GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Is 10/22 "Bull/Heavy Barrel worth the $$$??
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

budget-gifts
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2003 :  9:47:08 PM  Show Profile
I'm going to by a Ruger 10/22 to shoot with my buddies,(plinking etc.) maybe take to
the gun club. Is it worth the extra $$$ to get the "Bull/Heavy Barrel" model? I don't plan
on doing much to the gun, other than a professional trigger job, and a nice scope. I
won't be modifying the gun for target shooting beyond that. Is it worth the extra cash
to get the Target gun? I don't want to spend more than I need to. THANKS!!!!!! CHRIS

SG&A , INC.

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2003 :  9:58:00 PM  Show Profile
Get the bull barrel, a good trigger assembly and a quality scope made sor a .22 rimfire and I'm sure you won't regret spending the extra it costs.
My humble opinion.

STAY SAFE
Go to Top of Page

mballai

1334 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2003 :  11:28:40 PM  Show Profile
There's a target model that I think comes with the better bull barrel. Add the trigger job and you've got a shooter that rivals some of the more expensive customized guns. Definitely worth it.

Three Precious Metals: Gold, silver and lead
Go to Top of Page

beantole

1392 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2003 :  11:33:49 PM  Show Profile
No, it is not worth the money. Trust me.

Bruce
Go to Top of Page

rballi

679 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2003 :  09:19:58 AM  Show Profile
Do you need chrome valve covers on your engine? Do you need super gombo monster mudder tires on your 4x4? Do you need racing stripes on your muscle car? Do you need $5000 worth of tools in your garage? No, no, no, no, but it helps and you want it too.

Same goes for gun accessories.
Go to Top of Page

IAMACLONE_2
Advanced Member

USA
4633 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2003 :  10:59:45 AM  Show Profile
I have a 10/22 stainless regular barrel, it would shot 3" groups @ 50yrds. And I aint no marksman shooter.
Bought the ramline stainless bull barrel & houge oversize/rubber coated stock, cost of about $250, but it still shoots 2 1/2 to 3" groups.
If I had it do do over again, I would buy the ruger 10/22 w/bull barrel & leave well enough alone.
My 2 cents
Walte
Go to Top of Page

gissimo
Starting Member

41 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2003 :  12:12:41 PM  Show Profile
I was given a marlin model 60. I ground off the cheek piece (so I could see thru the scope) and refinished the stock. On an indoor range, from a bench I can put 20 rounds into a 3/4 inch hole. Perhaps you could do better with a tricked out 10/22, but how much better do you want to do?

Go to Top of Page

Rembrandt
Advanced Member

5509 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2003 :  1:20:05 PM  Show Profile
I've got a Volquartzen HB that will shoot dime sized groups all day long at 100yds....much of this depends on what dimensions the chamber is cut for and quality of the ammo....

Go to Top of Page

Mr. Lobo

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2003 :  2:31:20 PM  Show Profile
I have the Ruger Target 10/22 in stainless. It is very accurate and I am completely satisfied with my purchase. If you like to plink with a .22 you will truly enjoy this gun.

Jim

Go to Top of Page

varmit hunter

1699 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2003 :  2:35:19 PM  Show Profile
Butler Creek .920 barrel, Fajen thumb hole stock, Trigger job. I hole at 50 yards even if you shoot the intire box. Love it.

If you just wont to plink. No you don't need it, But I love little bitty holes.

The most important things, Are not things.
Go to Top of Page

real-hftd

67 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2003 :  2:43:36 PM  Show Profile
I have to agree with Mr. Lobo, I am also completely satisfied. I've owned one for several years and the only .22 I like to shoot more is the HK-270. But for the money difference, you won't be sorry for selecting the Ruger. Happy shooting Warren

Go to Top of Page

Shootist3006
Advanced Member

4146 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2003 :  2:46:11 PM  Show Profile
quote:
I'm going to by a Ruger 10/22 to shoot with my buddies,(plinking etc.) maybe take to
the gun club

quote:
Is it worth the extra $$$ to get the "Bull/Heavy Barrel" model

NO, not if all you want to do is plink and casual target shooting.

Quod principi placuit legis habet vigorem.
Semper Fidelis

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page