, which had many minor variations along with their changes in model numbers: 81,82,84,85,86 and 87. All of them were avialble on speical order with a magazine disconnect feature, plastic grips (in place of the wood) or nickel finish. These are all fine pistols and built to the usual Berreta high standards. In around 1992 the BB was discontinued and the F-series was introduced with the hammer de-cocking feature.
Although introduced as a para-military and police weapon the 84 found far more favor with civilians. By the late 1970's most Eurpoean police and quasi-military agencies were moving away from the smaller caliber .32 and .380 handguns in favor of the 9mm.

Mark T. Christian
Go to Top of Page

commissioner

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2003 :  3:58:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark: The Berreta factory gave me the date. they told me that they took possession of this weapon on March 4th 1974. The left side of the slide says Pietro Beretta Gardone V.T.-Made in Italy the Right side has a circle with the initals PB Patented Berben Corporation N.Y.-N.Y. Below on the frame is the serial number D0454Y. It has a PB above the trigger. In front of the trigger is a square with A1 in it and in front of this are four proof marks starting with PSF and three others yhatit is hard for me to describe. The two clips are also stainless. I don't think that it is nickle. I have several nickle weapons. I bought this weapon from the widow of a friend. It was his personal protection weapon that he kept by the bed. I doubt that it was fired very much as it appears new except for a small scratch on one grip when the spare clip rubbed against it in the weapon pouch. What say you now? I did not get any box with it as they did'nt keep empty boxes. Thanks for your input!

Bill Dwyer
Go to Top of Page

mark christian
Administrator

Panama
19006 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2003 :  4:54:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"What say you now"? I say I'm impressed! The pistol is actually marked 84 BB? That is 7 years before that marking was supposed to be introduced with the updated safety change. Interesting! Berben was an importer of Beretta pistols for many years, although all I've seen in the early 1970's were brought in by Garcia, which was later taken over by Beretta USA.

The PSF proof mark is for smokeless high power guns. There should be at least one star over the top of the PSF. This used to be a crown but that was changed in 1950 when the Italian Government required all proof houses to remove this last vestage of the monarchy. A pistol made in 1974 should bare the proof marking XXX somewhere as that was the proof code for that particular year. In 1975 this was changed to AA, then AB in 1976, AC, and so on. There were two areas on Model 84 pistols where these proof leters can appear: Either on the upper right portion of the trigger gaurd, just under the PSF proof, or the upper right surface of the frame, just under the hammer.

At this point in time I'd simply go along with what ever the factory tells you and get them to back it up in writing so that you won't have to be defending the pistol forever as correct. I learned a long time ago that the strangest guns can pop up- even ones that should not exist! This pistol could be a very rare prototype or special pre production model. I have a Colt Agent that was a factory reference piece from the Colt engineering department and these types of pistols were sometimes sold to collectors. Your pistol could have considerable value to a serious Beretta collector when the factory documentation is included. I'd keep this pistol VERY safe.

Mark T. Christian
Go to Top of Page

commissioner

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2003 :  5:38:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes: On the left side of the frame in front of the trigger guard it says Mod.84 BB-Cal.9 short . On top of the letters PSF moving towards the front thier is a star in a circle in front of that thier is a crest of some kind; it looks like crossed rifles inside of a sheild shape and in front of that their is another star in a circle. On the barrel itself it says cal.9 short and under this it says 380 auto. It has red sights and red on each side of the ambidextrious safety or decocker. The left grip has PB in a circle and the right grip has three arrows in small circles all pointing up. I have described all visible markings. I hope that this helps. The bottom of each clip says cal.9 short/380 It is possible that it is Nickle, How would I tell for sure? Thanks again for your help.

Bill Dwyer
Go to Top of Page

mark christian
Administrator

Panama
19006 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2003 :  6:07:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The sheild contains the outlines of two crossed rifles (with attached bayonets) with a hammer between them. This is the proof marking for all guns tested at the National proof house at Gardone- located adjacent to the Beretta factory...which by the way DOES NOT offer tours. I've been to Italy 8 times and have been trying since 1995- no luck yet. The Beretta museum is however quite quite interesting.

Commisioner I am the first to admit when I am licked. If your pistol is what you say it is- well it is WAY out of my league! This is a job for a truely serious Beretta expert: a real hardcore fanatic.

Mark T. Christian

Edited by - mark christian on 01/01/2003 6:08:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

commissioner

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2003 :  7:51:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have any idea of what it is worth? If I should list it,how much should I ask for it? Thanks, Bill

Bill Dwyer
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page