GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 22 cal muzzle loader "gallery gun"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jjmitchell60
Advanced Member

USA
3602 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2003 :  02:50:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently aquired a 22 cal. muzzle loader that is rather short, has a back action percussion lock that looks as though it has an engraving of a dog treeing something, it was made with no half cock position, and is on maple full stock. the whole gun is est.36 inches long. I was told that it was made in late 1800's to shoot in bars for drinks, or at fairs for gallery guns, and some were sold as squirel rifles from hardware stores. can anyone tell me if any or all this could be true and the possible worth of the gun. it shoots #T shot .200. i cut a half cock in the tumbler as a safety for my kids to use it in 4-H shooting sports. any info would be greatly appreciated.
thanks,
jjmitchell60@msn.com

captkirk3@dslextreme.com
Administrator

5098 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2003 :  3:01:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never heard of a .22 Muzzleloader being used for a Gallery Gun....22 Caliber Bullets had been around for 50 years by 1900..I owned a .22 Caliber Muzzleloader once...What a pain in the patootie it turned out to be..The first shot was the best...after that the Black Powder residue built so fast that it took all the pleasure out of shooting...as You had to swab the Bore between every shot...I don't see a Gallery shooting Concession using this type of Rifle...It would be time consuming and there's NO money at that point for the Concessionaire...Your little gun was in all likelyhood a Gunsmith special....Value wise...Whatever someone is willing part with...? Maybe $50.00 to $75.00 on a clear day....

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff<P><BR>

Edited by - captkirk3@dslextreme.com on 01/05/2003 3:04:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

jjmitchell60
Advanced Member

USA
3602 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2003 :  7:22:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
appreciat the info. as far as cleaning after each shot, that is done in 4-h shooting competition any way. our rules require a shooter to swab and clean between each shot for safety reasons. i was playing around with the little gun one day at my farm and i shot it probably 20 or so times without swabing without any problems. the gun is a great little shooter and very accurate. the getleman who told me that they were used in bars to shoot for drinks stated that he had seen a couple more like mine and that was the main purpose of those two guns. as far as value, i have appr. $10 in it due to trading around for it and with the high scores in 4-h shooting my daughter has been getting with it, that was $10 well spent! one main problem that i have is still finding sources of #T buckshot that is still lead and not steel, zinc or copper plate. any ideas?
thanks,
jjmitchell60
Go to Top of Page

captkirk3@dslextreme.com
Administrator

5098 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2003 :  9:05:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nope....No Ideas at all...

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff

Go to Top of Page

bobwesley
Starting Member

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2003 :  10:17:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you decide to sell it let me know - bobwesley

Charles Williams
Go to Top of Page

outdoortexas
Advanced Member

USA
4556 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2003 :  7:19:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it a Flobert?

A picture would be helpful, any markings?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page