GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Taurus 44 Special
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

drygulchstan

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2010 :  10:49:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heres an ad a guy has, does anyone know anything about such a gun?

I have for sale is a limited edition taurus stainless 44 special with 6" barrel with full 6" lug its 5 shot it was made for one year 1992 so it almost 20years old but dont look like it,it was made for cowboy western action shooting its in 98% condition has not been shot but 10 times I am asking $1200

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Edited by - mark christian on 06/18/2010 11:31:29 AM

BigLoop22

USA
561 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2010 :  02:16:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
drygulchstan,

I believe that you are quoting an advertisement for a revolver, right? You are not trying to sell anything, correct? Do you have model number for this gun?

EDIT:

If it is the "Model 441" that you are talking about, then here is one of them on auction, right now:

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=174909532

BigLoop22
---------------------------------

Hunt101 Photo Complete "img" Links:

Edited by - BigLoop22 on 06/19/2010 12:41:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

beantownshootah
Advanced Member

USA
12946 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2010 :  09:08:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
EDITED for content:

Why do I feel like an English teacher? Here it is again, cleaned up a bit:
quote:
Originally posted by drygulchstan

Heres a ad a guy has. Does anyone know anything about such a gun?
quote:
[What] I have for sale is a limited edition Taurus stainless 44 special with 6" barrel with and full 6" lug. Its 5 shot. It was made for one year 1992 so [while] it [is] almost 20 years old, [it doesn't] but dont look like it. It was made for cowboy western action shooting. Its in 98% condition [and] has not been shot but 10 times. I am asking $1200

OK, to respond to this, Taurus is known for putting out limited runs of guns in various configurations. If they do well, they repeat the run, and if not, they drop it.

So far as I know **NO** Taurus gun has significant collectors value. Taurus revolvers from the early 1990s, are not known for good quality control. . .many of them have timing and other problems.

I strongly doubt that this gun was made for "Cowboy action shooting", since virtually all of the handguns used in that sort of competition are either 6-shot Peacemaker-like single action revolvers or derringers (not 5-shot guns with underlugs).

I think what this guy is probably selling is a Taurus 441 double-action .44 special revolver, which is a 5-shot gun that DID come with a full underlug. You can see one in the lower right of this image:

$1200 for **ANY** used Taurus .44 special (or heck, probably any Taurus WHATEVER) is an absolutely insane asking price. For that price you could buy a pristine and TRULY collectible double-action Colt Anaconda in .44 magnum, or instead both a brand new single-action Ruger .44 special Blackhawk *AND* a brand new Smith 624 double-action .44 special.

Without knowing exactly what the Taurus is or looks like, its hard to give a precise price, but I'd think that $350 is probably pretty close to the true market value. (And that assumes its really in 97%+ cosmetic and 100% functional condition).

In short then, in my opinion, this seller is either ignorant about the true nature and value of the gun he has, or he's being intentionally dishonest and looking for a sucker. Either way, the seller is probably NOT going to want to let go of this gun near its true market value. But I suppose it can't hurt to try.

To add insult to injury here, personally I see very little reason for the existence of a 6" barrelled medium or large frame double-action .44 special gun.

While itself an excellent defensive cartridge roughly equivalent power-wise to .45 [Long] Colt or .45 ACP, .44 special rounds themselves can be hard to find and tend to be nearly as expensive as full .44 magnum rounds. Unless you're loading the rounds yourself, or made of money, this is simply not a cost-effective caliber to "plink" or practice with.

Overall size/weight makes a gun like that somewhat impractical for ordinary defensive carry and less than ideal for home defense.

For hunting/sporting applications, and/or defense against wild animals (eg bears, cougars, whatever) a gun of that size is probably better chambered in .44 magnum which adds quite a bit more power and versatility. Of course you can always load .44 special rounds into .44 magnum revolvers meaning you give up nothing by having the gun in .44 magnum.

Edited by - beantownshootah on 06/18/2010 11:24:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

CS8161
Advanced Member

USA
13975 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2010 :  10:45:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Run away...fast! Maybe if he were selling five Taurus revolvers for $1200 and even that would be a stretch!

CS8161
Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof!

My Guns for Sale at GunBroker.com
http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.asp?User=144598

Go to Top of Page

The artist formerly known as Dano
Starting Member

South Sandwich Islands
1 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2010 :  1:18:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm thinkin the Taurus factory ain't worth $1200.00.

The "ONLY" bad thing about owning "A GUN" is........not owning two or more!

When the dust settles and the smoke has cleared, it's not the firearm in hand that determines accuracy, but rather, the hand on the firearm.

If you don't take CONTROL of the situation, the situation will take CONTROL of you!
Go to Top of Page

CS8161
Advanced Member

USA
13975 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2010 :  2:15:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dano

CS8161
Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof!

My Guns for Sale at GunBroker.com
http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.asp?User=144598

Go to Top of Page

CapnMidnight
Advanced Member

USA
5502 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2010 :  01:49:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a $400.00 gun, if it's in like new condition.
W.D.
Go to Top of Page

sig232
Advanced Member

USA
8111 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2010 :  4:22:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dano

Hilarious!

I believe Taurus made both the 441 and 431 models, one with adj sights and the other without. Produced them in both Stainless Steel and Blue finish.

I have one of the high polish SS model 431 with a 4" barrel. Its been and OK shooter but I would not put any high power stuff in it.

Value would be as others said $300-$400 tops.

Harley 05 Softail Owner
Patriot Guard Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Go to Top of Page

The artist formerly known as Dano
Starting Member

South Sandwich Islands
1 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2010 :  5:03:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I admit to owning two Taurus's. One is a model 94 with a 4" barrel that I bought for my 10 yr. old grandson, as it will be his to learn on in about a year or so.

The other is an older model 85 w/2" bbl., that has been to the factory for a ported barrel and trigger job. They did a super job on the porting and trigger.

The "ONLY" bad thing about owning "A GUN" is........not owning two or more!

When the dust settles and the smoke has cleared, it's not the firearm in hand that determines accuracy, but rather, the hand on the firearm.

If you don't take CONTROL of the situation, the situation will take CONTROL of you!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page