GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Remington 742 Accuracy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

redpete

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2010 :  3:29:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got an old Remington 742 in .30-06. It has a 4 digit serial number (16xx) so I think it is from 1960.

I have tried a couple of different hand loads and neither of them groups very well(pattern might be a better description)…4 inch groups at 70 yards…

Does this rifle have the reputation for being inaccurate or could it be that since this rifle is old it could be shot out? I know the guy that owned it and he had quite a gun collection, so I don’t think he over used it.

I have taken the trigger group out and cleaned the inside the best I can without taking the barrel off…could the problem be a dirty chamber?

I am also going to try some different ammo and if that doesn’t work I will try a different scope, but I am just wondering what your thoughts are on the accuracy potential of the 742.

Thanks.

TWalker

1808 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2010 :  4:53:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Several that I have owned were capable of good accuracy and would regularly shoot 3 shot groups of about 2 inches with a good scope and rest at 100 yards. One in .308 did even better. The 742 must be kept very clean and lubed to work well. Even then, they have hard bolts that eventually destroy the internal rails leading to failure to feed. Keep it clean and use it only for hunting and it may last a lifetime.
Go to Top of Page

wpage
Advanced Member

USA
9184 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2010 :  5:19:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The one I owned from late 60's shot accurate groups. Like previous poster stated. There can be issues with the action. Mine started having issues extracting casings and after several repairs and finally a trip back to Remington for repairs. Sold it.
In defense of the gun many hundreds of rounds were thru it b4 it had problems.

"You shall receive power"
Acts 1:8
"My word does not return void, it will accomplish what I wanted"
Isiah 55:11
Go to Top of Page

USA
962 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2010 :  5:51:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
first thing i would look for is to make sure the screw that holds the forend on is tight. second, get a good copper remover and give the bore a good scrubbing. third, inspect the crown of the barrel.
fourth. if you are using see-thru mounts, get rid of them and inspect the ones you have if not the ones you just threw away. fifth, it could possibly be the optics. and like the others said, keep it clean especially the chamber.
Go to Top of Page

Grasshopper
Advanced Member

7434 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2010 :  6:27:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 260

first thing i would look for is to make sure the screw that holds the forend on is tight. second, get a good copper remover and give the bore a good scrubbing. third, inspect the crown of the barrel.
fourth. if you are using see-thru mounts, get rid of them and inspect the ones you have if not the ones you just threw away. fifth, it could possibly be the optics. and like the others said, keep it clean especially the chamber.

As above,, I have had several 742s and their accuracy is better than you stated. You have a problem somewhere...imo..
Go to Top of Page

deerhntr

USA
1745 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2010 :  6:59:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First thing that I suspect is that the barrel is loose,I have seen quite a few of these old 742's that are shooting poor groups group much better after the barrel is tightened. When I usually buy an older 742 I pull the barrel and scrub the chamber , then give the internals a good cleaning and lube .....Then tighten the barrel good and tight with the proper wrench..this should cut your groups in half.

Edited by - deerhntr on 10/25/2010 7:00:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

MBK

2063 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2010 :  9:57:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have three that I have bench tested, and they all are 1 1/2 - 2" at 100 yards. Now there can be a lug wear issue from the rotating bolt. Look underside at the frame tracks where the bolt passes...hold it open and look toward the chamber. I think that wearing would impact the lockup.

Bear Creek Guns in Seleah, WA will repair such wear.
Go to Top of Page

rong
Advanced Member

USA
5322 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  03:24:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IMHO, I would put
a drop of blue
loctite on the forend
screw and just snug it
up.My .02
Go to Top of Page

quickmajik
Advanced Member

USA
18444 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  05:39:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had several of them, accuracy varies.. I think guns that have been shot alot fast or been used with corrosive ammo then uncleaned until after the bore has rusted are what cause the variance.

as deerhunter said, the gun should be taken down and cleaned and then rebuilt. If your groups tighten it isnt the latter, if it is a new barrel group should be easy to find.

Edited by - quickmajik on 10/26/2010 05:40:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

RCrosby
Advanced Member

3475 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  06:31:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In addition to the advice (excellent by the way) already offered, consider the following.
Assuming the chamber is clean, barrel tight, etc., carefully inspect the crown for any damage AND, go back to the guy you bought it from (an advantage not always available) and see if he has any recommendation for preferred ammo; factory and/or reloads.

Rob
NRA Life Member
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page