GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 broomhandle mauser won't fire
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dsmc1

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  2:04:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Hope someone with knowledge of broomhandles might be able to help.

Gun will not fire a cartridge as it is configured. And YES I am using 30 mauser/7.63x25 ammo. It's a 1912-15 vintage, per the serial # range

The firing pin which measures 4.75 inches seems to protrude thru the face of the bolt enough to strike the primer when it's fired, but does not protrude enough thru the REAR of the bolt for the hammer to strike it. Maybe a .010 gap. And only about .010 of the pin showing. (Could the rear end of the pin be worn off?) This means that there is a gap of ABOUT .020 between the hammer and the rear end of the bolt, when the hammer hits the back of the frame. Filing the "stop" on the hammer might resolve the problem, but I don't want to go there unless all else fails; it might screw up the timing inside the action if the hammer is coming forward more.

The return spring on the pin seems to have plenty of resistance to push it back toward the rear of the bolt, but it obviously will only go back as far as the lugs will allow it to.

I placed a primed cartridge in the action, placed a piece of metal over the rear of the firing pin that protrudes from the rear of the bolt, pulled the trigger and the primer fired.

No evidence of bulges in the barrel, and the extractor IS engaging the rim of the shell OK, so I assume the bolt is moving forward enough to properly engage the cartridge in the chamber. I disassembled it again and made sure the rim of the cartridge IS fitting into the face of the bolt.

All parts are original, matching numbers, ECXEPT the safety, which I had to buy from Sarco, Inc.

Bolt return spring is broken and needs to be replaced. Plan to order one from Sarco, but need to determine if I need anything else first. But suspect that spring being broken would not cause this problem.

MY first guess would be that the firing pin is too short where it protrudes beyond the "lugs" that hold it inside the bolt, or that there could be some grunge inside the bolt preventing it from coming back enough to engage the hammer, but don't see any problems there.

Any of you guys have any suggestions? Appreciate any help you can give me.
And Happy Easter and Passover to all of you and your Families.
Thanks,
Dave

5mmgunguy
Advanced Member

3813 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  3:06:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you removed the firing pin and cleaned it and the firing pin hole in the bolt? Sometimes something gets in there and doesn't allow the firing pin to return to proper battery.
Go to Top of Page

gruntled
Advanced Member

8772 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  4:04:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I get a reading of .038" for the firing pin protruding when I cock the hammer. If I push the firing pin forward this amount it still does not protrude from the front of the bolt.
The problem could be the firing pin spring or gunk but it could be as simple as the firing pin not being properly oriented. There is a slot on the rear for a screwdriver & it should be vertical. To dissassemble
the firing pin you push it forward & turn it. When you do that it could stick partway forward. However that's approx .090" and should very obvious. That also leaves the firing pin exposed at the breach face & could cause a slam fire.
Since you say the firing pin does protrude .010" I should suspect either the spring or grunge.
Go to Top of Page

dsmc1

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  6:25:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi guys thanks for the tips. Took the pin out and cleaned it good. No issues there.
I tried another pin I just picked up on the auction side. Hadn't tried it before, because the business end is worn out and short. HOWEVER I compared the lugs, and the newer one has MUCH SHORTER LUGS than the one that came with the pistol. So I installed that one, and sure enough, THAT pin protrudes about .045 from the back of the bolt, so the hammer, that has a .024 gap is hitting it. The original pin was protruding only .018

So it appears that I need to file down the lugs on the pin that came with the pistol OR order a new one from Sarco, which MAY need the same treatment to make it work correctly. this would also eliminate the problem that the pin is currently exposed on the face of the bolt, and could cause a slam fire.

I don't know if the pin is original to the gun, as the only mark on it is what appears to be a proof mark or single digit on the flat between the lugs.

Does this solution sound right to you guys?
Go to Top of Page

gruntled
Advanced Member

8772 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  8:41:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are different models of the Broomhandle & they may have different firing pins. Your new one just might work. It's a rebounding pin so it might not seem to be long enough. Give it a try.
Go to Top of Page

dsmc1

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  6:57:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BINGO! Thanks Gruntled, that worked, at least with primed cases.

Will order a bolt return spring and try it with a couple of live rounds.

Thanks again.

Dave
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page