GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 ROHM RG 38S, 38 Special Revolver
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lightz1
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2010 :  6:11:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently bought a Rohm RG 38S, 38 Special Revolver. I did a lot of searching online to find information regarding this gun. I found information scattered throughout forums and personal sites. I decided to share this information with others looking for the same thing. I have put together a site online that shares information that I collected and also provides links to parts list, instructions for using the gun, stores that carry parts for this gun and some positive comments regarding the Rohm RG 38s by their owners. You will easily find a lot negative comments regarding Rohm RG. If you are looking for information regarding Rohm RG 38s revolver check out this site: http://rohmrg38s.weebly.com/

Let me know if you have any other sources for information that would help owners. I appreciate any comments.

txlawdog
Advanced Member

USA
8336 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2010 :  6:18:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have never heard very many positive comments regarding this company or its guns.

I wish you luck.
Go to Top of Page

ruger41
Advanced Member

USA
9733 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2010 :  6:27:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't believe there would be enough collector interest to even have a website dedicated to RG's but what the heck-the internet has everything else. Good luck to ya though.

Go to Top of Page

mark christian
Administrator

Panama
19238 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2010 :  6:37:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
back when I first got into the gun business in the middle 1970s your RG 38S with a 3" or 4" barrel carried a retail price of $74.95, or $88.95 for the nickel version. All things being relevant; that is about three hundred bucks in today's money, and I don't see that as being a $300 pistol. The uprated 38T, which was the same pistol, but offering an option of a 6" barrel, and came with an adjustable rear sight and target stocks retailed $89.95 for the 4" or $92.95 for the 6". Most people have only seen the smaller rimfires like the Model 10, which were poorly made and wore out very quickly. The larger centerfire pistols were decent guns but back in the day you could buy an Iver Johnson bulldog or H&R Break-top centerfire revolver for the same money as an RG and most buyers opted to buy American. There are literally millions of RGs out there so your site will probably attracted a lot of interest...But not with me, I don't like RGs
Go to Top of Page

Spider7115

USA
24745 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2010 :  7:15:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by txlawdog

I have never heard very many positive comments regarding this company or its guns.

I wish you luck.

Me, neither. I've never seen a complete positive sentence about Rohms much less an entire paragraph!

-"SPIDER"

ALLAH KA-BAR!

GunBroker.com Moderator
The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Go to Top of Page

Lightz1
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2010 :  7:18:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for good luck messages. Mark, thank you for adding some history regarding this gun. I have 5 other guns that I am very pleased with. I found it frustrating trying to find information on this gun and thought maybe I could make it a little easier for others to obtain info. I found numerous people who inherited the gun and were keeping it because it was their grandfather's or father's gun. I welcome all comments regarding this gun.
Go to Top of Page

Lightz1
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2010 :  7:21:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check o http://rohmrg38s.weebly.com/
You will see some positive comments
Go to Top of Page

fideau
Advanced Member

USA
7506 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2010 :  7:38:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rohm RG in three.
Junk
Junk
Junk

Jim

"This ain't Dodge City. And you ain't Bill Hickok."
Go to Top of Page

Fatstrat
Advanced Member

8317 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2010 :  7:54:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is what it is. Sure they are cheap guns made for people who couldn't or can't afford better guns. Wouldn't be my choice of a firearm as I can afford better. But I'd rather have an RG than a stick.

