GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 What is My AK47 Worth?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

weklund
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  12:00:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi
I am looking for an approximate value for my Pre Ban AK-47. I have owned the gun for approximately 10 years and I am the original owner. The gun has never been field fired only range fired at my Gunsmith's indoor 15 yard range (Approx. 10 Rounds). The gun is in excellent condition, as the photos depict. Any information would be appreciated. Many Thanks ... Will

FEG AK-47 SA 85MCAL. 7.62 X 39 KBI INC Harrisburg, Pa. MDL #092XX

... Happy Landings ...

Edited by - weklund on 07/29/2010 1:26:21 PM

mark christian
Administrator

Panama
19383 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  1:09:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll just ask this now: If you are the original owner what exactly happened to the original wood? What is on the rifle right now looks to be either Egyptian or (possibly) Romanian laminated and the stock appears to be a very poor fit to the receiver; it is over sized and quite obvious where the stock enters the rear of the receiver. There are some other things that don't quite add up. Did you thread the barrel yourself? It looks like the front sight pins have been punched, the barrel threaded, the retainer for the flash hider and it's spring installed in the front sight and then reinstalled...And not too well. The East German night sights on the rifle are a nice touch but not correct, nor is the AK-74 muzzle break. It appears to be a thumbhole stock rifle that you switched over to make it look more military, but you used incorrect parts to do it with and the rifle would actually be worth more in it's orignal unaltered condition than it is right now. If you had used the correct Hungarian military parts then you would have been way ahead of the game.

Pre ban (by Pre ban that means pre Bush Ban 1989) Hungarian AKs have very distinctive wood: It is a type of steamed elm and the pistol grips are of a style used on no other AKs:

Pre ban rifles are also marked with the KASSNAR branding, KBI came much later and designated the sporter rifles. Notice the pre ban marking from my own Hungarian rifle:

Edited by - mark christian on 07/29/2010 1:35:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

tsr1965
Advanced Member

USA
7157 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  1:33:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If this gun is only 10 years old, then it was a post ban gun, that was/has been converted back to pre ban configuration. The ban was from 1994-2004.

As Mark has stated, a lot of things are not correct. But to answer your question, it is worth about $400.00-450 right now.

Best

Edited by - tsr1965 on 07/29/2010 1:34:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

weklund
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  1:35:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the information. I have not alterd the gun in any way since I originally purchased the gun from a FFL dealer at The Anaheim Gun Show. As far as I know I am the original owner and the gun is registered to me. I am not a gun expert and I have done nothing to alter the gun since the day of purchase. This gun is set up exactly as it was sold to me and it is what it is. Based on that I am still looking for an approximate value. Thanks...

... Happy Landings ...
Go to Top of Page

mark christian
Administrator

Panama
19383 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  1:40:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It might be worth $500. If it were in it's original unmolested condition then you'd probably be looking at closer to $700. Actual pre ban Kassnar marked rifles (pre 1989 rifles) are worth about $1500+. The Hungarians, even the KBI sporters, are high quality rifles, but yours has been altered to the point where it's desirability has fallen off considerably. I hope you did not spend too much on it.

This gives you a better look at the type of very distinctive wood which the Hungarian rifles used. Notice the high level of fit and finish:

Edited by - mark christian on 07/29/2010 2:06:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

weklund
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  1:46:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pre ban refers to date of manufacture as I recall. The time of purchase is approximate. I would have to research the exact day of purchase. My motivation at the time of purchase was to accquire the gun prior to the Ban. You are the experts and I find this information very interesting.

quote:
Originally posted by tsr1965

If this gun is only 10 years old, then it was a post ban gun, that was/has been converted back to pre ban configuration. The ban was from 1994-2004.

As Mark has stated, a lot of things are not correct. But to answer your question, it is worth about $400.00-450 right now.

Best

... Happy Landings ...
Go to Top of Page

mark christian
Administrator

Panama
19383 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  1:59:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pre ban AKs are those rifles which were imported into the United States prior to 1989. At the end of 1989 President George (Poppa) Bush issued an executive order blocking the importation of all semi automatic rifles which had a military configuration and this executive order was later made permanent. Starting in 1990 all AK type rifles were imported with a thumb hole type sporter stock and their military features were removed. The 1994 ban (and it's expiration in 2004) had absolutely no impact on the importation of foreign made semi automatic military style rifles, and in fact they are still banned from importation. Someone took a post '89 ban KBI sporter rifle and changed it's configuration from sporter to military. It is not pre ban AK because imported semi auto rifles must have been imported prior to 1989 to qualify as pre ban, but it can comply with the regulations if enough parts were replaced with American made parts to make it "USA MADE".

This is how your rifle most likely began it's life:
http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=180067977

Notice how the markings on the receiver in the above listed rifle are identical to yours? Your rifle is a post ban sporter that was modified into it's current configuration.

Edited by - mark christian on 07/29/2010 2:05:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

weklund
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  2:14:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info Mark. You know your stuff. I really appreciate the insight and it is very nice to know where I stand. I may offer this one up for sale as it is unlikely that I will be using this trusty beast in the near future. Many Thanks for your consideration.

... Happy Landings ...
Go to Top of Page

mark christian
Administrator

Panama
19383 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  2:19:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I were you I would hang onto it. There might be another Obama induced buying panic like the one we had at the end of 2008 when prices shot through the roof! The market is soft right now and to be brutally honest with you there are simply too many AKs like yours out there that are in USA MADE configuration. Unless you really need the money this is a poor time to think about selling.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page