GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 blasting a stump??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Spartacus
Advanced Member

12068 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2010 :  10:43:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
black powder is used to blast marble and granite, so what about a 2 foot wide tree stump?
i can take it out with the bobcat, but blasting it would be much more fun
what powder would you use? i have some universal.
thanks
tom

What part of 'shall not be infringed' do you not understand?

forgive your enemies, but NEVER forget their names.....JFK

The average response time for a 911 call is 4 minutes.
the average response time for a .357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

Simple Man
Advanced Member

USA
2911 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2010 :  11:05:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about a big can of common sense.

If you blame guns for killing people than shouldn't you blame pencils for misspelling words?
Go to Top of Page

gjshaw
Advanced Member

7141 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2010 :  11:08:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tplumeri

black powder is used to blast marble and granite, so what about a 2 foot wide tree stump?
thanks
tom

How high do you want it to fly and then I can tell you how much powder to use.
Go to Top of Page

bigcitybill
Advanced Member

4364 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2010 :  11:10:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In any case, use a very long fuse and post a link to the video
Go to Top of Page

forgemonkey
Advanced Member

USA
12321 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2010 :  11:13:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
,,,,,use the skid-steer to remove the stump,,,,,and then blow-up the Bobcat,,,,,,post the video!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

guntech59
Advanced Member

Faroe Islands
16566 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2010 :  11:13:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigcitybill

In any case, use a very long fuse and post a link to the video

Ditto!

US Army (Ret.)
1977-1998
Go to Top of Page

MudderChuck
Advanced Member

Germany
3437 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2010 :  11:17:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The safe distance for something like that is around three hundred yards. What goes up must come down.

Be obscure clearly.
Go to Top of Page

fishkiller41
Advanced Member

USA
39411 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2010 :  11:18:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FFFG Flash pan powder.
Get(rent a gas operated auger)and boar down to the root ball, pour in 1 lb. of the FFFG and run the green plastic coated fuse down the hole, with at least 2 feet extra out the hole.Back pack the hole with clay or a broom stick that fits the hole snug.
Light it and RUN!!!

BTW; When U spark up the fuse, yell the F-word ,3 times, then GOOOoooo!!

Edited by - fishkiller41 on 09/25/2010 11:21:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

gjshaw
Advanced Member

7141 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2010 :  11:21:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6PGKcVr-8s
Go to Top of Page

hk-91
Advanced Member

USA
9752 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2010 :  11:27:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We used a 2 ltr bottle filled with tannerite ( spelling ) to rid a buddy of his. but then his was 200 yards from his home and we sat on his roof and shot it from there. Was douting the power of that stuff till then. Guess fff pistol black powder would do the trick also. But then i would be worried about someone turning if in for makeing explosive devices.
Go to Top of Page

Da-Tank
Advanced Member

USA
2570 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2010 :  11:58:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In kentucky, you first must inform the county sher. of what you are doing. It is NOT against the law to blow stumps with black powder. If using smokeless powder you would be breaking many federal laws. Kind of dumb in my oppion.

Of course I'm out of my mind. It's dark and scary in there.
Go to Top of Page

dheffley

20960 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2010 :  12:02:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We always used fertilizer and diesel, but these days that will get you accused of being a terrorist!

Expect the unexpected!

If the Army and the Navy
Ever look on Heaven's scenes;
They will find the streets are guarded by
UNITED STATES MARINES!

I will not cede more power to the state. I will not willingly cede more power to anyone, not to the state, not to General Motors, not to the CIO. I will hoard my power like a miser, resisting every effort to drain it away from me. I will then use my power, as I see fit. I mean to live my life an obedient man, but obedient to God, subservient to the wisdom of my ancestors; never to the authority of political truths arrived at yesterday at the voting booth. That is a program of sorts, is it not? It is certainly program enough to keep conservatives busy, and liberals at bay. And the nation free. William F. Buckley Jr.

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles
Go to Top of Page

nunn
Administrator

USA
36003 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2010 :  12:05:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
We always used fertilizer and diesel, but these days that will get you accused of being a terrorist!

What did you use to set it off? Some BATF types who are supposed to know about such things tell me that a cap won't reliably set off an ANFO explosive. They suggested using a half-stick of dynamite or a small black powder charge as a booster.

GunBroker.com Moderator

Retired Texas Peace Officer/FFL Dealer

Email gpd035@sbcglobal.net

My GunBroker auctions: http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.aspx?User=3012
Go to Top of Page

dheffley

20960 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2010 :  12:09:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nunn

quote:

What did you use to set it off? Some BATF types who are supposed to know about such things tell me that a cap won't reliably set off an ANFO explosive. They suggested using a half-stick of dynamite or a small black powder charge as a booster.