I walk away from auto-flush toilets like movie stars walk away from explosions.....
Go to Top of Page

tsavo303
Advanced Member

7987 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2010 :  7:56:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dont see many sites on collecting sticks

how bout just buy one decent revolver

check out the site, this is one of those things where people say that they are really good because they own them

Edited by - tsavo303 on 08/27/2010 7:58:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

mark christian
Administrator

Panama
19238 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2010 :  8:00:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most RGs are built around a common frame type and yours is no exception. The swing out cylinder variation more or less began with RG-34 which was chambered for .22 short and then progressed up to the RG-35 (.22LR), RG-36 (.32 S&W) and topped out with your RG-38. When it came time to build a revolver for the .357 RG had to strengthen the design and came up with the RG-57, which could also handle the .41 Magnum, .44 magnum and the .45 Colt. They all looked basically the same and the design was uninspired. The decline in value of the US Dollar verses the German Deutsche Mark in the early 1970s and into the early 80's began to spell doom for RG sales in the United States. Your RG-38 sold for about $45 in 1973 and by 1976 it was up to about $75. That is a big price hike for a pistol like that and sales plummeted as a result. As I mentioned before; by that time you could buy an American made revolver for the same price as the RG and most buyers voted to buy American with their pocketbooks. By 1982 your revolver was priced at $125.55 and the party was over. While the Dollar was in the tank against the DM, it was plenty strong against the South American currencies and a Brazilian made Rossi .38 revolver was now priced at just a few bucks more than the RGs and were much better built and better looking guns. As a result, no one would buy RGs any longer.
Go to Top of Page

Lightz1
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2010 :  9:15:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, thanks again for the info. Has anyone seen a RG 38S break apart? Where does it fail? Where do most of the problems occur with this gun?
Go to Top of Page

mark christian
Administrator

Panama
19238 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2010 :  10:18:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You won't see a catastrophic failure like an explosion, what happens is that the damned things just break and won't shoot. Typical problems on your model are with the cylinder hand and cylinder stop, as well as weak springs. The big plus with the 34-38 series is that they have a removable side plate so that these parts can be easily replaced. The model 10 Series pistols were assembled "blind" in that there was no side plate, you had to enter the frame through the trigger opening, gut the entire revolver in order to replace a single part and then try to fit everything back inside with no view of what you were doing. Your model is not junk, bu it also has little to recommend it. Back in the days when the US Dollar was king and the RG pistols were peddled through large catalog houses for under twenty bucks they were fairly popular pistols. If they wore out so what? Just send another $20 to Firearms Import and Export Corp. and have them ship you a brand new one. Rohm started out in the 1950s as a machine tool company specializing in making drill chucks and things of that nature and got into the pistol business because the market was there and the German currency at that time was basically worthless making German exports dirt cheap. The company is still around but they sold their pistol end of the business to UMAREX a couple of years ago.

Edited by - mark christian on 08/27/2010 10:19:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

Captplaid
Advanced Member

USA
17661 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2010 :  10:39:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a hole in the kitchen wall from my wife and HER Rohm RG

Obama believes he can tax your breathing.

Liberty isn't free. It is paid in blood. -Thomas Jefferson

Does anyone remember what the Boston Tea Party was about?
Go to Top of Page

Lightz1
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2010 :  11:49:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Catplaid, Sorry about the hole in the wall. How did your wife explain it or were you there to witness it.
Go to Top of Page

wipala
Advanced Member

7088 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  12:15:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark christian

back when I first got into the gun business in the middle 1970s your RG 38S with a 3" or 4" barrel carried a retail price of $74.95, or $88.95 for the nickel version. All things being relevant; that is about three hundred bucks in today's money, and I don't see that as being a $300 pistol. The uprated 38T, which was the same pistol, but offering an option of a 6" barrel, and came with an adjustable rear sight and target stocks retailed $89.95 for the 4" or $92.95 for the 6". Most people have only seen the smaller rimfires like the Model 10, which were poorly made and wore out very quickly. The larger centerfire pistols were decent guns but back in the day you could buy an Iver Johnson bulldog or H&R Break-top centerfire revolver for the same money as an RG and most buyers opted to buy American. There are literally millions of RGs out there so your site will probably attracted a lot of interest...But not with me, I don't like RGs

Later on RG started to improve their quality (They had nowhere to go but up.) They even made 357s and 44 revolvers. I ordered one in for a man and he brought it back because when he shot it the barrel unscrewed a little more with each shot. I sent it back for him and they sent a new one back. But the guy refused it and had me sell it off for him. The guy who bought it loved it and never had a problem but I would not have fired it with a magnum load if my life depened on it.

