GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 EAA Witness/ CZ75 Update
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

armilite
Advanced Member

British Indian Ocean Territories
27681 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  12:34:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any one know if the grips interchange between these 2 guns.

Beantown After an hour of stretching and so forth I now have this.

How ever there is some bad news. My magazines no longer fit in the gun. Two of them will only go in half way and the other two will go in all the way but are very difficult to remove.

I suspect it has to do with the inside of the new grip panels fitting a little deeper into the frame than the originals.
I'm going to let the gun sit for about a week and hopefully the grips will stretch a little more and then would be easier to replace.
After that week or so I'll remove the grips and shave the inside of the new grip panels.

I really had to stretch those grips they were so close but again so far.

Thx for all your help Beantown I owe you one.

Kill the Head and the Body Will Follow.
New Orleans Saints Defensive Coordinator

They made penicillin from moldy bread so there is hope for you.

There is no situation that you can not get yourself out of with the proper amount of explosives.

G19

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.aspx?User=190228">My Stuff for Sale at GunBroker.com

Edited by - armilite on 04/27/2010 9:56:40 PM

BHAVIN
Advanced Member

USA
3385 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  12:58:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought a set of Hogue CZ grips years ago and they would not fit on my Witness. These were one piece wrap around and not the two piece style.

Check out my auctions. www.GunBroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.asp?User=258519

Edited by - BHAVIN on 04/21/2010 12:59:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

iwannausername
Advanced Member

7043 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  08:08:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The newer Witness is a CZ97b clone, the older ones are CZ75 size.

user@darkstar:~$ links -dump http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.billofrights.html | grep "the people"
or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to
the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and
construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.
or to the people.

Why is it that one of these "the peoples" isn't considered to be The People?
Go to Top of Page

beantownshootah
Advanced Member

USA
13062 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  08:53:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by armilite1015

Any one know if the grips interchange between these 2 guns.

Depends on the exact model.

The *older* EAA Witnesses are CZ75 clones, based on the "small frame", and if that's what you have, you have a pretty good chance that ordinary CZ75 grips will fit. These guns are all in either 9mm luger or .40SW (and mostly 9mm).

When I say "chance" its because apparently the grip shape on the older small frame Witness did vary a little depending on when the gun was made and which exact model. My understanding is that SOME CZ-75 grips may require slight fitting to work on the small frame EAA Witnesses.

But I'm absolutely sure the Hogue wraparound grips for the CZ-75 (for example) can fit on the older EAA Witness, or because of their elasticity, can be made to fit with minimal effort. I've seen it with my own eyes on actual guns, and here is the picture of the same from Hogue's website (note the decocking lever and EAA label on the gun):

Hogue claims its wood CZ75 grips will fit these guns too (as well as some other common CZ75 clones):

http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=116_125

All of the *current* EAA Witnesses (and some of the older ones, including ALL of the guns in .45ACP, 10mm, and .38 super) are based on a larger frame, that of the CZ-97. So no, you're not going to get CZ-75 grips to fit on these.

Hope that helped a little.

Edit (responding to below):
I doubt that you're going to be able to get the Hogue CZ75 grips to fit on your (CZ97 frame clone) .38 Super Witness, but after you've tried it, could you please post the update here of fit or not?

Edited by - beantownshootah on 04/21/2010 9:31:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

armilite
Advanced Member

27681 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  9:14:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought a EAA Witness in .38 Super here on GB and I get to pick it up tomorrow I wanted to put the exact same grips on it that beantownshootah
has pictured. If you look at the CZ75 the EAA Witness and the new Armalite AR24 they all look to me as if they have identical frames.
Thx for your help I'm going to order a set and give it a go.

There is no situation that you can not get yourself out of with the proper amount of explosives.

G19

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.aspx?User=190228">My Stuff for Sale at GunBroker.com

Go to Top of Page

armilite
Advanced Member

27681 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  5:57:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
beantownshootah Are you trying to tell me that the 38 super is on a larger frame than the 9mm?? I thought about this as every thing points to the grips you have pictured as being on the 9mm frame. I wasn't sure if that was the case or not but I will order them anyway and see if I can make them fit. Would the CZ 97 frame that you mention be of the 38 super persuasion. Thanks again for your help.

G19

Go to Top of Page

beantownshootah
Advanced Member

USA
13062 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  12:01:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by armilite1015

beantownshootah Are you trying to tell me that the 38 super is on a larger frame than the 9mm?? I thought about this as every thing points to the grips you have pictured as being on the 9mm frame. I wasn't sure if that was the case or not but I will order them anyway and see if I can make them fit. Would the CZ 97 frame that you mention be of the 38 super persuasion. Thanks again for your help.

Not exactly. Bear with me here, because I'm deliberately giving you a lot more information than you are asking about.

Tanfoglio Witness guns (currently imported into the USA by EAA) came in two frame sizes, the "small frame" which is based on the 9mm luger CZ-75 and the "large frame" which is based on the .45ACP CZ97.

There are a few other Tanfoglio made guns based on the smaller frame, including the original TZ-75 (which was a more faithful CZ-75 clone imported by Springfield Arms and long since discontinued) and the current manufacture Israeli Jericho pistol (aka, "Baby Eagle" "Uzi Eagle", etc). That gun is built and finished in Israel, but the frames were designed by Tanfoglio and I think the raw frame castings are still made in Italy. CZ-75 grips should fit on the TZ-75. I don't know if they will fit on the Jericho pistol. . .this may be a case where they're close but some fitting is necessary.

Getting back to your question, and to clarify a bit, here are the available caliber conversions for the Tanfoglio (EAA) Witness:

Small frame: 9mm luger, 40SW, .22LR (all discontinued).

Large frame: 9mm luger, 40SW, 9x21, .38 super, 45ACP, 10mm (and I *think* .22LR, though I'm not sure about that). All of these are currently in production.

For what its worth, you can have a custom barrel in 357 SIG made for your gun if you like. Also, supposedly you can safely run the 357 magnum-like 9x23 Winchester through a stock .38 Super Witness. . .but you do so at your own risk!

Note that you CANNOT run a small frame upper/slide on the large frame or vice versa. You need a small frame 9mm luger upper to run on a small frame gun and a large frame 9mm luger upper to run on a large frame gun. There is also no way to run .45ACP, 10mm, 38 super on a small frame gun.

Getting back to your question, the point is this, because YOUR gun runs .38 Super it MUST be a large frame gun.

Yes, you can swap out your 38 super slide and barrel for a 9mm luger set and run 9mm luger through your gun, but the grips from a CZ75 still probably won't fit because the frame is different!

Now, as it happens, the Hogue grips are rubberized and stretchy, so you might be able to make them fit even if they aren't really "supposed" to. . .that I don't know. Again, try it and let us know.

As another consideration, this particular outfit has a reasonable selection of EAA Witness grips, that you might consider:

http://www.henningshootsguns.com/shop/grips.html

EDIT: Responding to below.
EAA Witness is a nice gun. I'm sure you'll be happy with yours. For years I think this was one of the best values in gun buys, as the gun was largely unknown and underappreciated.

Edit #2, responding to above:
Thanks for the followup. Glad to hear that stretching worked. If they are impinging into the magwell, you'll probably have to reduce their thickness by sanding.

Edited by - beantownshootah on 04/27/2010 11:51:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

armilite
Advanced Member

27681 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  11:08:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing wrong with a lot of information but this is what I'm dealing with. I ordered the Hogue grips and they should be here Tuesday.
I'll let you know what transpires.

G19

Edited by - armilite on 04/23/2010 11:08:22 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page