GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 7.65x51 AMMO Question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

roybme
Starting Member

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  01:10:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently picked up some 7.65x51 ammo NATO headstamped "DAG93LO406". I know that it is of German manufacture in 1993, but that is about all. The bullet is 147 a grain FMJBT with a cupronickle jacket and is highly magnetic. It supposedly has a “encapsulated DMIII bullet” whatever that means. Since cupronickle is not very magnetic, I wonder if this stuff is AP, or has a steel or iron core. Can someone clue me in to what all this means? Can I use this ammo at the local range where AP is prohibited, or do I need to dump it?

Laredo Lefty
Advanced Member

USA
11560 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  01:42:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If your range does not allow AP ammo, they will not let you use it there. They will likely use the magnet test, if it sticks its a no go.

Iam not sure if it has a steel core or a steel jacket.

Joe
"Never let school interfere with your education"
Go to Top of Page

Mobuck
Advanced Member

7528 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  07:40:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't "dump it". Send it to me, I can shoot whatever I want since I own the range.

Mobuck<BR>
Go to Top of Page

SoreShoulder

1952 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  08:51:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It probably has a mild steel jacket. I don't think anyone was using cupronickel in 1993. It is probably plated with some other metal. Encapsulated probably just means there's no exposed lead base.

Edited by - SoreShoulder on 03/25/2010 08:52:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

nmyers
Advanced Member

12695 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  09:29:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't give you a reference, but it's my understanding that there is an international agreement requiring a painted tip on non-standard military ammo. If it were AP, it would be painted (probably black).

I believe SoreShoulder is correct. Two of my local ranges now require encapsulated bullets.

Neal
Go to Top of Page

heavyiron

USA
1409 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  6:02:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

No, your bullets are not AP. They are cupronickel clad, mild steel jacketed, lead core bullets.

These are surplus and were being offered for sale by a multitude of retailers including Sportmans Guide. These were offered in 200 round battle packs and cases. The cartridge is Berdan primed and is noncorrosive. Here is a photo of what you are describing (I hope):

These cartridges were made by Dynamit Nobel of Germany - the same Nobel as in the Nobel Peace Prize and dynamite.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Heavyiron

"If I don't see you nomore on this world, I'll meet you on the next one, and don't be late!" - Jimi Hendrix
Go to Top of Page

roybme
Starting Member

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  7:32:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup, that is the stuff. I just hope the range doesn't give me any grief about the magnetic issue.

Thanks.
quote:
Originally posted by heavyiron

Hi,

No, your bullets are not AP. They are cupronickel clad, mild steel jacketed, lead core bullets.

These are surplus and were being offered for sale by a multitude of retailers including Sportmans Guide. These were offered in 200 round battle packs and cases. The cartridge is Berdan primed and is noncorrosive. Here is a photo of what you are describing (I hope):

These cartridges were made by Dynamit Nobel of Germany - the same Nobel as in the Nobel Peace Prize and dynamite.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Heavyiron

Go to Top of Page

heavyiron

USA
1409 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  8:28:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

This is NATO spec ammunition and all members of NATO (which would include Germany) use the same identification system to color code their ammunition.

In other words, if this were AP ammunition, the NATO color code would be a black tipped bullet. If the ammunition you have is like the ammunition pictured above, it is NATO ammunition because the box above has the NATO symbol printed on it.

The majority of military ammunition in the world today, especially of European or Asian manufacture, use mild steel jackets instead of copper or gilding metal jackets. Copper and gilding metal have normally been too valuable for Europe and Asia to use for bullets and they have therefore, used mild steel for the bullet jacket and often, too, the cases are made from steel. We just are not used to seeing it here in the US, in military or sporting rounds.

Best,

Heavyiron

"If I don't see you nomore on this world, I'll meet you on the next one, and don't be late!" - Jimi Hendrix
Go to Top of Page

SoreShoulder

1952 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  8:45:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You gotta figure machine guns will burn the barrel out before any serious wear issues arise.
Go to Top of Page

roybme
Starting Member

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  11:48:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I received additional information from a cartridge collector friend of mine that might be helpful for anyone interested in this topic. An excerpt from his answer followes:

"It is ordinary ball ammunition. The jacket is CNCS (Cupro-nickel-clad steel). The nickel is applied to prevent the steel jacket from rusting and to provide a softer material to contact the rifling. The steel used in bullet jackets is often referred to as "mild steel" and is not very hard to begin with. There is nothing inherently wrong with a steel jacket and the U.S. Military has used plenty of them in ball ammunition over the years in times when copper prices were high or copper was needed for other applications. The word "Weichkern" in German, by the way, means "Soft Core," an additional reference to it not being AP along with the Model number of DM (Deutsche Modell) 111.

DAG usually makes a good product, and I have no reason to believe that your DAG (Dynamit Actiengesellschaft, usually written as Dynamit A.-G or simply Dynamit AG) ammo isn't good stuff. The black "ball" on your label means exactly that - Ball ammunition. It is the NATO-approved symbol. The Symbol of a circle enclosing a cross is the NATO emblem, indicating the ammunition meets NATO specification for issue to NATO troops."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page