Well bless my little pointed head I'm howling at the moon
I'm nutty as a fruit cake when the Dr plays my tune.
Dementions and Dementites from St Lou to Sacramento
Know the wierdo with the Beardo that the kids all call Demento

Oh Oh He's the guy ,the reason why your funnybone was invented
Oh if your inclined to lose your mind, Well lets all get Demented
D.E.M.E.N.T.O. Dr. Demento

Go to Top of Page

Dean Cascio

USA
1968 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  12:23:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lightz1
I've have a forum dedicated to Saturday Night Specials. We have a sub-forum that only deals with RG/Röhm Revolvers and Pistols.
Here is a link to the RG Röhm Revolvers and Pistols forum

http://www.bryco-jennings-jimenezarms.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=13&sid=a2bf2035a91134b85fad1903881d0941

Here is the URL to the main forum page.
http://www.bryco-jennings-jimenezarms.com/forum/index.php

Here is the URL to the home page.
http://bryco-jennings-jimenezarms.com/

Come check us out.
Dean
AKA Mr SNS
quote:
Originally posted by Lightz1

I recently bought a Rohm RG 38S, 38 Special Revolver. I did a lot of searching online to find information regarding this gun. I found information scattered throughout forums and personal sites. I decided to share this information with others looking for the same thing. I have put together a site online that shares information that I collected and also provides links to parts list, instructions for using the gun, stores that carry parts for this gun and some positive comments regarding the Rohm RG 38s by their owners. You will easily find a lot negative comments regarding Rohm RG. If you are looking for information regarding Rohm RG 38s revolver check out this site: http://rohmrg38s.weebly.com/

Let me know if you have any other sources for information that would help owners. I appreciate any comments.

If they don't trust us with guns, how can we trust them with the government?

Member of the FS Society

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen". Samuel Adams.

Please if you have an FFL don't do business with Cali!!
Go to Top of Page

Lightz1
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  12:25:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks wipala. Are the models that are smaller caliber than the 38 specials and up more cheaply made and more dangerous or does it have more to do with what year the gun was made?
Go to Top of Page

Lightz1
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  12:35:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dean, thanks for the invitation. I have been to your site. I tried to join as a member but when I was putting in the number/letter code I accidently put a 0 for an O and was told it was wrong and I was banned. Totally shocked me. I just tried again and they said I was banned. Guess I couln't pass the intelligence test to be a member.

Do you have any idea about what I am talking about. Have you seen others have this problem. Never been banned before. LOL
Go to Top of Page

Dean Cascio

USA
1968 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  12:37:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Member of the FS Society

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen". Samuel Adams.

Go to Top of Page

Dean Cascio

USA
1968 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  12:39:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

PM me here on GunBroker with your email address and a user name (Mr Rohm?) and I'll make an account for you.
Dean
quote:

Dean, thanks for the invitation. I have been to your site. I tried to join as a member but when I was putting in the number/letter code I accidently put a 0 for an O and was told it was wrong and I was banned. Totally shocked me. I just tried again and they said I was banned. Guess I couln't pass the intelligence test to be a member.

Do you have any idea about what I am talking about. Have you seen others have this problem. Never been banned before. LOL

Member of the FS Society

Go to Top of Page

mark christian
Administrator

Panama
19238 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  12:49:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks wipala. Are the models that are smaller caliber than the 38 specials and up more cheaply made and more dangerous or does it have more to do with what year the gun was made?

