GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Pitted shotgun barrel , How to repair?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

djh860
Advanced Member

USA
3491 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  07:43:05 AM  Show Profile
I have a old Lefever nitro proof barrel that has some light surface pitting. I'd like to fill in the pitting and reblue the barrels.

Can this be done?

jaegermister

466 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  08:54:48 AM  Show Profile
Pitting on the outside of barrel needs surface taken down below the depth of deepest pit. Problem is shot barrels on quality guns is thin to begin with and you can not go very far.
Go to Top of Page

bpost

USA
28986 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  10:20:20 AM  Show Profile
Just curious, on shotgun tubes, could the barrels be preheated to about 400 degrees to reduce distortion and then TIG welded to fill in the pits?

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Go to Top of Page

USN_Airdale
Advanced Member

USA
3761 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  10:33:06 AM  Show Profile
in my OPINION.., it would be best to just leave it be, any welding or repairs as you are suggesting would destroy it's value.., and possibly the entire gun.

COME AND GET IT !
Go to Top of Page

djh860
Advanced Member

USA
3491 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  10:35:46 AM  Show Profile
Well the gun is worth $350 and thats all a beat shooter is worth so I'm not worried about its value. I was wondering is I could fill with solder and sand smooth.
Go to Top of Page

givette
Advanced Member

11185 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  10:52:19 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by djh860

Well the gun is worth $350 and thats all a beat shooter is worth so I'm not worried about its value. I was wondering is I could fill with solder and sand smooth.

Glad you brought it up. Now..

Take it to the range and pattern it. If it patterns Okay (no reason not to), you will have had one less item of concern. Best, Joe

Go to Top of Page

Ambrose

1823 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  10:52:50 AM  Show Profile
Please don't do that! There's somebody out there that would love that old gun just the way it is. Sell it and start over.
Go to Top of Page

tommyjoe

USA
1145 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  12:21:38 PM  Show Profile
You didnt say but if this is a double barrel, heat will melt the solder holding the barrels together and the ribs. I had a LC Smith double that was pitted. I filled all the pits with JB weld and sanded smooth. A couple of coats of primer and a final coat of Dura Coat flat black made them very presentable. All for about $20.
Tom
Go to Top of Page

jaegermister

466 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  1:55:47 PM  Show Profile
OH My you guys are crude...but ok... if that is enough. See if you can buy (at automotive supply house) a bottle, not spray aerosol of a product call "1 Step, by Marhyde. Apply it to the barrels (after you degrease) it will turn the rust to a hard black almost like enamel smooth. let dry , two coats. great stuff this "1 step" I use it on classic car restoration you can be the first to try on a shotgun. Kills rust turns it smooth black, expensive $30 a quart, hazardous vapors.
Go to Top of Page

GuvamintCheese
Advanced Member

30206 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  5:45:32 PM  Show Profile
If its just a beat shooter then let it be and shoot it. You could sand out the pitts but you might take off more metal than is safe. There is nothing you can "fill" it with.
Go to Top of Page

Barzillia
Advanced Member

19586 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  7:41:42 PM  Show Profile
A light file does wonders.

"Most people fancy themselves innocent of those crimes of which they cannot be convicted." Seneca

"Hope has two children: anger, and courage." Augustine, Confessions

Der Verzagten aber und Ungläubigen und Greulichen und Totschläger und Hurer und Zauberer und Abgöttischen und aller Lügner, deren Teil wird sein in dem Pfuhl, der mit Feuer und Schwefel brennt; das ist der andere Tod.

Go to Top of Page

Hawk Carse
Advanced Member

3478 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  8:19:29 PM  Show Profile
Duracoat has a product called Durafil that you can apply before coating. Think of it as Bondo before the paint.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page