GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Hawes (Sauer) .22 lr Deputy Marshal revolver
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Barzillia
Advanced Member

19584 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2010 :  08:20:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Picked one up yesterday, seems to be a neat little revolver, but the finish has been removed and all that I am really seeing is a grey metal frame and strap.

It appears to have been originally finished/painted black...does anybody know what finish it was, or can this be blued or rust blacked ?

"Most people fancy themselves innocent of those crimes of which they cannot be convicted." Seneca

"Hope has two children: anger, and courage." Augustine, Confessions

Der Verzagten aber und Ungläubigen und Greulichen und Totschläger und Hurer und Zauberer und Abgöttischen und aller Lügner, deren Teil wird sein in dem Pfuhl, der mit Feuer und Schwefel brennt; das ist der andere Tod.

Edited by - Barzillia on 07/25/2010 08:42:50 AM

perry shooter
Advanced Member

13769 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2010 :  09:19:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can't BLUE pot metal Frame and outside of barrel the barrel may be lined with a steel insert but frame and outside of barrel is MOST LIKELY POT METAL . This was a very cheaply built pistol.
Go to Top of Page

Barzillia
Advanced Member

19584 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2010 :  10:15:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes it is, and that was what I was thinking, but price was right for something to keep down at the farm.

The barrel and cylinder are both steel, no inserts, but the frame is not magnetic.

Maybe gunkote.

"Most people fancy themselves innocent of those crimes of which they cannot be convicted." Seneca

"Hope has two children: anger, and courage." Augustine, Confessions

Der Verzagten aber und Ungläubigen und Greulichen und Totschläger und Hurer und Zauberer und Abgöttischen und aller Lügner, deren Teil wird sein in dem Pfuhl, der mit Feuer und Schwefel brennt; das ist der andere Tod.

Edited by - Barzillia on 07/25/2010 10:18:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

Fatstrat
Advanced Member

8273 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2010 :  10:17:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is my understanding that there are finishes, such as those used on the Aluminum M-16's, that will work on these. Even some spray on ones. Brownells has them, but not sure what they are called.

I walk away from auto-flush toilets like movie stars walk away from explosions.....
Go to Top of Page

sharpshooter039
Advanced Member

USA
4340 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2010 :  10:37:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have one I keep in my bass boat. The finish was almost all gone when I got it. I cleaned it very well,made sure it had no oil or grease and spray painted black with a quality high temp engine paint. Its still on there 3yrs layer and going strong. It looks better than the original finish
Go to Top of Page

spasmcreek
Advanced Member

20951 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2010 :  10:49:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
brownells has sveral finishes that work well...have used some flat & gloss black then put in toaster oven at 250 for 30 minutes ...did an American arms 22lr 1911 copy and several sa ejector housings
Go to Top of Page

Grasshopper
Advanced Member

7305 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2010 :  2:23:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brownells would have a great black dull finish that would be perfect for that gun. VERY durable also
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page