GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Spiegel "Huntmaster" Number 85 - 16 gauge
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sgt1775
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2010 :  02:46:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anybody know anything about this gun? Very hard to find any cross referencing material about this particular model. Just looking for history and value.

“HUNTMASTER” NUMBER 85
Spiegel Inc. Chicago, Ill.
Proof Tested 16 Guage
2 ¾ Inch Chamber
16 Guage
Weaver Choke
El Paso, TX USA
Patent Pending
Patent Number 1773760

navc130

279 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2010 :  10:03:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a Stevens Model 620-C (same as) if the compensator / choke was factory installed. Made from 1927 - 53. 2006 Gun Traders Guide value good condition $199.
Go to Top of Page

Tailgunner1954
Advanced Member

7200 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2010 :  1:53:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spiegel Inc. Chicago, Ill.
As in J.C.Spiegel company. Your wife/mother would be more familiar with them, as they handle a lot of women's cloths now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
Go to Top of Page

mark christian
Administrator

Panama
19006 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2010 :  2:35:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spiegel Inc. was a large catalog company base out of Chicago and sold a wide variety of products through the mail, including firearms back in the old days. All of their guns were private branded models produced by other companies and your Model 85 sure looks like the old Stevens 620-C which navc130 has already told you about. The compensator attached to the muzzle was a popular device back in it's day, as was the old 16 gauge shell. The Stevens 620 is what is commonly known in the industry as a "Utility Gun" meaning that is was designed for the field and there is nothing fancy about it, you just bought the gun, dragged it out into the field and started shooting it. On a good day a decent 16 ga. Stevens 620 in the condition your gun is in might bring $150, but the Huntmaster catalog guns are worth less than the genuine article from Stevens so you are probably looking at closer to $125. These are good working guns; they made them for decades and they last just about forever so it will still provide plenty of good service.

Edited by - mark christian on 08/21/2010 2:37:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mossbergboogie
Advanced Member

USA
12839 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2010 :  3:15:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had a 20ga.. Spiegel That was a great uncles my dad and uncle learned to hunt with it and then me but it is gone now... Not sure where it ended up... sad.. Pretty much a utility gun we always called it the dog leg..

"There are few people who are more often in the wrong than those who cannot endure to be so." Francois De La Rochefoucauld

I know who I am and who I was. Who I am is always better than who I was.

"In a world where our [political] choices are limited to John Boehner and Nancy Pelosi, the survivors envy the dead," matt welch and nick gillespie The Declaration of Independants
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page