None of those guns are actually dangerous, their problems were reliable functioning and parts breakage. By the time RG Industries began selling the line out of Miami Fl, the trouble prone models like the old Model 10 were eliminated and replaced with the updated Model 14S, which was a much better pistol. Their problem now was that the damage to the name had already been done and RG was thought of a rock bottom pistol of questionable quality. Even though they now offered better and improved models, that was a hard reputation to shake off. The old Model 10 wasn't a dangerous gun, it simply was poorly designed and used low quality parts which caused it to wear out very quickly. The Model 14S solved all of those problems, but now the retail price was pushing well over $100 and people still thought of it as the old model and as a fifty dollar gun. Add in the competition from other imports like Rossi, as well as the lower end US manufacturers like Iver Johnson, Charter Arms and H&R and RGs had a tough go at the sales counter in most gun shops.

Go to Top of Page

Lightz1
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  01:07:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, I am really enjoying the information you are sharing. So many of other forums had comments that implied you could lose your hand or your life by firing a Rohm gun. Comments like you may never shoot again because you lost your hand. I even saw one person who put it in a vise and fire it by pulling a string attached to the trigger to avoid injury. The comments had frightened him. I admit it frightened me also.
Chris
Go to Top of Page

allen griggs
Advanced Member

USA
27128 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  08:27:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it named after Ernst Rohm, former leader of the SA who was murdered by Hitler?
Go to Top of Page

minitruck83
Advanced Member

USA
4412 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  09:30:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Mark, I am really enjoying the information you are sharing. So many of other forums had comments that implied you could lose your hand or your life by firing a Rohm gun. Comments like you may never shoot again because you lost your hand. I even saw one person who put it in a vise and fire it by pulling a string attached to the trigger to avoid injury. The comments had frightened him. I admit it frightened me also.
Chris

Propaganda put out by TPTB! Used as a reason to disarm 'certain elements', without being too overt about it.
Sold/traded several RG/Raum's for $20-$25 back in the day. Had some ugly ones, but they all went bang.
They were popular with the guys who wanted something that could be tossed when necessary.
BTW I still consider them a $50+/- gun.

Allen

Go to Top of Page

Dean Cascio

USA
1968 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  6:07:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a really good open discussion about RG's.
Thanks guys.
Dean

Member of the FS Society

Go to Top of Page

austin20
Advanced Member

USA
25160 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  8:01:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by txlawdog

I wish you luck.

+1
Go to Top of Page

fideau
Advanced Member

USA
7506 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  11:21:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many moons ago my brother bought 2 RG 22s in Va. The price was $14.95 each. Yes that was long before 1968.
They would shoot, but if you really wanted to hit something you had to be pretty close. Sometimes it would fire two shots at once, down the barrel and out the chamber. I think if you tried to you could break one in half with your bare hands. They began to fall apart like a cheap capgun.
Maybe they were better made later on, but still junk in my opinion, and anyone would be better served to save a little more money for some better quality.

Jim

"This ain't Dodge City. And you ain't Bill Hickok."
Go to Top of Page

mark christian
Administrator

Panama
19238 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2010 :  12:08:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fideau

Many moons ago my brother bought 2 RG 22s in Va. The price was $14.95 each. Yes that was long before 1968.
They would shoot, but if you really wanted to hit something you had to be pretty close. Sometimes it would fire two shots at once, down the barrel and out the chamber.

That was what RG called their double action variation!

Back when I first got into the gun business I remember talking to some old timers (who were not much older than I am now, but they seemed old to me then) who talked about importing RGs 10s. Back in the middle 1960s prices on that model got down as low as three bucks a piece in lots of ten thousand or more, FOB Bremerhaven, which is a major port city in Germany (then West Germany). At that time import markings were not mandatory for US bound firearms, but for an extra ten cents per unit your company name could be added. Even factoring shipping, handling and customs duties the landed price on one of those things was under five bucks and since you could easily sell them for fifteen or twenty dollars there was a LOT of profit to be made! Back in those days once the pistols hit the dock all you needed to do was run a few ads in various outdoor magazine offering up your pistols and then the buyers simply sent you their money. No FFLs were needed back then, buyers just sent the cash and you shipped them the pistol. You could also just drop a few dozen pistols off at local gun shops and split the sales money with the shop owner. Lots of small shops loved this since the owner was not out any money for the guns, he just had to keep the pistols out in the display case and then take his cut when they sold. I am betting that the RG's purchased by fideau and his brother were a deal like that one. Of course 10,000 pistols at $3 per unit added up to $30K and that was huge money back in those days, more than most guys could swing. If you just wanted to bring in a few hundred RGs there were a variety if German Sporting goods wholesalers who could do a deal with you at a higher price, but with lower unit numbers.