We used blasting caps and never had one fail, but you had to be sure you didn't get it too wet or they wouldn't work.

Expect the unexpected!

If the Army and the Navy
Ever look on Heaven's scenes;
They will find the streets are guarded by
UNITED STATES MARINES!

I will not cede more power to the state. I will not willingly cede more power to anyone, not to the state, not to General Motors, not to the CIO. I will hoard my power like a miser, resisting every effort to drain it away from me. I will then use my power, as I see fit. I mean to live my life an obedient man, but obedient to God, subservient to the wisdom of my ancestors; never to the authority of political truths arrived at yesterday at the voting booth. That is a program of sorts, is it not? It is certainly program enough to keep conservatives busy, and liberals at bay. And the nation free. William F. Buckley Jr.

GunBroker.com Moderator

Go to Top of Page

Advanced Member

USA
7923 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2010 :  12:10:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cant blast, to many people are now in the area.
I drill holes in the stump, pour motor oil, diesel into
it, let it soak in, a few days then light it off.
burns a long time, after it burns no much left.

Post count 5790+
United StatesAir Force 1977-1999
Life Member NRA/DAV
Disabled Vet

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them"
"Sure I Wave the American Flag, Do you know a Better Flag to wave? Sure I love my Country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, Never have been, Never Will be" John Wayne
our rights are falling by the wayside,
"I donít like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders."
- Ted Nugent
Go to Top of Page

woodshed87
Advanced Member

USA
11276 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2010 :  3:17:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I was 14 my brother was Working for a Construction Company as an Apprentice blaster.
He Wanted to remove a Stump on his Lawn
Wanted to Lift it and Toward the Road a bit
Put A Few Sticks Of dynomite In the Hole And Ran Wire Back to the Pickup
Touched it to the Battery and Voila the Stump Came Out and Toward the Road "The Center of the Road HAHAHAHAHAHA." Had to Get The Farmer Next Door to Drag it Away
I Flagged traffic And Laughed A Lot

"I will cling to the Old Rugged Cross, and exchange it some day for a Crown"

"OL' WOODSHED'S TURKEY CALLS"
Available Here At GunBroker.Com

If there Is Not One Up on the Auction Site Please Ask For Me "Woody"
And I Will see that One Or More Are put Up Special For You!!

WWW.WOODSHEDSCALLS.COM

For Demo See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lFD6CWcDEI&feature=player_profilepage

2011 Spring Hunt http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acpW1cosSfk

Marisa's 2012 youth Hunt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uly9CM-DyCA

Closeup Demo Of Call
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8cMl2ZD1As
http://woodshedscalls.com/

"With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control,mud slides, flooding,
severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another,
and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks,
are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the
Pledge of Allegiance?"
Jay Leno

Go to Top of Page

DBMJR1

USA
1706 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2010 :  5:57:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom:

This is what I used to do best. BP blasting is legal, but you may want to follow the advice of notifying your local PD, if for no other reason, to prevent them from wasting time on a bogus call.

The advice about FFFG was spot on. Except use a longer fuse, and WALK, NEVER RUN, away from the stump. Being careful to watch where you are going. That's no time to step in a hole, and twist your ankle.

If it fails to detonate, wait SEVERAL hours before attempting to approach it.

Keep others away too.

You might have a dickens of a time finding the green time fuse he described. Not to worry. Your local fireworks stand will sell cannon fuse, or you can buy it online.

Hearing protection goes without saying.

If the stump is close to your house, board the windows on that side.

If it is close to your wife's fish pond, put a cot in the garage, and stash a six pack with it.

Don
Go to Top of Page

select-fire
Advanced Member

42870 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2010 :  6:40:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A 55 gallon barrel is 23.5" diameter. Cut the top off and put the barrel over the stump. Pour a couple large bags of charcoal, add lighter fluid and light it. You can put the lid on the top of the barrel or lay it halfway across. Your stump will burn. Add other wood on top if you want after she really gets going.
Go to Top of Page

11b6r
Advanced Member

USA
13192 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2010 :  6:50:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don nailed it- especially the cot and 6 pack part. ANFO is not RELIABLY detonated by a #8 cap- you DO need to use a HE booster. It MAY shoot, it may not- can also give you a low order burn with lots of very toxic orange smoke. Sensitivity to a standard #8 cap is the defining difference between a blasting agent and a high explosive. There are things I do not discuss on a public forum that WILL make a #8 shoot ANFO. To anyone that plans to be their own powderman, whether it is ffffG, Tannerite, stick powder, or pixie dust mixed with dried lightning- blasting holds a unique legal position called STRICT LIABILITY. If you do damage to someone, there is no defense that you used the right charge, did things the right way, etc. I have worked with powder nearly 50 years, so trust me when I tell you-
Break something? Nut up, money up, and shut up.

"Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine."

Edited by - 11b6r on 09/26/2010 6:51:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

tccox
Advanced Member

4477 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2010 :  9:04:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gentlemen: Just where in heck do you find enough BP to blow up anything these days?? How much does it cost per lb??

As far as ANFO, when I lived in TX, I would just go to the ammo dump on Bee Caves Rd, to Austin powder works in Austin Tx and get all I wanted. The detonators they sold for ANFO had an "8" on them. I used to buy electric and cannon fuze type. I NEVER had a failure to blow.

Best I remember, ANFO was about 20 cents/lb, store bought and half that if you made it yourself. BP was about 10 bucks/lb if you could find it. ANFO is about 10 times the explosive value of BP(my estimate)/ or about 50% value of TNT.

Now this was back before 9-11. I have no Idea what hoops you have to go thru now. Back then, all you had to do was sign a form sort of like buying a gun and that was that.

There waas some good advice about running after lighting fuze. I tripped running away and lost my glasses. After a very short search I decided distance might be better than sight and left them to their fate. Luckily I found them after the blast.

There just ain't much more fun than blowing something up. Tom

Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't.
Go to Top of Page

storm6490
Advanced Member

8138 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2010 :  10:03:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tplumeri

thanks
tom

the amish told me how to blow a stump when I was about 12 years old. it would clear oak and walnut stumps. quite a fun time.. drill out a hole in the center of the stump, you don't need that big of a hole. pack it with salt peter and sugar 50-50 tamp a plug and fuse in the top and light it up. it is not a pyrotechnic blast, it is slow and very expansive detonation. not so much loud as it is moving.

if you dont have fuse, you can make one. just run a line of the mix down the stump and you have to strike it with a detonating match head. a lit match will not ignite it... or a few volts. :)

soon after I learned this, the local pharmacist stopped selling us salt peter. we told him it was for making pickles. :)

Go to Top of Page

Spartacus
Advanced Member

12068 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  10:14:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
If it is close to your wife's fish pond, put a cot in the garage, and stash a six pack with it.

Ahhhh, the voice of experience!!

appreciate all the advice! i live in the boonies, nearest neibor is 3 miles, as the crow flies. the stump is in the middle of a field and i'm tired of going around it.

i have about lbs of tannerite, any ideas on how much i'd need? wouldn't have to worry about a fuse.......

Go to Top of Page

HandLoad
Advanced Member

12851 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  12:37:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Question for those Experienced in Blowing a Stump: Where do you place the charge to actually Lift the stump out? And How do you determine how much to use?

Eddicate me!

Laudate Nomen!
Go to Top of Page

11b6r
Advanced Member

USA
13192 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  3:29:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Where do you place the charge to actually Lift the stump out? And How do you determine how much to use?

You use an auger to make a "snake hole" at an angle under the stump- you want to roll it out, not launch it. Determine charge size? Solve equation for variable M and P. M= more and P= Plenty. There is actually a chart in blaster's handbooks- depends on size and type of stump. Unfortunately, none of my charts were for Tannerite......

"Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine."
Go to Top of Page

tapwater
Advanced Member

9163 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  3:35:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...I can't imagine Tannerite for stumps. Since the charge
needs to be under the stump, how would you get a bullet
to it to set it off?

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.******

"Send lawyers, guns and money"

Go to Top of Page

jev1969

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  3:55:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 11b6r

quote:
Where do you place the charge to actually Lift the stump out? And How do you determine how much to use?

You use an auger to make a "snake hole" at an angle under the stump- you want to roll it out, not launch it. Determine charge size? Solve equation for variable M and P. M= more and P= Plenty. There is actually a chart in blaster's handbooks- depends on size and type of stump. Unfortunately, none of my charts were for Tannerite......

He said it's in the middle of a field... LAUNCH IT!
Go to Top of Page

jwb267
pantywaist wannabe

USA
12716 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  5:36:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think each state may have a different formula. i know there is a difference between wv. and md. wv. would allow you to use more powder per delay than md.
the formula was (may have changed since i had my license)
DISTANCE DIVIDED BY 60 SQUARED for the state of md.
so if you were 1500' from a structure you could use 625 pounds of explosive per 25 milisecond delay
Go to Top of Page

forgemonkey
Advanced Member

USA
12321 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  5:56:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
,,,,,,Google,,,,blowing the anvil ,,,,,,,,
Go to Top of Page

Tempest

1111 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  6:26:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 55 gal drum idea has merit.
Go to Top of Page

Spartacus
Advanced Member

12068 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  7:02:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
.I can't imagine Tannerite for stumps. Since the charge
needs to be under the stump, how would you get a bullet
to it to set it off?

good point. any ideas?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page