There was money to be made in the gun business back in those days...Not like now

Edited by - mark christian on 08/29/2010 12:12:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

fishkiller41
Advanced Member

USA
39399 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2010 :  12:19:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dean Cascio

Does that model fire GRENNY STICKUM CAPS"?
Go to Top of Page

Lightz1
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2010 :  12:36:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great information exchange. I am learning alot. Dean_Cascio at bryco-jennings-jimenezarms.com sent me some PDF links to weirdjack.com for RG guns. He also sent take-down instructions for RG26. Check out website if you are looking for this information:

http://rohmrg38s.weebly.com/

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Lightz1
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  02:27:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am taking the RG 38s to the range today. I'll let you know how it shoots.
Go to Top of Page

Lightz1
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  6:28:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took the Rg Model 38s to the range today. First shot was a bullseye at 7 yards. Talk about nerves falling away. I really like the gun. No misfires. I used Winchester and Magtech 38special. My most accurate gun is my S&W Model 10-6. This gun was as accurate. Very little recoil. Guess I got lucky with this purchase. Now we will see how well it holds up.
Chris
Go to Top of Page

tsavo303
Advanced Member

7987 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  6:32:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you know how interesting posts go "poof" when you want to read them, and then there is this post which has been lingering for weeks.

i wouldn't say you are lucky yet. what kind of group can you get with a RG at 25yds?
Go to Top of Page

mark christian
Administrator

Panama
19238 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  6:34:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear that you survived the experience .
Go to Top of Page

Dean Cascio

USA
1968 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  8:35:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Glad to hear that you survived the experience .

Ten fingers still in place always seems like a good outing to me.
Dean

Member of the FS Society

Go to Top of Page

Lightz1
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  03:41:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by fideau

They would shoot, but if you really wanted to hit something you had to be pretty close. Sometimes it would fire two shots at once, down the barrel and out the chamber.

That was what RG called their double action variation!

Back when I first got into the gun business I remember talking to some old timers (who were not much older than I am now, but they seemed old to me then) who talked about importing RGs 10s. Back in the middle 1960s prices on that model got down as low as three bucks a piece in lots of ten thousand or more, FOB Bremerhaven, which is a major port city in Germany (then West Germany). At that time import markings were not mandatory for US bound firearms, but for an extra ten cents per unit your company name could be added. Even factoring shipping, handling and customs duties the landed price on one of those things was under five bucks and since you could easily sell them for fifteen or twenty dollars there was a LOT of profit to be made! Back in those days once the pistols hit the dock all you needed to do was run a few ads in various outdoor magazine offering up your pistols and then the buyers simply sent you their money. No FFLs were needed back then, buyers just sent the cash and you shipped them the pistol. You could also just drop a few dozen pistols off at local gun shops and split the sales money with the shop owner. Lots of small shops loved this since the owner was not out any money for the guns, he just had to keep the pistols out in the display case and then take his cut when they sold. I am betting that the RG's purchased by fideau and his brother were a deal like that one. Of course 10,000 pistols at $3 per unit added up to $30K and that was huge money back in those days, more than most guys could swing. If you just wanted to bring in a few hundred RGs there were a variety if German Sporting goods wholesalers who could do a deal with you at a higher price, but with lower unit numbers.

There was money to be made in the gun business back in those days...Not like now

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page